1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

The Media Team and why it's failed

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by FamousZAmos, May 27, 2018.

1. FamousZAmos

FamousZAmos Popular Meeper

So I've been noticing a lot of media applications lately, and they all keep making similar mistakes. @Kling said I can't make constructive threads, so here's a discussion thread;

why has our media team failed?

Topic - Topic is super important! Possibly the most important aspect of a youtube video is topic.
    As you can see from the attached screenshot, nearly half of the Meepcraft youtube channel's videos are just trailers for various spawns and events. While this type of content is cleanly edited, these videos are simply not entertaining. Production Quality isn't everything. The content needs value too.

Similar to Topic is Clips Chosen - In the more recent videos on the channel, there have been videos showing the parkour, towny, and even the spawn events. The spawn event videos are cool, and really show off the arch team's builds, but don't shed any light on the actual events. It would be neat to know what is happening on the server. After all, other servers have good architects too. However, the parkour trailer was the most disappointing of all. Showing only 3 courses, in an awkward 3rd person manner, this trailer certainly did not live up to its potential.

Ways (in my opinion) the Parkour/Towny trailers failed/succeeded.

- the towny one showed off the new spawn (the central point of the video) very well.
    - the parkour one completely failed to show the excitement of parkour. A good way to improve may have been add a couple seconds of first-person footage from an experienced player like Creepers or Alex.
    - the videos were well edited
    - the parkour song choice seemed out of place. I'm not saying a filthy drum'n'bass track would've fit better, but maybe something a little faster-paced?
    - this is off topic but the creative contest video was great

Finally, variety - While replay mod, third-person montages of different areas look the most professional, they don't always show the theme. For spawn trailers and the creative contests, this type of view looks great, but in parkour and the events, it would have been nice to see a little bit of clean, F1'd, first-person gameplay. Maybe even add some real in-game audio and turn down the music.

TLDR - the videos are well-edited, and look great, however, they lack variety and aren't very entertaining to watch. Also huge apology to pmx for bashing all his videos :V

anything I missed?

SuperDyl, qazini, bloodyghost and 8 others like this.
  2. CasualMow

CasualMow Celebrity Meeper

Nope you did not miss anything, altho I know that they try really hard to do it but what we need are stuff like lets plays and streams weekly for people to become intrested in the server.

bloodyghost likes this.
  3. FamousZAmos

EDIT: It's not to say they've failed, it's really to say how they could improve*

SuperDyl likes this.
  4. Kling

Kling Break blocks not hearts

I never said that on your ban appeal, since that's the only time I've spoken to you why @me?

SuperDyl and bloodyghost like this.
  5. Courtneyyy

Courtneyyy Admin Princess Staff Member Helper Media Elder

If you’d like to put forth amazing videos we would be happy to look at them!

SuperDyl and Sqreix like this.
  6. CasualMow

The last time I attempted to record I had a overlay over my screen the entire time xD so yeah No thanks :)

SuperDyl likes this.
  7. Courtneyyy

That’s not our fault but if people want to have an opinion on our media team and don’t feel the need to apply, contribute, or help the team in a positive way besides bashing videos then the opinion isn’t needed nor is it even looked at realistically.

8. CasualMow

I think all the media need to do is put out more videos that are more intresting! also having a overlay bug is not your fault its obviously mine for recording with it on and not checking while recording to ruin the video.

9. Courtneyyy

It would be amazing to put out more content but it’s nearly impossible with one media team member.

10. Pmx728

Pmx728 Legendary Meeper

I didn’t make those last 3 videos on the Meepcraft page that you are talking about. Either way though, in my opinion I prefer 3rd person perspective for things like parkour rather than 1st person. The 1st person perspective videos really bore me especially since no one is willing to talk in the videos. So maybe it’s just preference. It would be nice to have a variety tho, but no one seems to do the videos with commentary in a well produced manor.

