1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Comments on Profile Post by TheDebatheist

1. Mjr_Minor
    Mjr_Minor
    Care to elaborate your stance on those things specifically? Then I may be more able to give my retort/support
    Dec 2, 2015
  2. TheDebatheist
    TheDebatheist
    I believe in racial and religious profiling, based on the opportunity cost of profiling unlikely terrorists. Finite resources + clear demographics of terrorists = opportunity cost when we profile... a white 80yo Western woman called Betty. People like her should be profiled way less than... a brown 25yo Arab man called Ahmed.
    Dec 2, 2015
  3. Mjr_Minor
    Mjr_Minor
    In this example you're not exactly comparing particularly like peoples. I'd say if you're going to go on about racial profiling in this way, you should compare a brown 25yo Arab man called Ahmed vs a white 25yo man called David.

Now that the parameters are set; who's more likely to commit a mass shooting in the USA?
    Dec 3, 2015
  4. Mjr_Minor
    Mjr_Minor
    *continued*

While that question is specifically worded, perhaps you can see my intentions for phrasing it so. I concede your point about the 80yo woman - I think 80yo's full stop could arguable fall outside the scope of profiling - but why should a 25yo white male be profiled any less than a 25yo brown male?
    Dec 3, 2015
  5. TheDebatheist
    TheDebatheist
    Because we have statistics that show that brown males cause more terror attacks than white males.

Each time you fit into a particular demographic (one that commits more crime that their counterparts), it should shift you along the continuum of 'profiling priority'.
    Dec 3, 2015
  6. TheDebatheist
    TheDebatheist
    I'm not saying that all black people should be profiled. Just as I wouldn't make the claim for all men. It's a similar point. Men pose a much higher threat of being terrorists than women, and we should tailor our resources our profiling efforts to reflect this.
    Dec 3, 2015
  7. TheDebatheist
    TheDebatheist
    I provided statistics in the thread I referred to in the first comment of this chain. Page 4, post 7, in the 'isidewith...' thread. Feel free to have a look. I don't want to make it seem like this is pure unsupported conjecture.
    Dec 3, 2015
  8. Mjr_Minor
    Mjr_Minor
    Are you sure about that statistic? What are you classifying as a terror attack? Because of the 350+ mass shootings that have happened in the USA this year alone, I'd hazard a guess the majority of them were committed by white males.

I don't know about you, but I certainly view this as a terror attack.
    Dec 3, 2015
  9. TheDebatheist
    TheDebatheist
    I've already addressed that point in post #87. Please give it a look, then get back to me.
    Dec 3, 2015
  10. Mjr_Minor
    Mjr_Minor
    You actually didn't, you touched on violent crimes in black communities and not mass shootings specifically.
    Dec 3, 2015
  11. Mjr_Minor
    Mjr_Minor
    In 2014 64% of all mass shootings were committed by young white males. That's an extraordinarily high amount, with black shooters coming in at 16%. In absolute terms white people commit more mass shootings than all other races combined.
    Dec 3, 2015
  12. Mjr_Minor
    Mjr_Minor
    Proportionally, the only race that lies out of proportion of their population representation are Asians - by your logic you should be 2.5 times more worried about an Asian male than any other race for committing a mass shooting.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/27/us/mass-shootings/
    Dec 3, 2015
  13. Mjr_Minor
    Mjr_Minor
    You also didn't define what constitutes a terror attack in your post, you just stated that the majority of religious terror attacks are committed by Muslims. I'd say shooting up a Planned Parenthood because it doesn't conform to your religious beliefs is a terror attack. You didn't state how the game is being scored.
    Dec 3, 2015
  14. TheDebatheist
    TheDebatheist
    They were the homicide statistics for 2013. Let's back up a second here.

You're straw-manning the issue here. I want to concentrate on homicide, violent attacks, terror attacks, the WHOLE shabbang. Not just 'mass shootings'.

