1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Gay Rights

Discussion in 'Debates' started by scoowby, May 7, 2014.

1. abbythrowsstuff

abbythrowsstuff Celebrity Meeper

Ah, another thread where I can preach on my metaphorical soap box.

Probably, as many of you older forum users know, I'm a strong believer in gay rights and still firmly am. Alongside this fact I believe in the Bible. in an attempt to not offend other users, I'll keep this brief and try to keep out of most of the "praise God" aspects of the Bible and rather focus on teachings that most of society agrees with. In the New Testament, Jesus teaches that the most important commandment is "Love thy neighbor as thyself". To truly love your neighbor is to not see them as what they are but see them as yourself. In the parable of the Good Samaritan, a Samaritan man comes across a Jewish man lying on the ground, dying. Although Samaritans and Jews at the time did not care for each other, this Samaritan treats the Jewish man with care and love. The parable is an explained story of "Treat others as you would want to be treated."

So how can you treat others like you would yourself? Well, if you would like to get married, let others get married. If you would like to eat, let others eat. If you would like to do X activity, let someone else do X activity and don't hinder them from doing this activity. To follow the Bible is to follow the principle of "love thy neighbor as thyself". Every commandment in the Bible can be related back to that. Your neighbor is everyone in the universe, and if you are to truly love them, you do not hinder them.

Politicians put their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution, they did not put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible.

This topic hits home for me and I'm very passionate about it. Also, in an effort to not offend, this will be my only post and I hope it opens up some minds to the topic of Gay Rights.

Cherrykit, scoowby, Erebus45 and 6 others like this.
  2. Lady_Hestia

Lady_Hestia Retro, Dance, Freak

The bible never directly stated gay marriage is a sin. It's two men in one bed is a sin I believe. So as long as you do not lie down in the same bed you are sin free :D.
    I love you

Empoleon_master likes this.
  3. Fangdragon1998

Fangdragon1998 Queen of the Nubs, La Elite Dragoness, Kæri On!

^^ This.
    Another great quote is, "Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye," meaning that you need to deal with your own, huge problems of yourself rather than picking at other peoples'. Let them be; it is not for us to judge but God - that's a personal thing that doesn't involve us. Telling homosexuals that they are going to hell, what good does that do? Absolutely none. (and if you're gonna think that way, might as well make they're time on earth better by treating them all the more kindly...). Treat your neighbor with love, respect, and kindness, no matter what they do.

Empoleon_master likes this.
  4. TrisDa

TrisDa Popular Meeper

We are all sinners and in the eyes of God treated the same. So why is it we treat Gay marriage something not even one one of the big Sins so much worse? What about wrath, avarice "greed" , sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony?
    We as a people are failing so bad at this 7 sins its not even funny but instead of working and focusing on the affect this sins cause the world we would rather hate "wrath" on people who love other of the same sex.

5. nhjed

nhjed Celebrity Meeper

No, it's marriage should only be between a woman and a man or you're considered an "abomination" ,not two men in one bed 0.0.

So if I slept in the same bed as my brother because a guest is using my bed it would be a sin?

Cherrykit, rAwsondayc, TrisDa and 3 others like this.
  6. Empoleon_master

Empoleon_master Celebrity Meeper

BURN!!!

7. gooboyshitstevie

gooboyshitstevie Well-Known Meeper

wait wtf?

Empoleon_master, IHAS and Skaros123 like this.
  8. Fangdragon1998

Fangdragon1998 Queen of the Nubs, La Elite Dragoness, Kæri On!

I think you know what they mean by saying "sleeping in the same bed"....

9. nhjed

nhjed Celebrity Meeper

Obviously....

What Hestia said was "two men in one bed" that doesn't mean they were having intercourse, that means they were in the same bed, what I said was "sleeping in the same bed with my brother" that doesn't mean that either.

Hestia needs to be more careful with her wording

Edit: This is making me uncomfortable ;-;

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  10. IHAS

IHAS Popular Meeper

That is literally what the bible says. Leviticus 18:22

Lady_Hestia likes this.
  11. Skaros123

Skaros123 Otaku Wooden Hoe

I don't see why people follow the Old Testament. Last I heard, Christians don't need to follow the Old Testament.

Empoleon_master and IHAS like this.
  12. Bill Gates

Bill Gates Meeper

13. Mjr_Minor

Mjr_Minor Celebrity Meeper

They don't, otherwise Christians everywhere would be stoned for wearing polymer-blended clothing and eating shellfish. It just happens to be one tenant that gets cherry picked out incredibly frequently.

14. Bill Gates

Bill Gates Meeper

Where you guys born from the bible?!? Hell nah, Stop taking answers from a book and listen to the answers within yourself.
    There is no real answer to an opinion -Bill Gates
    I don't like Bill Gates -My brother

15. gooboyshitstevie

gooboyshitstevie Well-Known Meeper

--- Double Post Merged, May 31, 2014, Original Post Date: May 31, 2014 ---
    go away bill gates. we already have one of your kind- Hornemans

16. Empoleon_master

Empoleon_master Celebrity Meeper

It's almost like you typed words correctly then posted that, what a troll.
    No, Bill Gates is different, he donates to real charities, the only charity Hornemans donates to is his other wallet labeled "charity".

Last edited: May 31, 2014
    gooboyshitstevie likes this.
  17. Lady_Hestia

Lady_Hestia Retro, Dance, Freak

This is what I was speaking of.

IHAS and TimtheFireLord like this.
  18. smeef

smeef Popular Meeper

You can't quote the bible (or anything like a religious text) when you try to justify your causes against gay rights. Only if the country has an official religion, could it be possible. However, in the United States, there is this thing you guys know of called the separation of Church and State. The United States was not founded with the cause of keeping Christian values alive, so any bible quotes or references are null.

(Just some info for Christian Catholics here) I go to a Catholic school, and the Church teaches that being gay is not a choice, unlike what some people might think. The Church teaches that is not immoral to love men. The only point that they declare something sinful is when two men enter a sexual relationship (fornication), because Catholics believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and you can only have sex in marriage.

If you want to keep "equality for all" a true statement, you have to have gay rights. (Gay marriage, however, depends on if it is religious or civil. Civil = yes, Religious = varies)
    Ok, I see your point about this. But, what about a similar situation? (hypothetical)

An "African-American" baker owns a bakery. KKK members come in, and ask for a cake depicting a lynching. The baker obviously says, "No, this is against what I believe. I refuse to give you any of my services."

A Catholic baker owns a bakery. Two gay men/women come in, asking for a cake for their marriage. The baker obviously says, "No, this against what I believe. I refuse to give you any of my services."

Both of the bakers have the right to refuse service to both parties. The bakers' have their beliefs, so they can refuse service to all, not just gay people.

Equal rights need to work both ways.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    TrisDa, Mjr_Minor, BlackJack and 4 others like this.
  19. Skaros123

Skaros123 Otaku Wooden Hoe

The owners don't have to do something they wouldn't do for other people. If a restaurant doesn't have beef, then the owners don't have to go out and get beef to cater a customer. HOWEVER, if the store owner wants to kick out a customer just because of their personal background, then that's messed up.

TrisDa and Empoleon_master like this.
  20. smeef

smeef Popular Meeper

Personally, if the store owner kicks you out, their is most likely another one that will serve you, cuz dey wnt ur mny$$$ m8.
    If the African American baker wants to refuse service to the KKK because of their personal background, then that's also messed up. (sarcasm, it isn't messed up)
    Bakers sell cakes, they are providing the same service.