1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Should the alcohol drinking age be increased or decreased?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Marthacuddles, Mar 1, 2018.

?

Should the alcohol drinking age be increased or decreased?

1. No

2. Yes

3. Unsure

4. Increased

5. Decreased

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. alex77034

alex77034 Hey baby, I hear the blues a-callin'

I can relate to those friday nights when I drank bottles of listerine and niquil too. ;)

FamousZAmos likes this.
  2. Courtneyyy

Courtneyyy Admin Princess Staff Member Helper Media Elder

In most places outside of the US 18 is the legal age and with majority of teens drinking already by 16-17 decreasing wouldn't change anything. You're either going to be a responsible person or your aren't ultimately it's up to you. During highschool I remember pretty much everyone, with the exception of some Freshman, smoked Marijuana and cigarettes and also drank every weekend because they either had one or knew someone with an older sibling.

I definitely don't think it should be increased because in the US at 18 you can fill your lungs with smoke if you so choose, buy and carry a gun(in some states), or sign up for the Military. You are considered an adult even though most 18 year old people are just now starting out and living their own life aren't much of an "adult" quite yet. As Deinen mentioned raising the age reduced the DUI numbers back then but like I said you're either going to be responsible or you aren't. At least now we have things like Uber and Lyft and safer ways to get around instead of drinking and driving so I believe if they were to lower it things would be fine however, they definitely won't.

alex77034 likes this.
  3. Marthacuddles

Marthacuddles Celebrity Meeper

Actually, no. I know about 50/50 on each

4. n00bslayer_99

n00bslayer_99 i like kebab

Denmark's legal purchase age is 16, there is no restriction on how old you must be to consume.

[​IMG]

5. MeepLord27

MeepLord27 Popular Meeper

Your own experiences are irrelevant. According to data poor people commit more crime.

Enron likes this.
  6. MeepLord27

Don't post when you clearly aren't capable of having discussions about this.

At no point did I make any normative claim about what should or shouldn't be done to poor people. Additionally what I said seems to be born out in the data: Are poor less likely to use drugs?

That moment when your get 10 good boy points for interpreting data.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Enron likes this.
  7. Marthacuddles

Last time I checked you can't tell people where to post..

MeepLord27 likes this.
  8. MeepLord27

About 51% of the people I know think I can tell people where to post and since a sampling of people you personally know is the standard for determining truth I think I am in fact allowed to advise lollisweet on her posting activity.

9. Its_Madison

Its_Madison Professional Nerd

It is commonly known that alcohol can affect your liver function, but there is a lot more damage done to your body besides the liver when you drink alcohol, according to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA).

Here is a list of the possible effects of alcohol on the body according to the website:
    -Brain communication pathways and overall structure alteration, resulting in loss of coordination and mood changes
    -Cardiomyopathy (stretching of heart muscle)
    -Heart arrhythmias (irregular heart beat)
    -Stroke
    -High blood pressure
    -Fatty liver
    -Alcoholic hepatitis
    -Fibrosis
    -Cirrhosis
    -Pancreatitis
    -Cancer of the mouth, esophagus, breast, throat, and liver
    -Weakened immune system

According to another NIAAA article, "7.7 million young people [in the United States] ages 12–20 reported that they drank alcohol beyond “just a few sips” in the past month", in 2015. Youth around that age may think that drinking alcohol is mature or cool because they are breaking the rules. Some choose to drink because of peer pressure or because they feel like they need something to help them cope with stress. What they probably don't think about are the health effects of alcohol that I listed above.

According to a health encyclopedia entry by the University of Rochester Medical Center, teens brains, specifically the prefrontal cortex (the rational part of the brain), aren't fully developed until the age of 25. Instead, teens think with their amygdala (the emotional part of the brain). As a result, teens tend to think with their emotional impulses and feelings rather than rational thinking. This most likely plays a part in teen alcohol use: teens make the decision to drink due to their feelings, which can be influenced by anger towards their parents, peer pressure, and stress from schoolwork and life.

Therefore, I believe that the drinking age should be set at 25, because adults with fully developed prefrontal cortexes are able to make more rational decisions weighing the benefits and harmful effects of drinking alcohol in comparison to younger people.

Edit: Added some words

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Enron likes this.
  10. builderjunkie012

builderjunkie012 Celebrity Meeper

Getting drunk will kill your gains

11. Summers

Summers Hot Meeper

I'm somewhat curious to who selected "decreased" to the poll.

Enron likes this.
  12. builderjunkie012

builderjunkie012 Celebrity Meeper

Nobody over 21

13. FamousZAmos

FamousZAmos Popular Meeper

edgy 12-year olds.

why are "yes" and "no" options to an "either/or" question. Would make more sense as "Increased/Decreased/Keep it the same" I think

SpongeyStar and Enron like this.
  14. MeepLord27

I was advising you on where to post, not commanding you to stop.

15. Marthacuddles

i got confused at first because i didnt add increased/decreased. at first i added only yes/no. you cant delete poll questions so i had to add the other 2