1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Towny Rail System; because teleportation is boring :p

Discussion in 'Denied' started by MootPoint MK II, Jun 9, 2017.

1. MootPoint MK II

MootPoint MK II Meeper

I find myself teleporting about towny quite often and am always annoyed by how boring it is. If there were some kind of way of building roads to connect towns, furnished amply with inns, wide roads and powered rail lines it would indubitably add much to towny. I once tried to ride my horse from Peachstreet to Moria but went through five horses and four thousand meebles; the horses either died of fall damage or fell in lava and it turned into a massive waste of time. There wasn't any world map so I got lost and; and it really irritates me that I can't ride the horse I have or take a minecart from Peachstreet to the nearest town! Vanilla minecraft transportation has no meaning in Meepcraft as everybody gets everywhere via warps and teleport requests. The portals are incredibly useless to say the least, I don't think I saw a single person use the arcade portal to get to boomo after playing for nearly four hours. I'm not asking anybody to remove teleport commands because they save me a lot of time. I want to request that towns get some way to build railroads or that admins build railroads to connect towny together.

Because teleportation is a bit cheaty don't you think?

:)

If you agree that it would be nice to have towny railroads so you can get to other towns via minecarts if you are so inclined; upvote and give me feedback.

2. qazini

qazini Neighborhood Panini

Well, no one has time for traveling around, via horses or minecarts, nor does the staff team have time to implement this unnecessary thing. The problem is that people want to do stuff, and they want to get to the stuff they want to do quickly. No one would be using such a transportation system. Also, there is a (half-finished) towny world map at /pwarp Peach. If you want you can always help expand it :D

Pmx728 likes this.
  3. MootPoint MK II

MootPoint MK II Meeper

I know its impossible but it would be a really cool thing if inplemented. I'm not asking for this or demanding it; I'm just stating that this is a thing I would like to have and trying to see if other meepers would like to have it as well. I appreciate your feedback. I remember how long it took you to build a piece of road in Peachstreet Qazini so I think it's safe to say that getting towny builders to work on the railroad would be a terrible idea because maintaining all the plots needed for railroads could be expensive and towny builders would all make them differently potentially fouling up towny wild with hideous railroads. I also know that getting the staff team to help would just redirect them away from players who need help. It's a theory now but it would be awesome if someone figured out how to do it wouldn't it? Finding a way to theoretically build a towny rail system without wasting time or inviting griefing and exploits is the purpose of this thread.

SuperDyl likes this.
  4. CluelessKlutz

CluelessKlutz Badmin

Honestly, to make this work, would take hundreds of hours, and the iron just doesn't exist to connect the entire world. Not to mention the number of issues it would create.

If anyone would really like to do this, you don't need the server staff's help to build a minecart system. There simply isn't a need for the server to provide a bunch of unnecessary features when players can build it themselves.

boombox123 and SuperDyl like this.
  5. Daniel Thompson

Daniel Thompson Popular Meeper

This sounds like a good idea, but yeah it seems hard to get all the iron to connect it. But I would happily try to supply as much iron for the project as I can. But then the real major question is, which towns will have this connection for the rail project? The major ones? Then what about the minor or private ones? Great idea, but hours and hours of work to be done here. Then you have to think about major stations to change lines, areas etc. The more you think of it, the longer it would take to have the rail project. Unless you can get a total of about 40-50 people helping out, I wouldn't see this being done in the short term or anything. +1 for an amazing idea, but -1 based on how long and challenging that would be to make.

6. MootPoint MK II

MootPoint MK II Meeper

I disagree about there being not enough iron. The wild is renewed at least every three months and mining is fun so I don't really see why not. Also if the staff helped they could use stuff like world edit commands and use their ability to fly to make connecting towns easier.

