1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Terrarium/SB arena rant.

Discussion in 'Architecture' started by FamousZAmos, Oct 5, 2017.

1. FamousZAmos

FamousZAmos Popular Meeper

So I was reading some things and saw a "skyblock pvp arena" was added. I was like "ZOWIE SOUNDS DOPE SIGN ME UP" then I realized, as soon as I saw it, that it was not worth a zowie. The arena is a mess, anyone with a bow can climb into the trees and be invincible, anyone trying to melee will be constantly being messed with by slime blocks. I don't want to bash the arch's... it LOOKS great. But it looks basically unplayable.

Klutch was talking about how he is putting those passionate about X in charge of X, and those passionate about Y in charge of Y. Problem is, not many people on meep are "passionate" about PvP, which makes sense, I mean, what kind of loser PvPs on an economy server? (Thinking of at least 5 people) So the arenas are built by the arch's who are passionate about BUILDING and that's why they got "arch" is so they can BUILD. But telling an Architecht to make a good PvP arena won't work. It might look good, but It most likely won't play out well. Look at Terrarium. I don't know who built it, but it's a work of art, showing off all aspects and biomes of the game with a neat looking central spike mountain thing. Terrarium is trash for pvp though. With all the various height changes and small rivers, it's impossible to have a nice fun 1v1, it all ends up as a game of "who brought more gaps and arrows"

My point with all this is this: Klutch knows eco and how it works, so he runs it, and the eco works brilliantly.
    Arch's make pvp arenas, something they clearly don't know about or care about, and you get a nice looking arena with no good gameplay aspects.

The best arenas have wide-open spaces for bowfights, but lots of flat space for melee. The best arenas, such as CC's Desert SG map, have wide-open spaces for chases, but some areas that force players into tight spaces at times. My solution to meep's trash pvp elements is either kill off all elements of it, or put someone who cares in charge of PVP. Someone who knows what works and what doesn't. Is there someone like that on meep? Maybe. But it's far better to put someone over it who likes it than just ignore it and feed mediocre arenas to the players every few months.

(also as a bonus pvp attracts players soooooo)

2. NinjaRoxy

NinjaRoxy Guest

The skyblock pvp arena is somewhere for players to take a break and have some fun.
    It was never meant to be a pro pvp arena. As you can tell by not getting money for kills. It's there for fun.
    Most players have enjoyed their time there, and given a lot of praise for it being added. Sorry if it is not up to your standard.

OKNEM likes this.
  3. FamousZAmos

but "just for fun" doesn't meant the arena should be lacking playability

SpongeyStar, EllieEllie and SuperDyl like this.
  4. CompletePotato

CompletePotato Popular Meeper

rip meepcraft

5. FamousZAmos

pretty much, but in the grand scheme of this it's more MC dying than meep. Meep's only problem are the occasional lazy staff members and a few aspects that are out of date (all the minigames)

SpongeyStar likes this.
  6. NinjaRoxy

NinjaRoxy Guest

Well many people have played in there and we have even held an event in there. No complaints at all, except from you

riri30 and OKNEM like this.
  7. JETUB1

JETUB1 Celebrity Meeper

I'll "bash" the arch's for you.

The Skyblock Pvp Arena looks incredibly underwhelming. To give you perspective, I switched through multiple texture packs and turned on shaders after initially seeing it to see if those programs improved the look. Obviously shaders makes everything look better, but it only works so well. If this is what architect "quality" looks like in this current day, then I am thoroughly disappointed.
    Forbid me saying this on this forum. I'm used to playing on a different pvp server (not naming), sadly deceased, which had an amazing system for bringing in new maps from the community for their various gamemodes. With this, (usually) only the best were accepted, which meant the maps needed both aspects of looking great, but having the same quality in gameplay. They also had the maps updated in case there could be improvements made to gameplay.
    Both the gameplay and visuals of this arena are seriously lacking.

I am being very negative, which is something that I don't want. Though, it shouldn't be below anyone to expect better. For future reference, I suggest to the architects to not use blocks that can affect movement (i.e. soulsand, slime blocks, excessive amounts of webs, and the like) for pvp arenas. I have done this in the past with a pvp map, and it was constructively criticized a lot due to it. It really does affect performance of an enjoyable competitive experience, and what we want to provide to the people of this server is an enjoyable experience.

Anyway, hope this helps. If not, I hope future input from me does.

Well, I'll be another one of those "complaints".

cooey, triscope and OKNEM like this.
  8. LordInateur

LordInateur Deus Ex Machina Staff Member Administrator

This negativity is toxic. If you have an issue with the way something is done, it is productive to do one of the following:
    • Suggest a specific change on the forum that was specifically designed for suggestions to the server
    • If you don't want to post a suggestion, at the very least speak in positive terms in the Architecture forum (suggestions can be made without demeaning the individuals who made the builds... this is not to say that criticisms can't be made, but your words will always go further when you're kind about it)
    • Apply for staff; as many of you in this thread seem to be experts on pvp builds and various other forms of architecture, I would suggest applying for Architect
    Here are some things that are incredibly annoying and unproductive:
    • Complaining about things without offering concrete solutions
    • Bashing the individuals who have given up their free time to put work into the server
    No matter what changes are made, there are always going to be a select few that disagree with said changes. It's fine to disagree with something, but the way someone deals with a subjective dislike of something both speaks to their personal worth and character and it a huge factor into whether or not staff are going to be motivated to make changes in line with such suggestions.

SuperDyl and riri30 like this.
  9. minepose98

minepose98 Celebrity Meeper

Just because someone knows what a good pvp arena is, doesn't mean they can build one. It seems we have archs who have no idea how to build a pvp arena and pvpers who can't actually build an arena

FamousZAmos likes this.
  10. LordInateur

Such individuals might then find the first two suggestions applicable.

11. minepose98

So request an architect to make a pvp arena they don't seem to be able to make? Because that's what doing that would do.

12. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

Truth be told, as the one who created the concept of the rule of toxicity and author of the literal rule this server uses to this day

None of this has been toxic.

13. minepose98

Agreed (although you didn't make the concept of toxicity xd)

14. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

On this server I did.

cooey likes this.
  15. FamousZAmos

Fine, here's a concrete solution: Have a small group of people, combining pvp skills/knowledge and build skills/knowledge. Let them build the arena, as they're the ones who'll best know how. Implement said team on the few pvp aspects of meep, improving the server as a whole. Or simply provide a link to a pvp server for those who talk about/enjoy pvp.

SpongeyStar likes this.
  16. LordInateur

Haha that's been around for a long time, since 2012. If you created the concept at that time, kudos.

That's a good idea that should be posted.

Probably not.

17. Kling

Kling Break blocks not hearts

Indeed it does which is why I've been working on an outline for kitpvp to come back as soon as possible, with this there could be a new arena or stay with the one we were using. I plan on having PvP members looking at the map if it is remade so it's well balanced, much like the new duel arena, Castle CTF and Chernobyl Infected maps made which will be coming out in due time.

I'm glad you are expressing your views because we won't know what to improve on, if numerous players feel what's released is unplayable I'm sure changes will be made.

If more players than yourself would like the terrarium to be updated let me know and I will bring it to the admins attention for if we can get a go ahead to update it. I will gladly work on along side architects and Pvpers to have an addition that will be enjoyed by many.

LordInateur likes this.
  18. FamousZAmos

ooooh sounds hot

SpongeyStar likes this.
  19. minepose98

hooray i can get killed by people because i can't pee vee pee

20. FamousZAmos

Left click alot to do damage

SpongeyStar likes this.