1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Tech Application from cdhoff

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by cdhoff, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdhoff

cdhoff Well-Known Meeper

Member Name cdhoff

Additional In Game Names: junior_tivo_tyro

How old are you? 14 y/o

Do you have Discord? Yes

How many hours per day do you spend on Meepcraft? (average) Stopped for a while but am getting back into it. I can spend up to 6ish hours a day (HomeSchooled).

Have you ever been a Tech on a different server? None that have been public

References: Please give IGN's Not really acquainted with anyone, but hope to be.

Introduction: Hey Guys! So, where to start. I was born in Jan of 03 and since 08, Ive been interested in computers. My dad is a software developer and I have began to follow in his footsteps. I spend most of my days at my computer (Heck, I even do online schooling).I am an extrovert turned introvert.

Please describe your experience as a developer. I started with HTML when I was around 10, learned a little bit, still havent figured out CSS, but I have semi-recently turned to more application-based developing. Around '12, I started following tutorials about Mod development for Java. I wasn't very good, and the best thing I could do on my own was set the velocity of any mob clicked on to insane levels. (It was kinda funny). Since then, I've been working with Java and Unity mostly. I've made basic games with Unity, mostly following tutorials. I have been working on a clicker game to possibly make some paper. Mostly, though, I experiment with different things to see what works and when it doesn't work, try again.

What programming languages are you familiar with? I am familiar with Java and C# and am semi familiar in HTML, as stated above. I am better at reading code and changing its function than making my own code.

What are you most proud of as your work as a developer? My recent plugin MineBullet. The server is too big to have a practical use as-is, but I could probably rewrite it to do some more practical things, such as notify when ram is low or tps is abysmal.

MineBullet

How do you plan to enrich the experience of MeepCraft with your development contributions? I may not know as much as someone who is paid to develop, but I am going down that career path and am learning something new every day! I enjoy helping people and, I know it sounds like I'm trying to get op on a player with 3 players, but I do know how to configure a lot of more popular plugins and even some less popular ones.

Do you have a GitHub account or personal website? If so, please provide the link(s) here. juniortivotyro · GitHub

GroovyGrevous and Pmx728 like this.
  2. LordInateur

LordInateur Deus Ex Machina Staff Member Administrator

Hiya,

Thank you for taking the time to apply today. Just a few questions:
    • You say that you don't have experience on other servers as a developer, but do you have experience on private servers as a tech? What sorts of things did you do?
    • Besides MineBullet, what sorts of other projects have you worked on?
    • What operating systems are you familiar with, and to what degree?
    • What influenced you to start learning Java or C# as opposed to other languages?
    • How familiar are you with YAML and/or JSON?
    Just a heads up, while all techs have ssh access to our development server, access to the production server is not something that entry-level techs have access to so techs in general are going to spend more time developing plugins than configuring them.

iKitten, GroovyGrevous and Pmx728 like this.
  3. cdhoff

cdhoff Well-Known Meeper

• It was my own server, and it did technically go public, but not for long. I actually wanted it to be a towny server, but then the computer I was hosting it on died.
    • There have been a few Minecraft mods and attempted plugins, but they've all been scrapped because either they didn't work or It just wasn't very good.
    • I would say I have a high level of expertise with Windows, above intermediate but not at expert levels of Linux, and have a pretty good understanding of Mac. (In case it matters, I mainly have experience with RHEL, CentOS, and Ubuntu flavors)
    • Well for Java it was at the time to make stuff for Minecraft (Mods, Plugins, etc.), and C# at the time was because I was wanting to earn money, and I thought a game would be easiest for someone my age (Not my intent now, BTW :D)
    • I can tell what YAML is doing if its a Minecraft plugin and write it to a certain extent, but not much else than that. I've barely touched JSON
    I also highly doubted I was going to have access to the main server files, so this isn't a huge shocker.

Pmx728 likes this.
  4. jadenPete

jadenPete Code Writer & Meme Trader

Besides Lord's questions, I have a few as well:
    1. How is your SQL experience? We use MySQL mostly (although a small fraction use SQLite)
    2. How experienced would you say you are in Java?
    3. Can you voice chat? Do you have Discord/TeamSpeak?
    4. Is there any more code we can see from you?
    I also have some recommendations for you:
    1. Learn SQL if you haven't already
    2. Make some more plugins, or expand upon your current one
    3. Try to learn more about the Bukkit API and Java in general
    4. And most importantly - keep developing! Learning makes you valuable and improves your experience, which makes you more likely to become a Tech or land a job in the future. Don't let age hold you back!
    If you have any questions, ask me, Lord, or any other staff!

5. cdhoff

cdhoff Well-Known Meeper

• I have been using MySQL fairly lightly for a couple years, though mostly through phpMyAdmin for websites, but I do plan on learning more in the near future. Haven't even touched SQLite.
    • I wouldn't say I'm too experienced, but I am wanting to do this to not only help the server in any way that I can, but to also get experience.
    • Of course. I do have discord, and I BET you cant guess what my username is if you would like to chat some more.
    • Well I am working on that clicker game, but It looks like CRAP, since I currently care more about it working than I do it looking good under the hood. If you dont think you'll get PTSD, I will happily post it on Github. No java code anywhere ATM, but you tell me something to make as a test and I should be able to complete it.
    If I have any questions, Ill be sure to ask.

6. jadenPete

• Do you know SQL syntax? That's what really matters.
    • If you could message me or Lord on Discord so we know your username that would be great.
    • That would be great, thanks.

7. cdhoff

cdhoff Well-Known Meeper

• Not off the top of my head. I would need to look at an external source.
    • I have already talked to Lord multiple times on discord, and if you or anyone else wants it, it's cdhoff.

8. jadenPete

Thanks, Lord or I will be sure to get back to you once the admins and us have made a decision!

9. LordInateur

LordInateur Deus Ex Machina Staff Member Administrator

We've decided to move forward with an interview. Message me on Discord to set it up!

Approved for Tech on a one month probationary period! Welcome aboard!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    cooey, iKitten, FamousZAmos and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.