1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Spongey's guide to a great town!

Discussion in 'Towny Guides' started by SpongeyStar, May 31, 2015.

?

Do you like Towny?

1. Yes!

93.1%
  2. Nope..

6.9%
  1. SpongeyStar

SpongeyStar Professor in Wumbology

Towny is the main server of Meepcraft. Many players there everyday, joining towns or creating towns. I'm here to teach you how you can start up a great town, and sustain it!

~Buying the town~

So as you know, towns cost 200k to buy. But I recommend you have 300k, so you can deposit 100k once you buy it, other wise it'll fall quickly.
    Once you have sufficient funds, go to /warp townsa or /warp townsb (whichever server you want to create your town in) then do /random. This will randomly teleport you to a part in towny wild, where you can find a place to settle your town. Once you've found a place, you can do /t new [townname] (Bear in mind you can always change the town name, it won't be like that forever!) After you do this command your town is created! Congratulations! *party time* Remember to deposit money into the town bank, by doing /t deposit [amount] because you don't want the town to fall the next day, that'd just be a waste of the 200k!

So you have succesfully bought the town and deposited money, so it's safe. Well, towny is about having residents and plots right? Well that's what we will get to!

~Claiming Plots~

Now, you are in need of plots, in order to have residents. But instead of just having plots, I recommend you build your town spawn first. It can be however big you want it to be, or just a few signs saying the rules. Purely up to you. To claim plots, do /t claim. This will automatically claim a 16x16 plot, which is the standard size. So your first plot can be your town spawn! More on the spawn next. This will cost money to buy plots, so make sure your town never gets low on funds. Once you've built a basic spawn, you can start making resident plots. Just go to the edge of the claimed plot, until it says 'Wilderness' then do /t claim. You've got a resident plot! Now you can just put a border around the plot, so its visible. I suggest putting stone slabs around the plot, instead of whole blocks. But just make sure it suits your town theme ;)

~Town Spawn~
    So you've bought your town, claimed a few plots, now what? Well what better way to invite residents to your town by having a town spawn! If you're a beginner I suggest making a town spawn that's just the normal 16x6 size. Make sure it has a few town rules, town info to help new players etc. If you are more experienced, go for a 32x32 one! I just stick with 16x16 since they are nice to manage. When you make this spawn make sure you do /t set spawn and /t set homeblock in the center so players can come to the town with ease.

~Town Upkeep~

So you've claimed a few plots now and made a town spawn, right? Well, claiming these plots does cost money. If you do /t, you will see info about your town. You can see it says "Bank" and "Town Upkeep." These are important, because without sustaining these, it'll result in your town falling. Town upkeep is based on the number of plots you have, so the more you claim, the more town upkeep, which means the more money you'll need in your town.

~Taxes~

You know about the town upkeep now so what, are you just suppose to get your own money for the town? Well you don't need to! You can set daily taxes for the residents to pay automatically. To do this, do /t set taxes [amount]. NOTE: Make sure you warn all residents you are changing taxes, give a 2 weeks notice. If you want to make the message clear do "/t set board Changing taxes from [x] to [y] in 2 weeks! Be prepared."

~Plots~

Let's get straight to the point here. Before your resident can claim the plot, you're going to have to put it up for sale. To do this, do /plot fs [amount]. You can set your plot to cost an amount, I recommend put it at a low amount to attract more players ;) Once you put it for sale, the resident can stand on the plot and do /plot claim. Easy! They've claimed your first plot!
    But then there's those times where there's a plot for sale, and it has something built, or someone elses things. You don't want anyone else claiming it and taking the stuff, so stand on the plot for sale and do /plot nfs.​

~Adding Residents~

Okay, you have made a few plots. Well why did you make those plots? To invite residents, of course! When you are in towny, you sometimes see someone say "/w May I please join a town?" this means that there is someone in need of a town, and are eager to join one! To add someone, do /t add [playername]. When they accept, it'll say on your screen 'Player has joined the town!"
    Yay! First resident! Well, I recommend doing /msg [player] Do /t spawn and I'll show you around!
    Because sometimes there's those players who are very new and don't know about /t spawn etc...So you'll need to tell them. Once you see them at the spawn, you can tell them to read the rules (if you have any) then guide them to a plot!

