1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Cyber Bullying Isn't Real.

Discussion in 'Debates' started by WeAreNumberUno, Mar 14, 2017.

?

Cyber Bullying isn't real

1. :)

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. :(

18 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. WeAreNumberUno

WeAreNumberUno Celebrity Meeper

:)

Basically, if you let cyber bullying affect you in a similar way to real bullying, its you self-victimizing. You always have a choice to interact with a platform online. If you feel bullied and harassed on any particular platform, you have the choice to leave. Now, I'm obviously not talking about blackmail p0rn, doxing, swatting, etc. I'm talking about random people who don't interact with you IRL "bullying" you online.

Marshy_88 and Erebus45 like this.
  2. Muunkee

Muunkee Legendary art supply hoarder

Ur ugly!!!!!

Yeah if you think cyber bullying is offensive, the internet is not right for you
    People needa chill.

jadenPete and Ranger0203 like this.
  3. Erebus45

Erebus45 Celebrity Meeper

I agree with your comment to an extent. For example, If one or two people comment on your picture saying you look ugly or fat then just block them and get over it. But if it is a group of people truly harassing a person, then yes it is a problem. Someone shouldn't be forced to disconnect from online platforms because a group of people think they can say or do anything because they are behind a keyboard and monitor.

GroovyGrevous likes this.
  4. Courtneyyy

Courtneyyy Admin Princess Staff Member Helper Media Elder

Yes, you shouldn't take everything said on the internet to heart but goddamn if you're a rude ass to someone constantly then you are a bully regardless if said on the internet or not. We're all human behind a computer screen we have feelings if you want to act all hard and mighty behind one then go for it but don't say everybody should just hit delete or block. Blaming someone for "Self-Victimizing" is ridiculously stupid you shouldn't be a jerk face to someone you've never met. Not sure if this is your way of interpreting your actions said here on these said forums but that's what it sounds like to me.

5. WeAreNumberUno

I'm not defending people who go out and are rude on the internet. I just think its ridiculous to let it have the affects bullying has on you. Bullying implies that its repeated, and YOU have control over wether or not it becomes repeated, as on pretty much every major social networking/communication app there is a block feature, and if its really that big of a problem and you can't block em, just delete the app. I think losing access to a/all social media is a small price to pay for mental stability. I'm also not entirely sure what you mean when you say "Not sure if this is your way of interpreting your actions said here etc etc etc", have you noticed me being a cyber bully? I know i'm not necessarily polite but I don't think i've ever really gone off and harassed someone.

Ranger0203 likes this.
  6. Natsu

Natsu Celebrity Meeper

In some cases, you cannot leave.

For example, there are many cases where the person gets cyber bullied by people they know in real life, through texting/social media etc. They will do anything to harass you, even when you change accounts/block/report them. Cyber bullying is real, but it's just that in most cases, it's not really a cyber bullying situation.

7. WeAreNumberUno

8. SuperDyl

SuperDyl Popular Meeper

I think it still makes people bullies to post rude things on the internet, as enough people creating this toxic environment collectively turn themselves into one large bully. People should still try to find solutions around bullying, especially since most people aren't meaning to directly always hurt one individual, but real bullying is often very similar. Saying rude things to someone is still bullying them, and people need to find solutions around the bullying because it happens. Bullying in real life isn't always meant to be targeted at an individual, but a large group of comments from many individuals can really have detrimental effects.

In the end, cyber bullying exists because it is practically the exact same as bullying, no matter how many excuses people have, both hurt people in the same way and both are treated the same (ignoring).

EllieEllie likes this.
  9. WeAreNumberUno

Thats not true at all. If someone is bullying you IRL, they can be physically attacking you, you also don't have the option to mute people IRL.

Bullying isn't being rude or "toxic" bullying is repeated targeted harassment of an individual. (Pulled of my phone dictionary)

Ranger0203 likes this.
  10. SuperDyl

SuperDyl Popular Meeper

Cyber bullying is "the use of electronic communication to bully a person, typically by sending messages of an intimidating or threatening nature"

A Bully is "one who is habitually cruel, insulting, or threatening to others who are weaker, smaller, or in some way vulnerable"

Cyber bullying depends on your definition of bully: is a bully someone who is "habitually cruel" or someone who harasses someone? I say cyber bullying exists because people can be habitually cruel or harass others on the internet, people just need to judge for themselves who is a bully and find ways to deal with what they don't like, on the internet or in real life.

