1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Gay Rights

Discussion in 'Debates' started by scoowby, May 7, 2014.

1. 1Achmed1

1Achmed1 Popular Meeper

I support their right to do it, because the government shouldn't control what people do with their own lives. I two dudes or girls want to get married, then so be it. America was created on the basis that if people want to see change in their government, they need to take matters into their own hands and fight to create that change, and right now the change on the table is Gay Rights.

I know several people who tend to have homophobic feelings, and it angers me on the inside, however I myself, if just a little bit, am slightly homophobic and I dislike myself for it.

It's hard to put yourself in someone else's shoes if you've never been in them.

metr0n0me likes this.
  2. chaos546

chaos546 Canadian Forums Stalker

You are still ignoring the actual debate.

Are you seriously saying that giving someone the right to marry who they love is just as ludicrous as cows voting?

metr0n0me, Klitch and 1Achmed1 like this.
  3. K9_Caper

K9_Caper Celebrity Meeper

Bro, sometimes you need to sit back take a joke. I didn't mean to compare it to the issue. Seriously, chill.

4. chaos546

Hah, I'm sorry I don't take lightly to people joking about a serious issue, especially when said person could easily be serious about what they are saying in the context + it's impossible to convey a joking tone over text. So yeah, I guess I'll 'chill' next time. But, yannow, it is the Debates section. If you are just going to joke, you don't need to reply at all :)

TimtheFireLord, Klitch and Erebus45 like this.
  5. K9_Caper

wut

6. Klitch

Klitch

Jokes in a serious thread come off as ignorant.

1Achmed1 and chaos546 like this.
  7. Skaros123

Skaros123 Otaku Wooden Hoe

Welp, Ireland has officially become the first country in the world to legalize same-sex marriage through a referendum. In every other country where same-sex marriage was legalized, it was always through parliament or court systems. (A few states in the US did vote in favor of it through referendum, but I'm referring to a national referendum only). The people of Ireland have voted to add the following clause to their constitution: "marriage may be contracted in accordance with law by two persons without distinction as to their sex". The referendum passed with 62.07% of the vote being "Yes".

Ireland is a Catholic country, and for the people to vote in favor of same-sex marriage shows a growing shift in attitudes towards the issue. This may have a major impact on other countries, especially Eastern Europe.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/05/23/ireland-gay-marriage-referendum/27833821/

8. chaos546

You are on the 'against same-sex marriage' side of this argument, so it's not like it's all that far-fetched to think you really would compare it to cows voting.

That is really cool and awesome :) Go Ireland!

Erebus45, Skaros123 and Klitch like this.
  9. K9_Caper

Oh please xD You think I'm against same sex marriage? Read through my posts again. I just think it's morally wrong, not that it should be illegal or defying normal rights. I just think it shouldn't be allowed because of our role as humans god put us in (moral right or wrong), not the fact that they shouldn't get rights or that it should be illegal. Everyone should have equal rights regardless of whatever (unless they are not human)

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    metr0n0me likes this.
  10. Klitch

Klitch

So you're against it.

chaos546 likes this.
  11. chaos546

Martinq pretty much nailed it on the head there. Everything you said seemed to contradict itself. You think they should have equal rights, but you don't think it should be allowed. You think it's just morally wrong (your 'god put us in this role' argument is pretty silly too, as people have mentioned several times that same-sex relationships are common in animal communities as well ), but you think they should be able to marry?

Klitch likes this.
  12. TimtheFireLord

TimtheFireLord Celebrity Meeper

Are you comparing Gay Rights to cows voting
    --- Double Post Merged, May 26, 2015, Original Post Date: May 26, 2015 ---
    nevermind, this issue has already been discussed by cha
    --- Double Post Merged, May 26, 2015 ---
    Its still a major issue which is still relevant. But yeah, Its been here forever.
    Thats Bravest Warriors, yo
    :c fang you were cool
    I wish qaw was still here so badly

13. WorkingClassHero

WorkingClassHero Popular Meeper

I agree with gay rights.

Know imma get a lot of hate, but being gay is wrong.
    Yes, you can't argue with that, it goes against one of the signs of life:
    Reproduction.

All this religious side of it.. Pffft.

The only reason for religion is power and money, I laugh when I see religious leaders, think back to the people previously in their position all they could think there was money and power. Catholic Church for example, the Papal State leaders used their influence to gain more and power and wealth.

14. 3pointone45

3pointone45 Popular Meeper

No, religion was made to put morals into humans back in the first set of days. In today's world, it is being abused heavily. There are no parts to the bible having hate on gays. It is just people abusing the name "religion" to try to make it morally correct. I am also Atheist...if you were wondering.

15. Wubb8t

Wubb8t Celebrity Meeper

You are correct in saying the Bible does not say, "Hate gays," because of you were to read the Bible it says, "Love one another more then yourself," and "do to others what you would have them do onto you."
    But that doesn't necessarily mean that the Bible supports homosexuality or sides with it.

Just wanted to throw in my two cents :]

metr0n0me and chaos546 like this.
  16. _Gimble_1.

_Gimble_1. Popular Meeper

My family is a hardline Roman Catholic Family. I am into accepting homosexual people in society and giving them equal rights as other human beings. But here is the thing I find disturbing,a little gross, and immoral. I consider it immoral to and gross to engage in a sexual relationship due to us Christians believing in that the gift of sexuality is for procreation and not recreation.

metr0n0me likes this.
  17. 3pointone45

Yes you are right. But back in those days the bible was made without the real knowledge that homosexuallity exists. It wasn't until the late 1900s when you really did see people admitting that they were gay. The Bible was made way longer then that

18. TimtheFireLord

TimtheFireLord Celebrity Meeper

There have been gay/bi/ace/pan/trans/poly/ etc people throughout history tho

19. 3pointone45

Yes but it wasn't well known. I don't believe there would be a trans would be in history really...unless I don't know what a trans is.

20. Skaros123

Skaros123 Otaku Wooden Hoe

You seem to be focusing too much on areas with a Christian predominance. There have been LGBT people, even trans, throughout (arguably) all of recorded history.

Though I could give you more examples of societies accepting same-sex relations than societies accepting trans people, I do know that trans people have existed in various Native American/Canadian tribes long before Christianity came to North America (Not all tribes, but definitely many tribes). The general belief in these tribes was that the man and woman could exist in everyone. A trans person is really someone who identifies with the gender opposite of what they were born with. (they don't have to change their sex physically to be considered transgendered).