1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Stop calling buying ranks "donating"

Discussion in 'Denied' started by Dat_Coffee, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Dat_Coffee

Dat_Coffee Popular Meeper

Buying ranks is not actually donating. People pay for the rank, and they get perks for it. It is a purchase, as both sides receive something. In a true donation, only one side receives anything. And for any who will say "It is not buying the rank, it is donating and getting the rank as a thank you", no one would donate if they did not get a rank from it. Try taking away all donator perks and see how many "donations" you get.

Basically people buy the ranks, not "donate" for them. Just stop calling it donating.

creepersareokay and Epicdude141 like this.
  2. TheArmyOfGames

TheArmyOfGames New Meeper

That is true, at least most of it.

I do, also believe that you buy ranks not donate for them. I mean, if you didn't get any perks Meep would honestly become nothing. So out of 100% of "donators", I'd say if the donor perks were taken away only 1% of people would probably donate. I do think that strongly because RankSellers. They don't say "Selling Donations lol they say "selling ranks" . Also, "I believe I can fly, and so can you. Donate for ultimate or whatever it is lol. There's meep announcements like want perks, donate!

I love Meep, and totally agree on this with you. But let's call it Buying Ranks/Perks.

~TheArmyOfGames and her strange reply lol

3. adlovesdogs

adlovesdogs ex-staff <3

The page is called "donate", therefore it is a donation.

SpongeyStar likes this.
  4. TheArmyOfGames

Well, I guess but a lot of people only donate for the perks... :(

5. Deljikho

Deljikho Lazy Swami

Why does it really matter whether it's called one thing or another? The concept is the same no matter what..

metr0n0me likes this.
  6. TheArmyOfGames

Idk this is what happens when I'm bored at 1am xD

7. K scheik

K scheik Popular Meeper

Something's name says literally nothing about it. Put a "juice" label on a bottle of water, does that make it juice? With all due respect, all these staff arguments are just "end of story, it's called this".
    It is indeed 1 A.M. for me. :/

Go ahead and take the perks so people simply "donate" their money. They won't do it as much. People do it for the ranks, because people are usually smart enough not to just drop money down the drain.

Cherrykit, Dat_Coffee, 00000 and 8 others like this.
  8. adlovesdogs

adlovesdogs ex-staff <3

Moved to discussion. This is not a suggestion.

9. UglyUnicorn

UglyUnicorn Celebrity Meeper

That's a pretty dumb and ignorant explanation. The page is called "donate", but are you actually donating? Or you are you buying a rank. You're pretty ignorant on this topic, and you didn't even provide evidence of why you claim your side. My evidence are the comments above, and Bolthur's discussion thread. Just saying, so you don't turn my words on me.

10. epick8

epick8 The Meme Lord

bolthur made an amazing argument on this topic

11. Cookies713

Cookies713 Celebrity Meeper

The page doesn't have to be called donation, therefore it doesn't have to be called a donation.
    Leagl definition of purchase: "To buy; the transfer of property from one person to another by an agreement. Under the Uniform Commercial Code, taking by sale, discount, negotiation, mortgage, pledge, lien, issue, reissue, gift or any voluntary transaction." -West's Encylopedia of American Law, 2nd Edition.
    Definition of donation: "1. The act of giving to a fund or cause. 2. A gift or grant." -American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.

Face it, it's buying, not donating.

12. marshallmafers

marshallmafers Celebrity Meeper

Yea amazing point. I've argued for years that you're not ''Donating'' to receive ranks you're using your money to buy something. Anybody who says that it's donating is retarded. You donate to a cause or an organization because you believe in what they're doing while in the process you're not receiving anything back from them. In this case you're spending $$$ to receive a rank that is actually worth something in a game.

You don't 'donate' money to receive a product, you spend money to get it. I'm not donating money when I buy food, I'm spending it to get the food.

metr0n0me and Cookies713 like this.
  13. Ace

Ace Celebrity Meeper

I'm not sure why you moved this to discussion. The title of the thread seems like a suggestion for me.

creepersareokay and metr0n0me like this.
  14. metr0n0me

metr0n0me Legendary Meeper

LadyCassandra and cooey like this.
  15. kwagscraft

kwagscraft Celebrity Meeper

I don't think you understand a difference between a purchase and a donation.

metr0n0me likes this.
  16. chaos546

chaos546 Canadian Forums Stalker

Moving back to suggestions, as this is indeed a suggestion and not a discussion thread.

As for the topic at hand, I don't understand why the name bothers people so much. Does it actually matter? Really?

17. Deljikho

Deljikho Lazy Swami

But, what difference does it make?? Can anybody please elaborate further on this? I've read bolthur's argument already as most of you have. Let's assume that Meep begins calling them purchases, what difference does that entail in the grand scheme of thing. Is anything going to change from an administrative perspective? I don’t think so. How about from the player perspective?

Here's some social philosophy, hopefully I can get my point across:

The town of Carlton, Wisconsin was an average middle class American town. The town population had exactly 1,000 people in the year 2,000. There was a nuclear engineering company that wanted to start a reactor in the town of Carlton. Now there may be possible side effects to having this reactor moved there, possible birth defects and health hazards associated with being exposed to radiation. Furthermore the nuclear plant would need to dump its waste into a landfill or purchase a body of water to dump it into.

The nuclear plant conducted a survey to see how many residents would accept having a plant in their very small town. It was sent to 500 people. They illustrated that this town was chosen because of its size, if something happens it will only happen to a maximum of 1,000 people, versus bigger towns/cities that may have up to 200,000. Surprisingly over 70% of the population had accepted the nuclear plant to move into their hometown.

The plant sent out a second survey to the other 500 people. They illustrated all of the same topics as before, but they included a cash payment to sweeten the deal. The plant said they will pay every household $15,000 a year for as long as the plant remains active. Guess how many accepted the offer? Less than 20% took the deal, identical in every way except one.

The conclusion is that the residents rejected the second deal because it was a payment. They didn’t want to hassle with dealing with payments, they viewed it as though the company was trying to negotiate a transaction with them, and they didn’t like that. The first scenario was accepted because it was a sense of duty (which doesn’t tie in 100% with this point).

I assume that as soon as Meepcraft changes the wording from donate to purchase then sales will drop. People feel more important when they ‘donate’ and like they’ve been swindled when they ‘purchase’. It may not seem like much but wording does matter, we are all social creatures and we have deep set thoughts about the connotations that come along with certain words. Therefore I vote that donation should remain, otherwise we may have an unseen consequence of ranks sells decreasing.

metr0n0me, Toostenheimer and chaos546 like this.
  18. Thee Boss

Thee Boss Celebrity Meeper

do·na·tion
    dōˈnāSH(ə)n/
    noun
    noun: donation; plural noun: donations
    1. something that is given to a charity, especially a sum of money.
      "a tax-deductible donation of $200"

19. chaos546

chaos546 Canadian Forums Stalker

That point has been made several times.

I ask again: why does it matter? At all? Why do you all care so much about the name?

Thank you for such a well-thought out and well-written post. This is the kind of thing that should be seen on two sides of an argument :) While I'm not sure that the change will be as drastic as you say, I again want the other side to have a very good reason as to why it needs to be changed.

metr0n0me and Deljikho like this.
  20. Thee Boss

Thee Boss Celebrity Meeper

false advertising is false advertising. A business shouldn't be able to thrive under the act of false advertising.

metr0n0me and Deljikho like this.