1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Tech Application from Guldurdir

Discussion in 'Denied' started by Guldurdir, Nov 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guldurdir

Guldurdir Meeper

Member Name Guldurdir

Additional In Game Names: None

How old are you? 32

Do you have Discord? Yes

How many hours per day do you spend on Meepcraft? (average) 2-3

Have you ever been a Tech on a different server? No

References: Please give IGN's CaliWahine otherwise I'm pretty new to the server.

Introduction: I play Pathfinder, love to play computer games, was in the beta for the Pathfinder: Kingmaker CRPG, currently in the private alpha for the Amazon MMO, New World. I spend most of my time between work and playing games.

Please describe your experience as a developer. I've been a professional developer for 14 years focused on web-based platforms that heavily utilize service based backends. I've dabbled into game dev over the years mostly with small tutorials in Unity and blender. Most recently I've transitioned to DevOps and am in charge of leading that transformation at my place of work for everything between process, tooling, and culture advocacy.

What programming languages are you familiar with? C#, T-SQL, JavaScript, CSS

What are you most proud of as your work as a developer? Being able to deliver highly performant solutions that work at scale. Most recently since transitioning into DevOps, through monitoring I was able to isolate a few key services and transition them to their own dedicated hardware. Even through this Thanksgiving season I haven't heard a peep from our servers alerts where before we would have to bring reserves online for even minor increases to normal traffic. A most proud moment from when I was writing business applications, would be a series of packages I helped design with one of our architects to help modernize our development process so we could begin to give our service platform a much needed upgrade.

How do you plan to enrich the experience of MeepCraft with your development contributions? I'm not 100% on the details of Tech responsibilities but I would imagine contributing to minor fixes at first to game code as I get familiar with the particulars of Java. Otherwise, shoring up integration points between the game client and web site as I've noticed there is some stale content between the two.

Do you have a GitHub account or personal website? If so, please provide the link(s) here. hoagsie - Overview

Unfortunately, the vast, vast majority of my career has been spent with private corporations and simply isn't public. I can give a linked in URL in a more private communication.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Meznik, CaliWahine, SuperDyl and 5 others like this.
  2. Muunkee

Muunkee Legendary art supply hoarder

I have no idea who you are but meep needs devs. Bad. So good for you.
    I just hope you know that meep doesn't pay for their development

SuperDyl, Meznik, Courtneyyy and 2 others like this.
  3. boombox123

boombox123 Celebrity Meeper

I see that you're active a lot, I see you in game a lot and you seem like a nice guy and,

DESPERATELY so +1

SuperDyl likes this.
  4. Guldurdir

Guldurdir Meeper

I had no expectation to be paid. The passion for me with code is seeing what I make being used and seeing happy users. My day job pays me what I want. :D

SuperDyl, boombox123 and qazini like this.
  5. LordInateur

LordInateur Deus Ex Machina Staff Member Administrator

Heya. So, it's no question that techs are needed. I'm currently working with admins to get some more attention paid to ComDev (it's hard for me to be consistent with Meep as much as I have in the past due to the full-time job and full-time school situation). I definitely recommend ComDev but let's catch you up to speed on Java because Java and C# are so similar, but Java is the core language that is a must-have to be tech. The techs are sort of expected to know how to already handle the ropes (ComDev is used for teaching purposes) so reach out to me in Discord and we'll discuss. For now, I'm going to turn the application down for the sake of formality, but let's see what progress is made and we might be able to promote you internally if all goes well later.

iKitten, SuperDyl, qazini and 4 others like this.
  6. smk

smk Celebrity Meeper

I still think the server would benefit from being a little more trusting with the tech role if you have a developer available. Obviously tread carefully, but don’t miss an opportunity to help the server out of fear. There is not so much to be lost as long as you’re careful.

I’m a +1, you are passionate about the server and want to help. I pray you get the chance to help with your skills in the future

7. CasualNuker

CasualNuker Celebrity Meeper

+1 We need techs so bad! @LordInateur dont turn Cali down we really need techs we have almost no one doing it now days

8. KyloMeep

KyloMeep Mipha's Grace

+1 Techs are needed as everyone else has said. If we deny more entries, progress is just going to be stagnant as usual. If we want to move forward, we kind of need to jump on the opportunity to get those who know the languages cause they don't come around often

CreeperCristi and boombox123 like this.
  9. CreeperCristi

CreeperCristi Popular Meeper

+1
    The more support the server has during these tough times, the better, especially to those like you who seem to have a very clear passion in what you desire to do
    Of course, experience comes with the job as well, so I don't doubt you would improve significantly over time

boombox123 likes this.
  10. steviefiveo56

steviefiveo56 I just build here

Good luck!

boombox123 and CreeperCristi like this.
  11. Guldurdir

Guldurdir Meeper

To those of you trying to get @LordInateur to change his mind (first, thank you! :D ), he and I talked and this isn't a no. It's a "not yet," and I understand his reasoning perfectly. We've discussed a potential timeline and are just waiting for some milestones.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 9, 2018, Original Post Date: Nov 27, 2018 ---
    Hi @LordInateur or @CluelessKlutz ,

Nothing has happened in the last several weeks around ComDev. Is there some other way I can demonstrate proficiency and get exposure?

Thanks.

iKitten, KyloMeep, riri30 and 6 others like this.
  12. Trexy

Trexy Celebrity Meeper

+1 NEED

CaliWahine likes this.
  13. CluelessKlutz

CluelessKlutz Badmin

Handled. You have been added to Comdev. For formality's sake, I am moving this application to denied and we may promote you internally at a later date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.