1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

President Trump

Discussion in 'Debates' started by creepersareokay, Nov 8, 2016.

?

How Will Trump Do In Office?

1. Good, mang

44.2%
  2. Not so good, mang

55.8%
  1. qazini

qazini Neighborhood Panini

Well, as a general definition, it's those who don't cling to traditional values/systems, and introduce and accept new ideas.

2. MeepLord27

MeepLord27 Popular Meeper

Ok, I then fail to see how either party is de facto progressive. I think defining groups as libertarian vs authoritarian is more accurate.
    Republicans don't really want welfare, welfare has been a thing for a pretty long time, so isn't it progressive?

Ranger0203 likes this.
  3. qazini

First off, notice the word 'general'. Both parties seem to have contradictory beliefs (Or at least believe the other side does), and it's hard to pinpoint where each party stands, as people in a party have different opinions. From this, you would take the general lean of a party to classify it's progressiveness. So, at the towards slavery's end, northern republicans were considered the most progressive, since they believed in abolishing slavery, which was a thousand year old custom, and had always been in the U.S. till then. Right now, democrats are considered more progressive because of their stance on equality, and a lot are veering away from religion, another old custom, while republicans are considered to hold to more traditional values on family and etc.

I tried my best to explain this, I don't know how well it came out.
    Basically, a party isn't just defined by one thing (in your example welfare), but a sum of it's parts and the beliefs they portray as most important.

Deljikho likes this.
  4. cnkropp

cnkropp Popular Meeper

I was pretty much going to say what Qaz said.
    Defining groups as libertarian vs authoritarian isn't accurate. Having two parties that are libertarian and authoritarian don't specify ideologies. You can have a party that's right libertarian, right authoritarian, left libertarian, left authoritarian.
    Welfare isn't a traditional ideology. (Its only been around since the 30s and it's a social program) I wouldn't classify being against welfare as being progressive, it's just holding onto traditional beliefs even harder.

5. MeepLord27

Alright, in ancient greece, gay was a okay, so anti gay people are progressive right? How does something being around since the 30s not make it traditional? Its been almost 90 years since the 30s.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 5, 2017, Original Post Date: May 5, 2017 ---
    Exactly, its too general, so how can you say that democrats are more progressive, its too general.
    Only by other democrats. Most people consider there "stance on equality" as regressive, hence the moniker of the regressive leftist agenda.

6. cnkropp

cnkropp Popular Meeper

Welfare was founded off a progressive movement during the Great Depression. Therefore, being against it isn't being progressive, it is reverting back.
    Democrats are more progressive in a sense that they are willing to let of traditional ideologies for new ideas.

7. metr0n0me

metr0n0me Legendary Meeper

This argument is literally semantics, lol. What's the point?

Erebus45 likes this.
  8. MeepLord27

Well isn't everything founded off a progressive movement? Theres always a bigger fish.

This doesn't respond to what you quoted.
    I'm a millennial so I hate labels. In all seriousness though, it annoys me how keyboard warriors co-opt words to stop people arguing with them. They claim you can't argue against feminism, because feminism is just equality for men in women, they will claim that they are progressive, so if you fight them you are fighting progress.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  9. qazini

Maybe it was. I mean, the world had different values in different places. As a whole, it wasn't ok, especially in the last few hundred years.

It's the main points in the party's ideologies. This is all general, cause every single person has varying views and beliefs, if you're talking about it being too generalized, maybe remove the parties all together, since most people don't agree 100% with their party. But basically, democrats are, as cnkropp said, moving away from traditional ideologies and republicans are mostly staying with them.

I wasn't making a stance either way, I was just saying that's how democrats view themselves.

10. metr0n0me

metr0n0me Legendary Meeper

How about we define "progressive" as pushing for social change, as opposed to tying it to new ideas?

Progressive ideas seek to challenge the status quo, and conservative ideas seek to preserve the status quo.

Erebus45 and cnkropp like this.
  11. cnkropp

cnkropp Popular Meeper

Are you saying this ironically? "Millennial" is a label, and we aren't even millennials.

Deljikho likes this.
  12. MeepLord27

Yes absolutely. Its a meme started on Tomi Lahren's show.

metr0n0me and cnkropp like this.
  13. cnkropp

cnkropp Popular Meeper

Got it lol.

14. Blue_Marlin

Blue_Marlin Popular Meeper

Sounds like a Liberal.

Republicans love the country in a way it was founded.
    Democrats love America for every other person except Americans.

Equality for gay people and allowing men to use female restrooms.

The idea of if you get pregnant and have a girl but want a boy you can self identify your child as a boy.
    The one she was wrongfully fired from.

15. MeepLord27

The country was founded on the basis of good values, but its important to remember it was founded with the consideration that black people were worth 1/3 of every white person. Republicans love the values that were put into practice by the contstitution.

Pmx728 and metr0n0me like this.
  16. Blue_Marlin

Yes and we're past slavery. The problem with segregation and slavery is the black people wont move on. What's crazy is the people who pull the "race" card and the "it's because in black" are the people who were born in the 90's + and weren't even around for segregation. It's time to move on.

17. MeepLord27

Right, so conservatives are in favor of a set of values, not a time period. "Supporting" the time period when the country was founded has some moral quandaries, "supporting" the values it was founded on is one of the most morally solid things you can do.

Pmx728, Ranger0203 and metr0n0me like this.
  18. Blue_Marlin

I think you may be misunderstanding what I am saying. What I'm trying to say is Republicans support the Constitution. Democrats want to change it. I don't think anyone (besides a horrible/racist human being) would ever support slavery/segregation.

19. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

What part of the Constitution do democrats want to change?

If I recall it was you who put down in a post that people who disrespect the military/fire/police should go to prison, so.....

Pmx728 and qazini like this.
  20. Ranger0203

Ranger0203 Celebrity Meeper

Sounds like a conservative.
    She wasn't actually fired; her contract wouldn't permit that. She was suspended indefinitely (with pay, I believe). Anyway that's what I heard.