1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Tech Application from Viet_Nam

Discussion in 'Denied' started by Blendyz, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blendyz

Blendyz Hipster for Life ♥

Member Name Viet_Nam

Additional In Game Names: BlendyCat

How old are you? 17

Do you have Discord? Yes

How many hours per day do you spend on Meepcraft? (average) 5

Have you ever been a Tech on a different server? Yes! Multiple.

References: Please give IGN's CluelessKlutz, AdrianBFaust, qazini, smkorpi

Introduction: Hi, I’m Viet_Nam also known as Blendy or just Evan. I’m from California and the three things I love most are computers, art, and gardening. I like jokes and I’m not afraid to speak my mind. I don’t hate many things, but one of the things I do hate is people who are full of themselves. I absolutely cannot stand these people, especially when it comes to programming. I’ve been playing on Meepcraft ever since 2014. I never have found another server to have a more enticing economy or community than Meepcraft. It may be small but it is close-knit and I love it.

I first got into computers around the time I was 9, and I was only allowed to use it for 30 minutes a day. I started playing Minecraft in 5th grade and I mostly just played single-player. One day at church(my parents are religious) this kid told me he ran a Minecraft server and he gave me the IP. As soon as I got home I entered the IP and boom, I was on. This server wasn’t particularly great or anything but this is really what inspired me to become tech-savvy. I probably spent a good week figuring out how to set up my own server hosted on my computer, and even when I had the server up I still had to figure out how to get my friend to connect. I didn’t get into actual programming until my friend requested me to make a Minecraft Mod. I got back to the internet and started doing research. What I found was the Minecraft Coder Pack or MCP. The MCP decompiled Minecraft into all the Java classes (code files). I had absolutely no knowledge of Java when I started. I just opened the classes and tried to figure out what it all meant. By the end of that day, I had added my very first item to the game, albeit it didn’t have a texture or a name. Later that year, I decided to learn Java the right way, through YouTube tutorials (specifically theNewBoston, he’s great if you’re new to programming).

Please describe your experience as a developer. The first time I really could consider myself a developer was the first time I made a game in Java from the ground up. It was an asteroid type game where the asteroids come down the screen and you have to shoot them with your spaceship before they get past you. It wasn’t particularly good, but it worked and from there I only have gotten better. I would say the learning curve for programming is quite strange. You suck at it for years then just one month you are suddenly better; you just become fluent.

I learned to make plugins in 2016. This is when programming really clicked into my brain for me. Many of them aren’t that extensive and I would say that they don’t do a great job of encasing what I’m truly capable of but they’re on my GitHub anyways so you can feel free to check them out and laugh at me (Anything that starts with “Blendy” is one of my first plugins). Shortly after, I worked for Jess_4Ds’ server “Naturalis.” I made a plugin that allowed you to wear emoji faces on your head (See project entitled “emoji-heads” on my GitHub).

I didn’t do much work with plugins for a bit after this. I could never really get any of my attempts at servers to kick off so I was a bit discouraged. I decided I’d learn HTML5 and PHP instead for a bit. PHP is seriously one of the coolest languages out there. I’ve used it to build blogs, user based applications and more. Not to mention, I learned most of my MySQL when I was actively doing PHP so I could handle the user data. I’ve been doing web design for about a year now and I’ve had a couple clients (I probably can’t share these ones).

Skip to halfway through this school year and one me and one friend from school decide to make a Minecraft prison server for fun (and money). I wanted to make the prison plugin for the server so it would be a completely unique experience (See project entitled “QuadCraftPrison” on my GitHub). After slaving over this plugin for a week it I counted the number of lines, and it was just under 3000. Compared to other prison plugins, this one was pretty efficient. It was fast and didn’t use a lot of server resources and it had some pretty cool features such as prison shop signs. After this plugin, I made a few other plugins for voting, and chat. I wanted to keep the server modular so that if anything went wrong, it could be easily contained and fixed quickly.