FamousZAmos likes this.
  11. FamousZAmos

all I knew how to do was make a thread ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I thought I was pretty non-salt-mine-y

Ouch, difficult to find people with both the time and equipment I guess.

doesn't just have to be medias, you know. The community is larger than the media team. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hey I'm new to this whole "trying to be a decent human and contribute" thing

SuperDyl and PseudoGod like this.
  12. iPolarFlame

iPolarFlame Popular Meeper

Yay! A forum post that involves me!

Thanks, worked hard on that!

I do agree that we need more variety in our vids, but for now, I'm a one-trick pony. Never explored first-person shots and personally, I don't think it looks that great. Although with parkour and halo and other interactive things such as boomo, first-person perspective would be amazing. Since I enjoyed reading this and agree with it so much, I will make a first-person boomo video in the near future. After I do that, I would love to hear what you think about it and what skills I can improve. I don't think that live commentary would be the best way to go but for sure I can add some music (music suggestions?) and maybe speed up the boring parts (basically a montage). I will add some in game audio to some bits, I have a cool idea in mind ;)
    Let me know your thoughts!

(PS: Where's the attached screenshot?)

Pmx728 and FamousZAmos like this.
  13. FamousZAmos

yeah figured I better stop being a salty boi about it

ay no problem

unless you can find a deep-voiced dude with a good mic and an english accent
    oops[​IMG]

14. iPolarFlame

If you wanna get big and make it in the game of making vids you must have something people are interested or want to watch, and spawn/event teasers are very popular. I agree we should stray away from spawn trailers at least until there is a new one. (Bluapol's for this spawn is absolutely absurd) BTW, I saw you sneak dissing on me in minted_cinnamons application, no hard feelings.
    upload_2018-5-27_21-52-19.png

Pmx728 and Muunkee like this.
  15. alex77034

alex77034 Hey baby, I hear the blues a-callin'

Something big you’ve missed:

Medias when I was a staff member weren’t allowed to control or have a big say on what goes on our media accounts. I’m not sure if things have changed, but I don’t understand why they wouldn’t be allowed to do that from the start. As their title suggests, they should be doing anything that relates to our media accounts as nothing should hold them back. I know there is the big issue of trust, but when it comes down to wanting people who post videos once in a blue moon and wanting people who serve our medias good by keeping them active, we need the standard to be for the latter. That being said, I’m not trying to bash any medias, but as it stands the position is relatively loose and restrictive at the same time. Videos that medias need to make aren’t made actively but on the flip side of the coin youtube is their only platform as well.

All in all this begs the question of whether the staff team needs to take another look at what medias do so that they can better benefit the server.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 27, 2018, Original Post Date: May 27, 2018 ---
    I think more people would be encouraged to apply for the media team if what they saw them do entailed more variety.

16. Sqreix

Sqreix Celebrity Meeper

I see your point and I may not be an official Media staff of MeepCraft. I feel like I want to help the server in this aspect as well. Your thread enlightened me and if you don't mind, I will discuss to you my plans on a new content I will be creating alongside with a few community members. If you think it will suffice and can actually fit in your suggestion, please tell me honestly!

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    SuperDyl, iKitten and CluelessKlutz like this.
  17. Blazetop

Blazetop Popular Meeper

I honestly agree with the statements you've implied, which gives me the reason and motivation to really help this server through Media.

But what I really agree on, is this:
    For me, something great can't be accomplished without a team, especially when it comes to making great content, and it's quite understandable that lately, there hasn't been that much variety in content.

SuperDyl and FamousZAmos like this.
  18. FamousZAmos

and that's not 100% media team's fault. Anyone can download OBS.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 28, 2018, Original Post Date: May 28, 2018 ---
    for example; CrohnZero. Crohn made excellent quality parkour videos, and they advanced our parkour sub-community so much. And that was only one guy, who wasn't funny and didn't edit his videos.

SuperDyl and bloodyghost like this.
  19. iPolarFlame

What do you suggest?
    As I said above, I will be doing a boomo gameplay/montage in first person soon. I would love to hear what other projects you think I should start.

20. FamousZAmos

If I ever get back, I'll try to build the parkour community up, with videos. It's a long shot, but I really want an excuse to do Countryside with Nausea again