EllieEllie and Erebus45 like this.
  11. WeAreNumberUno

Your definition contradicts what you said. Do you know what habitually cruel means? It means the person makes a habit out of it. I.E. Its repeated.

12. SuperDyl

SuperDyl Popular Meeper

Yes, habitually cruel.

Example: I go on this forum and call people dumb/stupid on five different occasions. I am then acting habitually cruel.

I am not acting habitually cruel if I called one person dumb.

The difference between a bully and someone who isn't is if their cruel acts are done habitually or more than once. Trolls are a prime example of a cyber bully as they tend to make it a habit to be cruel, even if others may not find it funny.

13. junelawnchaired

junelawnchaired neat-o!

i can't believe we still have to have debates about whether it's ok to be jerks to each other or not.

14. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

Alright folks, I have a real tale of cyber bullying.

During the prehistoric times of no World Wide Web you connected "online" by dialing into a local server via telephone / modem. These platforms were called BBSes, and they hosted a chat program and variety of text based games.

This one game we were all addicted too, me, my dad and most people on this particular BBS, Tele-Arena. This was the first game I had ever played in my life and it became a big part of my youth. But the thing about this Tele-Arena was it had a player called Slayer, a master-certified chess player and most evil / polite troll there was. He would rob you in this game, kill you, and generally make the game unplayable during certain times.

However, things came to a head and the players because to push back, except outside the game. They would call his phone all day everyday, stalk him in real life and try to ruin relationships he had. It had gotten so bad that he had a nervous breakdown and essentially disappeared.

Today - You simply have the option to chalk it up to an idiot, and ignore what is being said. :)

15. Toostenheimer

Toostenheimer Legendary Meeper

There are times where we can't leave, no matter how hard you try. It's not that simple to just "leave" a computer screen and think that's the easiest way to avoid cyber-bullying.

There will be people in the world who will go far and wide to make you feel like absolute garbage. There's no chance in avoiding it. I've come across people who will purposely target you or another person and make them feel horrible and keep it that way.

I don't see how you think cyber-bullying is all that bad. The effects it can have on someone can be pretty severe. It can go from someone just keeping to themselves to where people kill themselves over the harassment and bullying. I had a few personal friends of mine who were considering suicide from their other friends cyber-bullying them via text or through social media.

It's not as easy to avoid as you think. My best guess is because you've never experienced the effects of cyber-bullying or have never seen someone being cyber-bullied.

I think you're talking about trolls. Trolls are people who just want to pull a good joke or want to be a general nuisance on the internet. Cyber-bullies are people who have intentions of making you feel like garbage over something they desire. One simple example is Markiplier's girlfriend, Amy. When she revealed on Twitter that she did have a relationship with him, there were people who were absolutely jealous of her and wanted her to kill herself. She ignored it because she knew they couldn't do anything to her, but there was one user in particular that wanted to stalk Amy. But that's another story.

Anyways, that's just a basic summary in my own words of what cyber-bullying is.

Pmx728 and Erebus45 like this.
  16. WeAreNumberUno

Thats not what I'm trying to say...
    Nope :), I'm talking about the second example.

Thats a public figure, its different.

17. qazini

qazini Neighborhood Panini

Why is being a public figure different? Do they have different emotions than the rest of us? If you are a public figure, yes you do have to deal with hate, its part of the job, but you shouldn't be stalked and threatened (however unrealistically).

18. Toostenheimer

Toostenheimer Legendary Meeper

Public figure or not, the harassment will stay the same.

19. TheTastyNacho

TheTastyNacho Celebrity Meeper

Cyber bullying is definitely real. Yes if you continue to interact with someone who is harassing you, it is self-victimizing, but someone shouldn't have to completely leave a social platform because of a bully. It doesn't matter how you bully someone, whether it's irl or behind a screen. If it hurts someone, its bullying.

20. SuperDyl

SuperDyl Popular Meeper

I second.

Erebus45 likes this.