~Maintenance~
    So you've made a few plots, you've made a town spawn, invited some residents so now what? Do you just sit there and wait for something magical to happen? (maybe...) No! Your residents can't just sit with their houses/plot blankly, they gotta be involved! Here's a list of things you can build in your town:
    - Town Hall - You could have weekly meetings, announcing updates to the town or getting suggestions
    - Shop/mall - Even though /shop is here, there still might be some people who prefer chestshops. Just build up a community mall or shop for people to buy things!
    - Communal Workroom - Have free to use anvils, furnaces and enchanting tables
    - Grinders - If people want to enchant they're gonna need xp. If you are elite+ build a mob grinder to get easy xp!
    - Farm - Have a food farm and an animal farm, it looks nice and people can take some food if they need it.
    - Rides - Have a local swimming pool or waterslide just to get the joy out of the residents.

~Towny Perms and other important things~
    Towny perms are very important in order to make a town successful. These help if you want to allow people to break things in certain areas, allow people to freely join a town without an invite or even toggle explosions on plots. I'm not a boss on perms so I'll hand you over to this thread here, which explains the main towny perms every mayor should know. http://meepcraft.com/threads/theeditsons-guide-to-towny-perms.690/
    You should also get to know the towny rules before creating/joining a town which you can find here: http://meepcraft.com/threads/towny.39525/
    Also, here is a list of commands every mayor should know (Credits to TheSquirrelman)​

~=~

This guide was last updated on 17 July. This isn't the end of the thread, I will add more as the days go past! I hope you learn from this thread, and if there are any mistakes, please do inform me! We don't want new players doing the wrong thing, do we?

Have a nice day,
    - Spongey :D
    ~=~

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  2. Chickenator

Chickenator Popular Meeper

GroovyGrevous likes this.
  3. SaracenTheLeader

SaracenTheLeader Popular Meeper

Nice post, easy to understand. <3

4. SpongeyStar

Yup, tis coming. I just have to go to bed very soon, and i'm getting tired! I'll be thinking better in the morning!
    I'm also adding a list of basic towny commands, too
    and thanks!
    --- Double Post Merged, May 31, 2015, Original Post Date: May 31, 2015 ---
    Thanks! More to come, more to come ;)

Darke_Amethyst likes this.
  5. Meeting

Meeting Popular Meeper

Its a super good guide but you might say how much a plot cost for the town daily I didnt saw that. Maybe also how you are making the town open (so all can join if they want) and public (so other people can come to it)

Well I hope you will add that ;D

SpongeyStar likes this.
  6. GroovyGrevous

GroovyGrevous Break hearts not blocks

Good job Spongey :)

SpongeyStar and Darke_Amethyst like this.
  7. Adam34falcon

Adam34falcon Celebrity Meeper

Great job Spongey! +10 :):cat::phantom::playful:

SpongeyStar likes this.
  8. cooey

cooey Legendary Meeper

good job. Help dem new players

SpongeyStar likes this.
  9. Jdude5786

Jdude5786 Popular Meeper

10. ToonMichaela

ToonMichaela Celebrity Meeper

You forgot to add: add Self-destruct mechanism.

SpongeyStar likes this.
  11. Jdude5786

Jdude5786 Popular Meeper

I thought that was implied. My entire metropolis is laced with TNT. Someone pisses me off and Boom End of story.

cooey, SpongeyStar and ToonMichaela like this.
  12. SpongeyStar

Updated <3

13. minecraftsongs

minecraftsongs Celebrity Meeper

this is a good thread, haha. Nice job.

14. RoyalTea

RoyalTea Active Meeper

According to the towny rules:
    Otherwise this is a great guide for players wanting to start a new town.

15. SillySilver

SillySilver Celebrity Meeper

Only if there was a way to recognize who are active and who are not...I am sick of kicking inactive players out from my town.

16. CrackCrazy

CrackCrazy Celebrity Meeper

17. The_Unkown675

The_Unkown675 Celebrity Meeper

Same

18. SpongeyStar

NEW COMMAND:
    Recently added was a command /plotlist, where you can see the list of plots you own and you can tp to that specific plot by doing /plotlist tp [number]. This is extremely useful!

Couldn't add to the first post since there is some sort of internal error

GroovyGrevous likes this.
  19. Achmed

Achmed Popular Meeper

Bravo spungy... Remember to mention that Achmed's town is numbah juan

SpongeyStar likes this.
  20. ToonMichaela

ToonMichaela Celebrity Meeper

spongey you forgot to add this fail-safe on the list