1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Tutorial revamp suggestion thread

Discussion in 'Denied' started by n00bslayer_99, Sep 9, 2016.

?

Yes?

1. Yes!

100.0%
  2. No!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. n00bslayer_99

n00bslayer_99 i like kebab

I spend a fair bit of time standing in tutorial explaining how the server works to new players, and it definitely needs a revamp. The very first thing players see when they join is "Towns/Boomo/Laser/Infected/KitPVP/HG/CTF". A staggering 3/7 of these don't even exist on the server anymore. Players often see HG and ask how to get there, at which point I have to explain that it was removed and the reasons. It is not a good first impression to join a server, see gamemodes advertised, and then see that the gamemodes don't exist. Players often leave due to this.

Secondly, "/spawn to skip the tutorial" is advertised twice in a row. We should not be encouraging new players to skip the tutorial. I'd prefer it being removed altogether, but at the very least reduce it to one advertisement of this.

/ach is the third hologram players are faced with. The system only works in a few select worlds, and the current message, "You can win money, item and fame from unlocking achievements" is a gross overstatement.

The fourth, fifth and sixth (explaining the economy, the vshop and the rules respectively) holograms are fine, but need a little more added, will expand on this later.

In the next world (after walking through the portal), the teleportation hologram has an error. It states that /tpahere is a VIP+ command. which it is not. I'm not sure if this a mistake in the hologram or if /tpahere is supposed to be VIP+ only, but it needs to be fixed. If I was a citizen and saw /tpahere was a VIP+ command, It wouldn't exactly increase my curiosity in the server.

Okay, now we get to the jobs tutorial world. The problem with it now is that players look at the different jobs, walk into a job, and bam they're teleported to spawn. No mention of how to actually make use of their new job. If they, like many new players do, simply rushed a job and didn't even see which it was, they won't be able to find out which it was. No where does it say something as simple as "/jobs for more info". I think instead of the current system of auto joining a job, it should explain to you how to join a job, and let players do so in their own time. If it's felt that players should be able to join a job without commands, I'd suggest having to right click the NPC in each job area. Then they'd be faced with a message like so:

(MeepCraft) You are about to join the [job] job! Right click me again to accept.

At this point the player should be tp'ed to spawn, and then given the message:

(MeepCraft) You have joined the [job] job! Type '/warp wild' to [fish, mine, cut wood, etc] or '/jobs' for more info!

Okay, moving away from this and back to the point in which I promised to explain later on. Right now players are only faced with snippets of information about everything, with the holograms. My suggestion: Put signs on either sides of each hologram area with more information. At the very start, add a hologram saying "Read the signs on either side for expanded information!". This would give the server a chance to put a lot more information into each thing, and still have a good chance of players reading it. Just don't add too many signs for each.

And a small suggestion: Switch the "chat" hologram with the"vshop" hologram. I'm pretty sure new players don't need to know about the vshop straight away, however knowing how to talk to the whole server is quite important.

And finally, take away the "prize" money for completing the tutorial, and instead add it to a "quiz" area. Even raise it a bit, to 5k. If players see, ok, if I take 5 minutes to read through some stuff, and then answer a few questions, I'll get the 5k I need to buy that diamond set! And thus, the player learns more about the server in this process. I remember there was a system like this in place in the 2013-14 spawn.

Please consider all this, and if you have anything to add/a better idea please comment it below.

2. Mjs6000

Mjs6000 Popular Meeper

Ima wait for clues post so i can like that, but i believe many times staff have been notified with what's wrong with tutorial, and i believe it is being fixed, if not this post will help!

3. CluelessKlutz

CluelessKlutz Badmin

Firstly, I already made a very similar suggestion a while back, which you can view the thread here, with the Trello card for it here.

Now, you'll be pleased to know when I discussed this project with Hestia, who was in charge of revamping it (not sure how that's gonna work now), the document she made for the outline does basically everything you have mentioned here. Believe it or not, what you have suggested is almost identical to what we devised, so it is already a part of the document.

cooey, n00bslayer_99 and Mjs6000 like this.
  4. n00bslayer_99

n00bslayer_99 i like kebab

ughh of course there was a ck suggestion for it already! Damn, should've looked better before I spent a half hour writing this haha.

In any case, perhaps the contents of this thread could be added/merged with the other(s).

CluelessKlutz likes this.
  5. Muunkee

Muunkee Legendary art supply hoarder

I put the post on an existing card - Trello

CluelessKlutz likes this.
  6. CluelessKlutz

CluelessKlutz Badmin

We have gone a different direction, and removed the Tutorial world entirely. Instead, we have updated /help and plan to add a Tutorial Quest in spawn. See this Trello card.