1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Make Bans In-Game public again

Discussion in 'Denied' started by Killer2themx, Feb 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evilalec555

evilalec555 Celebrity Meeper

2. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

Unless it's you getting banned, it's really none of your business what is going on with other people, unless they tell you.

3. Jess_4Ds

Jess_4Ds Ya Know!

This is not going to happen. The main reason being that most players can not handle seeing the ban. Not only does chat get spammed but the banned player may be innocent (which is why they can appeal), and players are the first ones to say hahaha look what he got banned for. As far as not knowing if someone was banned any player on the entire server can type /seen and if their name is crossed out you know they have been banned. Yes there are a lot of servers out there that make their bans public but none that I have seen with a high player count. I mean do you see so and so was banned on the big name servers? I don't and there is a reason for it. Bans most definitely should stay private and if you really must know the reason why a player was banned ask them yourself. You can either ask them when they come back or msg them on forums or by other means of communication.

4. KlutchDecals

KlutchDecals The Real Ironman Elder

Its bad enough when we have to see #UnbanmyhomieVKL.

No wayyyy jose.

fasehed and lordusan like this.
  5. Landonator419

Landonator419 Celebrity Meeper

Then make it so players can see and staff can't :D

6. lordusan

lordusan The true #DarkKnight

+1, as a new player, this is mainly how I learned most of the rules,
    although the spam that comes after is slightly annoying. /gtoggle could do the trick or /kicks?
    Kicks dont need to be advertised lol.

7. ShadowVirus52

ShadowVirus52 Celebrity Meeper

+1, never should have changed it in the first place.

lol @VKL_ReWinDzz @kdocherty7 @ohDraqq

8. VKL_ReWinDzz

VKL_ReWinDzz Celebrity Meeper

Lol don't wanna be unbanned anyway xd jokes on hin

9. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

I was the one who had the ban messages removed. I asked for them to go away because I was sick of seeing staff, including myself, being questioned by 20 keyboard warriors that felt the need to question the ban, ban reason, and/or ban time.

It's really none of your business why anyone else but you is banned. Ignorance isn't an excuse to not follow rules, and a ban message doesn't negate that.

This is literally a case of kids wanting to know things that simply aren't their business.

10. Trexy

Trexy Celebrity Meeper

-1, bans are not community information.

Deinen likes this.
  11. legendcaleb

legendcaleb Celebrity Meeper

I know plenty of servers that have over 4k players on a bad day and peak at around 10k, and their ban messages are shown in chat. It let's players know the staff is doing their job
    +1

metr0n0me likes this.
  12. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

You're not their boss, it's not your business if they are doing their job.

13. Lord_Walrus

Lord_Walrus Popular Meeper

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ spoopy polir ber

Splasho likes this.
  14. legendcaleb

Wouldn't you want to know if the server you played on is run by an administration who actively participates and helps out. In a way, the entire server is the administrative's boss, the majority's wants is what the administrators work on supplying. Letting the server see what's going on helps it get an idea on how well the administration listens to the server

metr0n0me and CreeperCristi like this.
  15. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

Nah, as long as I get help when I file a modreq, and the gamemodes I play aren't broken, I couldn't care less about what else they do. Bans have very little, if anything, to do with measuring how well administration listens to the server.

16. legendcaleb

Fair enough

metr0n0me likes this.
  17. Dart_Knight

Dart_Knight Popular Meeper

Here's how I see it (I'm not flaming or anything, just stating my 2c):
    Pros:
    1. Retainment of the rules. Players get reminded of what the rules are and it sets a standard for the rest of the players on a server.
      With the current amount of players we have online there is no "endless players..", spamming would only last like 5 seconds if any. Spamming (for at maximum like 5 seconds) would only happen if a significant figure got ban for a long time. Spam of "why was x ban" instead happens and actually produces more messages. New players are pushed away for other reasons than just "spam." Spam only accounts for a little amount of new players leaving.
    2. More communicative to the players/staff.
      ^ Perfect example. I feel like this happens a lot in game too. "Ban player x he advertised (or is hacking, etc. etc.)." Staff member speaks and says "He was just ban"
    3. Discourages new toxic players - Toxic players that join and see that mods/staff actually crack down on poops like him will make him leave, no harm done.
    Cons
    1. Bans a private... Yes I do feel like bans are private but if you do something illegal word is going to get around anyway. Also, rule breakers are not soft people. They can handle being embarrassed in front of people they don't know.
    2. The amount of times staff gets questioned... I feel like one of the qualities a staff member should have is self assurance. They need to know that what they're doing is for the best and if they are wrong in an incident, it's easy to change. I feel like if players ask why was x banned for y amount of time and the staff member replies with an educated response, that staff member would get respect for the community (something we need more of). If anything I see this more as a pro.
    There are more pros and maybe a little more cons that I'm not just thinking about atm, but I listed the first things that came to my head.

+.5 for this.

SX1 and metr0n0me like this.
  18. Landonator419

Landonator419 Celebrity Meeper

That reason will help meep... When people aren't talking seeing the bans will make people talk, which will make meep look more like a fun community.

19. Muunkee

Muunkee Legendary art supply hoarder

Is there a sort of compromise?

Could we do something like "staff member has banned a player for reason for length"
    Xchaoszerox has banned a player for advertising for Perm.

This way - if people see the advertiser, they know by using common sense that advertiser is gone and banned. If a staff bans a player for theft, no one knows who, can't really argue it can they?

20. Dart_Knight

Dart_Knight Popular Meeper

Gossip does not retain socializing. Pretty much everyone who is playing currently knows the rules and doesn't want to get ban. It's mainly the new players and a few bigger players that get ban. Gossip doesn't even last long anyway. What makes people socialize more is actual conversations about specific topics. Plus it's not a fun community if we just talk about bans...

Unfortunately our chat now has to appeal 8 year olds. Whenever a topic comes up that I'd like to talk about usually gets shot down and staff tries to derail. Any talk that are for teens is discouraged. Our target audience is like 8 year olds, but the gameplay itself requires maturity and thinking skills an eight year old most likely won't have. So we have people around their teens and older playing, but chat rules are catered to a lot younger audience..

metr0n0me likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.