Second, the link is poor. Methodology101, always check the sample size. Citing a mere 72 mass shootings is not substantial, at all.
    Dec 3, 2015
  15. TheDebatheist
    TheDebatheist
    Even IF it was, then sure. I'm willing to go with whatever conclusion that the data bears out. But with good data. Not with the stuff that you're currently citing. If it turns out that 90% of males commit violent crimes, and 90% of the time they're white too? Sure. Let's profile white males more often than other demographics! The underlying question, is... Would that racist and sexist?
    Dec 3, 2015
  16. TimtheFireLord
    TimtheFireLord
    It has been proven on countless occasions that white Christian males are more likely to be terrorists than Muslims
    Dec 3, 2015
  17. TheDebatheist
    TheDebatheist
    Tim. Just... don't, pretty please? You're missing the overarching point of this discussion. Unless you have data to back that up, pleeeeeease don't?
    Dec 3, 2015
  18. TimtheFireLord
  19. TimtheFireLord
    TimtheFireLord
    I'll leave after this this though I just wanted to drop that in here
    Dec 3, 2015
  20. Mjr_Minor
    Mjr_Minor
    I meant to type 2013, then realised I couldn't edit my post without deleting the entire thing - my bad.
    Dec 3, 2015
  21. Mjr_Minor
    Mjr_Minor
    I'm not straw-manning the issue here. You cited violent crimes briefly, then transitioned to discussing Muslim terrorists. I wanted to ask how you're defining what an act of terrorism is - which you still haven't done - and gave a counterpoint about mass shootings, which I'm assuming wasn't included in your initial example of religious terrorist attacks.
    Dec 3, 2015
  22. Mjr_Minor
    Mjr_Minor
    Also 72 data points isn't unsubstantial at all, especially when their definition of "mass shooting" may fall outside of the one I used earlier. And sure, a nice round 100 would be good from a statistical perspective but anything above 50 can be used to draw meaningful conclusions. That's co: my economics statistical analysis course.
    Dec 3, 2015
  23. TheDebatheist
    TheDebatheist
    Tim, let's just take these articles at face value for a sec. Let's assume that the headlines arn't clickbait hyperbole, and that they're an accurate representation of the facts and figures.

It's comparing apples to oranges. Political motivations, with religious ones. Out of religious terror attacks, or fatalities in religious terror attacks, how many are Muslims responsible for?
    Dec 3, 2015
  24. TheDebatheist
    TheDebatheist
    Out of political terror attacks, how many are white males or republicans responsible for?

Those are better questions. But to conflate religious motivations with political, is a grave error. If 5% of terror attacks are religiously motivated, and 2.5% of all terror attacks are committed by Muslims in the name of Islam, there's a HUGE problem with Islam here.
    Dec 3, 2015
  25. TheDebatheist
    TheDebatheist
    Dude, 72 attacks over 30+ years is absolute garbage.
    Dec 3, 2015
  26. Mjr_Minor
    Mjr_Minor
    But these political terror attacks have very close, arguably intrinsic links to religion. Defining them as one and not the other isn't an accurate affair.
    Dec 3, 2015
  27. TheDebatheist
    TheDebatheist
    Can we bring this back on point? I said that even IF the data bore out your conclusions, then I would be willing to stand by them.

If it turns out that 90% of males commit violent crimes, and 90% of the time they're white too? Sure. Let's profile white males more often than other demographics! The underlying question, is... Would that racist and sexist?
    Dec 3, 2015
  28. TheDebatheist
    TheDebatheist
    We really need to do this somewhere else. Which is exactly why I wanted you to chime in, in the thread. So many points are being brought up and we're barely able to talk at one another. Stuff is getting missed, and I'm having to repeat myself now. Can we take this to the thread, or at least address that final point above?
    Dec 3, 2015
  29. Mjr_Minor
    Mjr_Minor
    You've answered my question by asking another question in an attempt to redirect the conversation. I asked about how the definition of terrorist attacks was being classified, and you take a tangential course on whether profiling white males more often is racist and sexist.
    Dec 3, 2015
  30. Mjr_Minor
    Mjr_Minor
    My initial point about mass shootings was made to specifically ask how and why terrorist attacks are being defined, and you still haven't addressed that yet.
    Dec 3, 2015
  31. Mjr_Minor
    Mjr_Minor
    And 72 points over 30 years isn't garbage if the occurrence of what's (in this case, strictly) being defined isn't one every day.
    Dec 3, 2015
  32. TheDebatheist
    TheDebatheist
    Do you know why? Because that was the original talking point in the thread! If I ask a question, and you overlook/ignore it, and than ask me a question... how the actual f*ck do you figure that I'm the one attempting to redirect the conversation? Scroll up, and see where I originally asked you that question.
    Dec 3, 2015
  33. TheDebatheist
    TheDebatheist
    I couldn't give two xxxxx whether that was your original point. I'm asking us to stay on topic. As soon as we tackle one, we can move onto the next, that's absolutely fine. But you cite some of the worst statistics that I've seen, claim that they're actually pretty reliable, and then refuse to acknowledge that profiling based on THOSE statistics would be fair, non-racist or non-sexist?
    Dec 3, 2015
  34. TheDebatheist
    TheDebatheist
    Look at the first post in this thread, because THIS is what we're supposed to be talking about in the first place.

I implore you to take this to a thread and ask all the questions there. Or, Skype is a good alternative. Just some way that can foster a better conversation than this 420-character limit, where we reply past one another and miss/forget/ignore points and questions as we go.
    Dec 3, 2015