1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Comments on Profile Post by The_Squirrelman

1. theEditson
    theEditson
    Hello. Thank you for the respect. I tried my hardest to be a kind and patient person on the server.
    Jul 31, 2013
  2. theEditson
    theEditson
    A. I have been making music since I was 18. I didnt know what I wanted specifically before that, I was clueless. Music became a huge part of my life right at the end of highschool, and I decided I wanted to make my life out of it. It took alot of figuring out and looking around for the best school compared to timing, location and everything
    Jul 31, 2013
  3. theEditson
    theEditson
    ...but thats moreover what I am saying. I started arranging and making my own instrumentals and had a limited view on what 'mixing' actually was. As I was in the process of getting my degree, I picked up my talent and decided to harness my creativity by not being a lame studio tech, but the man making the art.
    Jul 31, 2013
  4. theEditson
    theEditson
    That is when mixing became a huge part of everything. Mixing is extremely complicated, long, and tiresome, but the benefits are amazing. True mixing requires alot of dedication and alone time with just your speakers and daw. Something I am becoming used to now
    Jul 31, 2013
  5. theEditson
    theEditson
    So in terms of your comment on mixing - its quite broad so I will be specific. If your friend is looking to mix, is he looking to MAKE instrumentals/songs, or take loops/stems and mix them down, or remix a song or what?
    Jul 31, 2013
  6. theEditson
    theEditson
    Mix is very broad. Is he looking for a 8+ channel mixing board that works with a daw like logic, or does he just want a music program? DAWs like logic or reason are everything in one - you dont need a physical mixer of any kind to actually mix synths or samples.
    Jul 31, 2013
  7. theEditson
    theEditson
    I myself dont own a mixing board - I own 2 midi controllers, one is a mixer but its not the best for mixing. By that I mean its not a mixer that sends rotor info back to the mixer, so the physical faders on the physical mixing board wont react to the automation or fader changes from the software, only the other way around it works.
    Jul 31, 2013
  8. theEditson
    theEditson
    But there are lots of mixers that are made for live mixing - where the faders and knobs will automatically sync up with your software and visa versa.

Basically, do a shit load of research before making a purchase.
    Jul 31, 2013
  9. theEditson
    theEditson
    But Ive deviated. To start off - under current resources - the best thing is to start using something free like Garageband (if u got it auto with your mac) or another free daw that can mix and has built in vsts (virtual instruments). For real mixing, try Logic and eventually ProTools - I am *Certified in both
    Jul 31, 2013
  10. theEditson
    theEditson
    Sorry that was long. Basically you can do all of your mixing now with digital software. So I recommend Logic to start off with. As for the actual mixing, start reading everything there is to read on music and sound mixing techniques. Its a very large subject and very complicated.
    Jul 31, 2013
  11. theEditson
    theEditson
    If you plan on just doing club or dj mixing , then hardware is what you want - club ready hardware - heavy duty. My APC40 does my dj mixing now - you can google AKAI APC40 - its a midi controller that also has a dj mixer attached. Just an example
    Jul 31, 2013
  12. theEditson
    theEditson
    Also, do not buy anything for music your first time brand new. Buy used. Its going to cause you less heartache with money, and give you more room to learn, then move on. Almost all my stuff is used and extremely researched
    Jul 31, 2013
  13. The_Squirrelman
    The_Squirrelman
    Thank you for the tips! I'm gonna go ahead and check with my friend, do a bit of research, and talk it over with him, then I'll get back to you with the more questions that will definitely follow. Yesterday, I showed him the songs you posted on your intro, and he really liked them, so thanks!
    Aug 1, 2013
  14. theEditson
    theEditson
    Just remember: start simple. my first songs are nothing like they are now. its easier to learn mixing and arrangement in a structured way than in an all over the place way
    Aug 1, 2013
  15. theEditson
    theEditson
    1st tip to start: download software (free or purchase) that allows you to arrange samples and/or allow virtual instruments to be used (most software come with some, if not alooot, they can be downloaded individually online too
    Aug 1, 2013
  16. theEditson
    theEditson
    I mean arrange them on different tracks - giving you your first start at arranging and getting used to how songs are made. 2nd Tip: listen to the genre of song you are making and learn the general layout or arrangement most songs go for. immitate what you love to start. it helps alot
    Aug 1, 2013
  17. theEditson
    theEditson
    3rd tip: after doing lots of songs of arrangement and playing instruments and recording, you can start to learn the basics of frequencies. IMPORTANT IN MIXING: Your monitors aka your speakers. If you have a set of speakers that have bass use them, you should only really use your laptop speakers when comparing your mix to something else
    Aug 1, 2013
  18. theEditson
    theEditson
    Producers spend alot of money on speakers to get the best frequency response. You have to mix as accurate as possible on the best you have, so it translates the best universally. read up on the basics of mixing a generic "kick", and generic "snare" and any other thing you want to make in your song - basically learn where your frequencies should be for certain instruments
    Aug 1, 2013
  19. theEditson
    theEditson
    *Get software (try logic, or anything like it - not different)
    *Play with different arrangements and arrangement techniques that help you show your creativity
    *Mix arrangement so samples and instruments sit pretty in the mix aka no frequencies interfering or phasing
    *Master the program to the max
    *Master getting your mix to sound seamless - the keyword being SEAMLESS
    Aug 1, 2013
  20. theEditson
    theEditson
    I've heard this from alot of important people and teachers in my field for video and audio: The key to a great mix (being audio OR video) is making the user forget he/she is listening to something created, and to make them believe they are in a seamless environment
    Aug 1, 2013
  21. The_Squirrelman
    The_Squirrelman
    Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to continue the research, and copy and paste those tips. Any websites in terms of tutorials and how to's that you recommend?
    Aug 1, 2013
  22. theEditson
    theEditson
    For beginner how-tos, just google keywords like "beginner tips", "tips on making ___(genre)____ songs", and "general mixing tips". just make sure you know what is actually going on in your program before getting into advanced techniques. also, for howtos on specific virtual instruments or plugins, definitely use youtube. YOUTUBE
    Aug 2, 2013
  23. theEditson
    theEditson
    definitely get a grasp for what mono and stereo is, and how important it can be for setting up a decent environment/soundscape. listen to some real ameture songs, then put on a studio mastered song, ignore the volume difference, and listen to the stereo image.
    Aug 2, 2013
  24. theEditson
    theEditson
    Most people start mixing everything in a stereo track, because they dont understand mono vs stereo compared to what they are trying to do. Just be creative.
    Aug 2, 2013
  25. The_Squirrelman
    The_Squirrelman
    Thanks! He took a look at that, and told me he's going to go for a few simple shorts. I'll let you know if he has any more questions!
    Aug 4, 2013