1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

The Stolen Generation [One of Australia's Darkest History's]

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Daniel Thompson, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Daniel Thompson

Daniel Thompson Popular Meeper

WARNING: The following thread is about the dark history of Indigenous Australia, if you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, be aware that this could be very emotional to read. You have been warned.

This is possibly one of Australia's most unforgettable chains that can never be erased from history. The Stolen Generation is the dark side for Australia, where Young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders children were taken from their families. Between 1906-early 1970's the Australian Government had planned to take the children as a way to "die out" the Indigenous Australia. In the process, hundred of thousands of families were torn apart and left to suffer the memory of their stolen children. They were gathering half-castes (also known as crossbreeds from an indigenous and white settler's child) to convert the half-caste into a white citizen via breeding them out. They would be taken to institutes to become a white Australian. This included stuff like having a white name, speaking ONLY English, behaving like a white person and having the manners of a white person. Those who had attempted to do something they would normally do as an aboriginal would be beaten, abused and assaulted until they learnt their lesson. Some have tried to escape back home, but got caught trying to and was abused a lot more severely if they were. Due to this problem, a lot of families suffered mentally and psychologically, even affecting their own children after the end in the 1970's where they stopped taking children away from their families. Over 3 decades later, the then Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd has come up with the plan for a written apology directed at the Stolen Generation; apologizing for tearing their families, their communities apart. Today in the North West part of Western Australia in the region of the Kimberley has one of the most highest suicidal rates anywhere in the world today. They are also given a commission for us using their land, for financial help, lost wages and most of all, The Stolen Generation. Some people have said that "They should just get over it", others have said that "We have ruined their history, their culture because of what we did, this is something we must be sorry for." I have only ever heard these views from Australians by Australians, that I don't know what the rest of the world thinks about this situation. Because I am very interested into reading what you think about this dark history of Australia, and what you feel is right, feel free to express what you think about it.

2. OKNEM

OKNEM Celebrity Meeper

It's really like they think they're animals. They're people. The Whites invaded their land and stole what they had. Imagine if some random stranger came over and took over your plot, invaded it and completely changed it. Not nice! This is exactly what the Aboriginals endured. I, myself being Australian, haven't got any relatives that are Indigenous, but I do know a couple that are. Fortunately, they weren't a part of the Stolen Generation, but they tell me enough to get a fair grip on it.

SuperDyl likes this.
  3. Daniel Thompson

Glad that people can be open minded in discussions like this.

SuperDyl likes this.
  4. Kling

Kling Break blocks not hearts

It was disgusting what happened to them but that was the twisted ways back then, countries all over the globe kill of people or try to control a certain ''type'' and will forever be within history. I believe there is nothing that can repair what happened back in those days but there will be a point of time in the near future that the people that did suffer from the stolen generation will pass. The views of aboriginals being considered as underlings/lesser are within our elderly and or racist families that are brought up that way.

The only thing that separates Aboriginals to everyone else nowadays are the old fashioned views that the minority still hold and the difference of how Aboriginals are treated within schooling to everyone else.

SuperDyl likes this.
  5. Achmed

Achmed Popular Meeper

You gotta remember though that the whole thing was done with good intent. Obviously it turned out pretty damn terrible, but the government wasn't deliberately trying to steam roll Indigenous Australians.

Kling likes this.
  6. Kling

I just envisioned this.
    [​IMG]

7. Daniel Thompson

*Face Palms*

8. n00bslayer_99

n00bslayer_99 i like kebab

Ever been to Darwin? Go there one day and your view will be that they need to go support themselves.

9. Daniel Thompson

Ever been to Port Hedland? My family moved away there from 2015 and has been taken over by a swarm of drug addicted, alcohol abusing people and has been in chaos for almost 18 months. By the way, I was asking people AWAY from Australia not in it, like I said at the top.

10. Marshy_88

Marshy_88 Celebrity Meeper

Hey we had that in Canada too. Except we took them to schools. Bad things happened there.

11. Natsu

Natsu Celebrity Meeper

He's from Denmark I think

Anyway, these are one of the things we can't close our eyes about, but also something that we shouldn't pressure the current generation to apologize. We need to learn about what happened in the past to change the future.

12. WhoNeedsJimbo

WhoNeedsJimbo Popular Meeper

13. n00bslayer_99

n00bslayer_99 i like kebab

Yes I am not Australian, I just lived there a few years. please don't get upset.

And yes I have been to port Hedland. It is not as bad as most large towns in the NT, like Darwin and katherine

14. SuperDyl

SuperDyl Popular Meeper

The US did a similar thing to Native Americans too. Europeans really thought highly of themselves.

Erebus45 likes this.
  15. WeAreNumberUno

WeAreNumberUno Celebrity Meeper

what is the point of this thread?
    Its not like anyones like "Oh yah that was a good thing that happened and definetly not a poop from a butt" so why is it in debate section?

16. Toostenheimer

Toostenheimer Legendary Meeper

It's an open discussion. People can debate about this topic. People can freely express their opinions about it. If you actually read the entire OP (which my best guess is that you didn't), it would make sense.

SuperDyl and Natsu like this.
  17. WeAreNumberUno

WeAreNumberUno Celebrity Meeper

I did I just really don't get it.

18. Erebus45

Erebus45 Celebrity Meeper

I thought it was about what should the government do to rectify the situation.

19. Kling

I believe the government should do nothing about the stolen generation, it happened many years ago and the people it affected will pass in years to come. If anyone thinks otherwise quote me please so we can get a debate rolling.

20. Natsu

Natsu Celebrity Meeper

They don't have a duty to do anything about it, but they should still teach it and accept the fact that it happened.

This is to ensure that stuff like this will never happen again (it probably will)