7. Muunkee

Muunkee Legendary art supply hoarder

This isnt a staff thing. This is a server and community thing. Similar things have been done in the past. Make it yourself c':

Pmx728, BlackJack and Marshy_88 like this.
  8. MootPoint MK II

MootPoint MK II Meeper

But I have a life to attend to thank you very much and who is going to maintain plots for railroads? Is there a limit on how many plots you can own or do you need to pay a certain number of meebles every time period to keep a town running?

9. qazini

To claim a plot, a town pays 350 meebles, and then for every plot, they pay 50 in upkeep daily. Also, in relation to your previous comment, wild is reset really infrequently, so while iron isn't rare or anything, it's not as abundant as you seem to think. Wild has not been reset since January (when the server reset), and there are no scheduled resets for wild. Let me tell you though, just plain mapping is hard, going through caves, oceans, mountains, and forests over long distances. I wouldn't imagine this - where you'd have to clear out huge areas and lay track and whatnot - anywhere near feasible in upkeep costs or work load.

10. bloodyghost

bloodyghost local haunt

Exactly why it isn't the best idea.

Towns have to pay a certain upkeep per 24hrs to keep their plots, it can be quite expensive which makes claiming hundreds of plots unreasonable

11. Muunkee

Muunkee Legendary art supply hoarder

Mhm, and who do you suppose has the time to make a plugin that programs something like this automatically? Or the staff the time to add roads? Or figure out how permissions will work since if there is protected land there by the rail, it cannot be claimed, and causes inconvenience.

You want this done purely for the benefit of adventuring. You dont need a road to adventure<3

12. Natsu

Natsu Celebrity Meeper

When I was mapping for @Qazini , I would walk all the way across mountain ranges and swim whole oceans. No thank you.

SuperDyl and qazini like this.
  13. MootPoint MK II

MootPoint MK II Meeper

You know, you people have come up with some very good arguments against a town connecting railroad. I hadn't even considered the effect of railroad plots on town development at all! Maybe connecting towns isn't the best idea but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a fabulous idea to make local town transportation better. For example the iceboat transportation system in Peachstreet is something I would like to see developed further so that it makes stops at every intersection. In a long rectangular town, a rail loop could connect every plot in the area and a plugin that enables you to take your horse with you and claim ownership of it so that only you can ride it that also disables lead breaking would be fantastic. If your horse could teleport to you like a dog does it would be much more useful. Maybe thats what I really wanted. Thanks!

14. IzzSt

IzzSt Celebrity Meeper

+1 My duping machine can create infinite rails

boombox123 likes this.
  15. MootPoint MK II

MootPoint MK II Meeper

What kind of rails can it create? using normal rails is worse than walking. If I could get a stack of powered rail then my peachstreet tower would be complete so I'm listening.

16. Math_Pro

Math_Pro Celebrity Meeper

Enderzon is being sarcastic, do you really think duping machines are allowed, and would make gameplay fair? lol
    Anyway, it'd be really hard to get that iron, I agree, and it could interfere in the expanding of towns? Since a railroad could cut through the whole map, the plots with the railroad would block future expansion of towns.

17. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

This has been tried a few times before, it doesn't work.

18. MootPoint MK II

MootPoint MK II Meeper

I don't think Enderzon is being sarcastic though he did once troll me by placing slabs and opening chests in my plot without the appropiate permissions ( it turned out he could do that because he was a town builder for my town lol) because it's definitely possible to make a rail duplication machine though they are difficult to build. I suspect enderzon has a pigman farm and uses the gold to buy sticks and redstone and construct the rails which while not exactly a true dupe is probably way easier. As for duping machines being not allowed I have never heard of any such thing and have seen many autogrinders and farms around towny. I once saw a mushroom farm using minecarts.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 12, 2017, Original Post Date: Jun 12, 2017 ---
    What do you mean a few times? Tell me more

19. Math_Pro

Math_Pro Celebrity Meeper

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    Take a look at the rules...

qazini likes this.
  20. qazini

Duping is totally illegal, as stated above. Farms (iron, gold, plants) are, *edit: allowed* but ore farms are severely nerfed, so making one isn't worth the profit.