1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Killing dogs and animal ethics

Discussion in 'Debates' started by MeepLord27, May 17, 2018.

?

Killing dogs?

1. Yea

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Nae

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. MeepLord27

MeepLord27 Popular Meeper

This thread is a continuation of a discussion in global. My position is that if you are ok with factory farming of animals (killing animals for personal pleasure) you logically must be ok with killing a wealth of other animals including dogs, cats, bunnies. Additionally you must be fine with any amount of cruelty towards these animals as cruelty free-farming is a myth.

@riri30

LargeUnit likes this.
  2. FamousZAmos

FamousZAmos Popular Meeper

They're animals. If I want to remain consistent with my beliefs, they're here solely as a resource for our consumption (as food/free labor)

Lovexender likes this.
  3. iiwars

iiwars Celebrity Meeper

To anyone who came to read a logical argument, just turn around. This is the place where opinions are greater than facts. No matter how hard you try with this guy.

I've worked at a slaughter house for 2 years before. Saying the person who puts the bolt into the cows head is doing it for pleasure is very misleading. You cannot stay in the position for long because it generally leads to psychological issues. It pays well, and isn't for everyone. Also there would be factories for dogs, cats, bunnies, horses, ect. If there was a demand for it. We play on an economy server, you should understand supply and demand. There is also no cruelty(The kind you're thinking of) done in most of these places, these places are filled with government employee's. They tend to do the grading of the meat, check if its up to quality that they are advertising.

So in conclusion, these factories are there for supply and demand, well paying jobs, and the demand is larger than they can supply with just land.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  4. MeepLord27

None of this is relevant. Supply and demand has nothing to do with morality.

5. iiwars

iiwars Celebrity Meeper

It doesn't? Also morality is always very opinionated. There is no one set of morals in this universe. My cat goes out to eat mice, moles, birds, and squirrels. Is my cat lacking morals? Or is she just trying to live?

6. MeepLord27

I didn't make a moral truth statement so the possible subjectivity of morals is irrelevant. If you are ok with animals being killed for pleasure in one case you logically must be ok with it in all similar cases.

7. twomoo1119

twomoo1119 Celebrity Meeper

Neither killing dogs, cats nor bunnies gives me any pleasure or pleasurable products tho?

SuperDyl likes this.
  8. iiwars

iiwars Celebrity Meeper

As I said before, people do not do it for pleasure. You're not even reading anything. These people do it because there is a demand. Do you know people like to make a living?

Klitch and SuperDyl like this.
  9. MeepLord27

I'm saying you logically can't forbid someone else from doing it. The pleasure here is the sadistic joy you might find in killing any animal
    --- Double Post Merged, May 17, 2018, Original Post Date: May 17, 2018 ---
    Working and making money is something that brings you pleasure in some regard. If not directly you not starving die to having a stable job likely brings you pleasure. Additionally you haven't given any argument as to what distinction exists between traditionally farmed animals and the animals society decided it is bad to eat when it comes to murdering them.

10. iiwars

iiwars Celebrity Meeper

Have you read any testimonies of people who have worked at a slaughter house? Hear about how they felt on their first day? They knew what they were going into, but the smell, the environment is not very refreshing. It's hot and smells like iron on the killing floor. Then over in fabrication where they process the meat is cold and wet. The difference between tradition animals and these animals you talk about is fat. Bunnies can be fat, but dogs and cats tend to be skinny. We have genetically made them how we want them as a household animal. I'm not so sure on their taste, but people do eat rabbits. I'm sure they would taste very game-y, which is definitely not for everyone. And I'm going to bring up supply and demand, how often do you see people going to the story talking about "Damn it, wish they sold dog, gotta go to the humane society again."? Because there absolutely no demand for it.

11. MeepLord27

I'm ignoring this part because it has nothing to do with morality.
    Wheather or not something tastes good is subjective. Fat levels are not a meaningful distinction in the moral status of dogs and pigs (for example).
    THIS IS IRRELEVANT. Killing dogs is not more ok or less ok based on how many people demand it.

12. iiwars

iiwars Celebrity Meeper

How is it irrelevant? Why would someone try to invest into a failing business before it even started. You haven't even posted one fact, this is 100% opinions from you. You're basically a SJW(Social Justice Warrior, but a MJW(Moral Justice Warrior).