What programming languages are you familiar with? Java, MySQL, PHP, Javascript, and Python

What are you most proud of as your work as a developer? Most certainly my QuadCraft Prison plugin! I put the most effort into it and I learned a lot of new things. It has a little bit of everything in it: economy, MySQL, user experience, and more. It is one of the most elaborate plugins I have ever made.

How do you plan to enrich the experience of MeepCraft with your development contributions? I plan to enrich the Meepcraft experience by always being there and open to chat while I fix bugs or develop new features. I aspire to be someone who is outgoing in game as well as hard working behind the scenes.

Do you have a GitHub account or personal website? If so, please provide the link(s) here. BlendyCat (Evan Merz)
    BlendyCat - Source Code

cooey, qazini, iKitten and 2 others like this.
  2. steviefiveo56

steviefiveo56 I just build here

looks good! +1 we need some more techs!

SuperDyl and iKitten like this.
  3. Aubo

Aubo Well-Known Meeper

I like you. You're always in a conversation in global and are pretty well known on Meep. I would give you a -1 for saying Panic! At The Disco isn't that good but that's rude and you deserve a +1. So +11111111 nice application you seem to know what you're doing I think. Ok that is all good bye.

EllieEllie and iKitten like this.
  4. lanekids40

lanekids40 Popular Meeper

+3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510!

SuperDyl and iKitten like this.
  5. CasualMow

CasualMow Celebrity Meeper

Could you tell us the server names in like discord? Becouse we dont want a double tech spy.

oh well... No C++? I mean its fine without it it would just help in my opinion, This is why I wont apply for tech, Gives me a headake

My research shows me its a faction server... PURGERY! JAIL HIM/HER! jk but I would love to check it out sometime :)

Oh god... not that game... ANYTHING BUT THAT OLD GAME FROM THE 1990's PLEASE no xD

Overall I am a -/+ but I am leaning to a yes rn due to my happy mood HOPE YOU GET INTO STAFF ;)

6. Blendyz

Naturalis (Jess_4DS' server) and Quadcraft. I put the server names throughout the application.

Also no, you have the wrong QuadCraft. This was the one I started with my friend.

7. CasualMow

CasualMow Celebrity Meeper

I looked for it but found only a very VERY old planet minecraft post

8. Courtneyyy

Courtneyyy Admin Princess Staff Member Helper Media Elder

You are 110% more than qualified and I know you will do great. We need techs and you know your stuff.

Side note, you know as well as I do people will bring up the past but it’s so far gone it shouldn’t be an issue and those of us who were around then shouldn’t care. :)
    +1 good luck!

iKitten, bloodyghost, Pmx728 and 3 others like this.
  9. Enron

Enron Celebrity Meeper

Shut the hell up, Asteroid is amazing, and you're cringey af.

+1 to the app, any new tech is a good one at this point.

steviefiveo56 likes this.
  10. SuperDyl

SuperDyl Popular Meeper

When would a tech for Meepcraft need to know C++? I see some use for most of the languages when it comes to webpages and data collection but a tech mostly just needs Java to deal with plugins.

11. J055Y_

J055Y_ Celebrity Meeper

PHP and MySQL are seldom used in Minecraft server development (save for server side implementation), however your competence in Java (and JavaScript logically) is a valuable resource. I've seen you in-game and you're a decent guy.

+1

SuperDyl, cooey and steviefiveo56 like this.
  12. Blendyz

MySQL is actually used a fair amount in plugin development. Especially for large servers like Meepcraft, it is more efficient and practical to store data on a database rather than as a file.

13. CasualNuker

CasualNuker Celebrity Meeper

+1 I have something in common with @Viet_Nam we both know how hard coding can be and that’s it’s not easy

14. LordInateur

LordInateur Deus Ex Machina Staff Member Administrator

Let's run you through ComDev to see how you do (mostly to set some some minds at ease). If that goes well, Tech may be a good fit for you. Hmu if that's something that you want to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.