1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Website / In-Game Integration Additions + Improvements

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by LordInateur, Jul 3, 2017.

1. LordInateur

LordInateur Deus Ex Machina Staff Member Administrator

Hi all! I had an idea that I've implemented in the past, and that I thought might be useful to implement here on MeepCraft. Now, as it stands currently the MeepCraft website integrates in part into the game. For instance, the front page notes the number of players online, and (when it's working) the voting system locks into the in-game experience. I've also noticed that there is already a Trello card out there for linking one's forum account to their in-game account. However, I think that we can take this a step further.

I believe that a plugin can be created, a "Meep WebHook" plugin, that can integrate tons of gaming aspects directly into the website. Such a plugin might do the following:
    • Determine exactly who is online and what server they are on
    • On the website, determine the number of staff who are in-game
    • In-game notifications for when watched forum pages are replied to
    • In-game chat (and in-game messaging) accessed through the forums
    • In-game mailbox accessible through the forums
    • In-game accessible through the forums (and easier browsing)
    • Countdowns for in-game events
    • Real-time scoreboards of individuals who have won various minigames or are leading in /jobs stats
    • Website ticker tape notifying users on the forums of various emergency server announcements (such as maintenance or downtime)
    • Possible in-game chat with Discord using the Discord API (don't know to what extent this is possible)
    • Staff could promote/demote through either the forums or in-game
    • Bans/tempbans in-game would automatically notify the user on their forum account
    The list goes on. Developers: such a thing might be accomplished by implementing a RESTful API on a minecraft plugin that simply executed existing commands under the guise of a particular user in-game (or as the console) and that parsed the return messages. Then, you would just use Xenforo (the forums are Xenforo, right?) add-ons to interface with the RESTful API on the Minecraft side (POST request w/ JSON body tends to work best, in my opinion). Now, such a project would not be a small undertaking, but it might be an interesting thing to implement.

This would benefit the Meep Community by encouraging our in-game members to better utilize the website, and possibly entice older Meepers who lurk on the forums (but don't necessarily play anymore) in to rejoining the game. Furthermore, the addition of real-time in-game data could attract prospective players who happen across the website. Lastly, in a community where the forums are almost as important as the in-game experience, a seamless integration would only benefit the community in the effort to bridge any communication gaps that still exist inside of Meep.

2. TheTastyNacho

TheTastyNacho Celebrity Meeper

I think this is one of the best suggestions I've heard in a while. This would be extremely difficult to code (I didn't understand a thing you said so I don't actually know, but it sounds like it). Huge +1

SuperDyl likes this.
  3. SuperDyl

SuperDyl Popular Meeper

This sounds amazing! I don't think it would happen over night, but a few small bits of integration at a time would be nice, especially with things such as /mail and those stalker settings to find players on each Meepcraft server.

qazini likes this.
  4. LordInateur

LordInateur Deus Ex Machina Staff Member Administrator

I was interested to see how difficult a plugin like this might be if the MeepCraft staff decided to move forward with this, so last night I threw together a small proof-of-concept. Obviously it's not terribly well-documented at all (I only took about an hour on the initial commit). As such, it's also relatively untested, use at your own risk. MeepDevs: you're more than welcome to use and/or modify this code as you wish. I'll be working on it more during the next few days.

calebpower / bukkit-webhook — Bitbucket

5. SuperDyl

SuperDyl Popular Meeper

Wish I understood it better... This prototype is a start, but more important than figuring out communication is first finding how to edit the forums files to receive communication and display the information.

6. junelawnchaired

junelawnchaired neat-o!

This would be cool if we had more developer resources, but for now, apps like MineChat can do exactly the same thing that you're saying, and no one has to do any work to make it :)

7. MasterofBoom

MasterofBoom Kitybom

The whole point is to connect it to the website. Minecraft can be buggy sometimes, and plus, @LordInateur has applied for tech, so I'd say he can do it if he gets accepted. Plus it's more designed for the people who lurk forums, but may not even have an in-game account anymore.

Natsu likes this.
  8. junelawnchaired

junelawnchaired neat-o!

I don't think people who lurk the forums would really use any of these features..if they don't play then they aren't going to care about their balance and what staff are online. I mean if he has time COOL but if not this should probably just be denied, otherwise it'll sit here for 2 years.

9. SuperDyl

SuperDyl Popular Meeper

I say, let people add bits at a time. Eventually, there could be some great integration, but until then, there are other things that need more attention. To be worked on in free time.

alex77034 likes this.