Muunkee likes this.
  13. FamousZAmos

FamousZAmos Popular Meeper

he made a thread about the morality of killing animals, why shouldn't he argue about that?

edit: if I know meeplord even a little he's not fighting for animal rights

SuperDyl and Lovexender like this.
  14. iiwars

iiwars Celebrity Meeper

Does that stop him from supplying facts? Did you know there are many facts why we do things? I've even posted many within this thread already.

15. Lovexender

Lovexender Meeper

Ok i was in global when this happened so mine as well pitch in.
    If you are in the woods with no animals exept for a wild dog, with no food, and nothing else exept for a knife. That would be ok. You are doing it for survival! They are giving a life to save one. Because like if you were just hunting with a buddy (for deer, as an example), and you spot a wild dog. You have perfect amount of food and drink. You wouldn't shoot it. You would help it find its owners, and if it was wild it would run away.
    Then there is self defense. If a wild pet like a dog, cat etc was attacking you, you would only think to punch it or push it away. Right?
    Basicially, its only ok to kill a dog or any pet if it is for self defense to the most severe level, and for survivalism. Thats my opninion, and i would like to see what other people have to say out theyres! :)
    I agree. People in a slaughterhouse know what they are getting into. They still had the chance to turn back though. If they continue to do it, despite theyre guilt, they kept killing animals for no reason. This is not okay and im sure everyone agrees. At least most.

16. MeepLord27

You are clearly ignorant on even the basics of argument. Don't comment on a thread with "ethics" in the title if your gonna whine about how people want to talk about ethics.
    Why is it only ok to kill a dog or cat in these circumstances but right to kill a pig or cow in any circumstance?
    --- Double Post Merged, May 17, 2018 ---
    I haven't made a claim that needs to be supported with "facts" yet.

17. riri30

riri30 Retired veteran

I’m not against killing animals, but I think there’s a big difference killing animals in vain, just for the sake of it, and because you need it.

I don’t allow myself to become a vegetarian because I believe meat is not something that can be boycotted, and if an animal is dead, might as well use its death to get out the maximum of ressources, not to mention that meat is tasty. I also am totally against mass production farms, like production of foie gras, where geese are stuffed day in a day out to fatten their liver. I believe any animal deserves dignity and respect.

Cruelty-free farming is not a myth, Swiss farmers do a great job at it, so do Kobe beef farmers! I am totally opposed to animal cruelty, as for dog killing, so be it if you need to eat one, but I don’t condone unecessary killing. As @iiwars has previously mentioned, I don’t believe anyone kills animals just for the sake or pleasure of doing so.

SuperDyl likes this.
  18. Lovexender

Lovexender Meeper

Why is it only ok to kill a dog or cat in these circumstances but right to kill a pig or cow in any circumstance?

I haven't made a claim that needs to be supported with "facts" yet.[/QUOTE]
    I accidentally forgot to mention that. Most people hunting are doing it for the food for them or they're family. I stand by my statement and put any animal next to the cat or dog. Except for human because you know reasons. But my dad loves to fish and hunt and when he does fish for fun, he puts them back in water. He kills deers and pigs etc for the food. It is fun to do sometimes, but they are being used to supply and demand (i think that is the correct term.) +Also i beileve that the forums are something for everyone to give theyre own expressions and thoughts about a subject on the thread. It is ok to disagree with people, but fighting back proving them wrong is not ok. Ive seen that a little in the thread and thought it would be good to mention. Please don't say thigns like "Oh really?" or anything like that or of the sort.
    I totally agree with you riri. Eating one for survival is ok! But if you like eat it beause it tastes good for fun is not good. Thats what animals like deer and pigs are for.

19. iiwars

iiwars Celebrity Meeper

I'm not whining about the topic, I'm complaining that you lack the concept of an argument. An argument will always need facts, then your opinion so you're not just plagiarizing someone else.

20. Muunkee

Muunkee Legendary art supply hoarder

Killing animals for the hell of it is not ok
    killing animals to use as a resource is ok, provided the animal is not endangered or anything
    people generally don't kill dogs or cats for meat just because they dont really have a lot of meat and are much more useful alive, but if thats your thing, as long as its humane as possible I guess