1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

The Fundamentals of World Edit

Discussion in 'Unofficial Guides' started by alex77034, Jul 27, 2017.

1. alex77034

alex77034 Hey baby, I hear the blues a-callin'

THE FUNDAMENTALS OF WORLD EDIT

World Edit is a tool used to quickly edit, add, or change areas on a large scale. It is simple to use once the basic principles and equations are known.

THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND

Before you start to use World Edit, there's some basic things you need to know. Keep in mind the following.

-Every command in world edit is done with a double slash. Example: //wand.

-World Edit is similar to basic coding. When writing equations, the same principles and formats will be repeated. Once you get the hang of it, using world edit is very easy to use.

-When getting into more complicated world edit commands, equations will get longer and you'll have to make sure everything is written correctly. Always double check everything before clicking "enter"!

GETTING STARTED

There is one thing that always stays the same when tackling any World Edit command. Before you do anything*, you need to select an area. You need to tell the plugin, "This is the area where all of my work is going to take place." Understanding how to do this is an important step in feeling control and comfort when using world edit.

*I highly suggest working on a flat surface rather than a hilly one. Choose a superflat world before doing anything else.

//WAND

The most important tool you'll ever use in world edit is called the "wand". (It's a wooden axe with loads of magic!) To get the wand, type in //wand. When selecting an area, you'll create two imaginary points. The first position and the second position. To select the first position, left click the first block you want to select, and for the second position, right click the second block you want to select.

HOW CAN I SELECT AN AREA OF ANY SIZE WITH JUST TWO POINTS?

It's simple really! The first point goes in one corner of the area and the second point goes in the opposite corner diagonally from the first point. If the area you're selecting is more than one block in width, one point needs to be on the bottom and the second point needs to stretch upward, to the highest point. It would look something like this:

POSITIONS DIAGRAM:

[​IMG]

//POS1 & //POS2

The wand is not the only tool used to set positions. If you're setting positions in the air, it's easier to type in the positions using //pos1 and //pos2. //pos1 and //pos2 are most commonly used when there's no physical block to click on using the wand. //pos1 and //pos2's position is set wherever you're standing. Knowing this, if the positions you're setting can't be stood on, then the wand is a more viable option.

(If you always want a physical block to set your positions, //up will do the trick. Do //up [Number of blocks]).

THE BASICS:

In World edit, more often than not, you'll be using the basic commands the most because they're a part of everything you do.

//SET

Now that you have your selected area, let's spice it up a little. Using //set, you can fill the area with any type of block you want. Simply type //set (BLOCK ID)
    I suggest that for now you use 1 - which is stone.

There you go! The selected area should be the type of block you wanted! If not, make sure you did the following.

-Did you set your first and second position using //wand or //pos?

-Did you use double slashes with every command?

-Did you spell everything correctly?

-Is the block ID you're using correct? (For less complications, use 1 for now).

//COPY

If you wanted a copy of the figure you just created, it'd be a pain to measure out and do it over again; especially if you have a build you've made that can't be created again with //set and would need to be done again by hand. This is where //copy comes in!

Once again, make sure your positions are selected and everything is in check. Before copying, stand where you want the figure to be copied. I recommend, when copying, to stand in the center front of your figure. Type in //copy and you're all set!

//PASTE

As soon as you copy your figure, stand where you want it to be placed. Then, type in //paste*.

Helpful Tip: Doing //paste -a instead of //paste removes the air that's been copied over from the first figure.

Voilá! Now you've got a copy of the figure!

//CUT

Being able to remove things with ease is paramount in World Edit. Now you know all about setting positions and using //set, //copy, and //paste, //cut is essentially. Simply type in //cut to remove your figure.

//ROTATE

When making walls or buildings, //rotate can be very useful.

One of the aspects of World Edit is dealing with different areas of math. Specifically with //rotate, degrees and angles come into play. Rotating objects can get quite messy if you don't rotate them using multiples of 90.

FIGURES ROTATED IN MULTIPLES OF 90:

[​IMG]
    Figure at starting position.

[​IMG]
    Figure rotated at 90 degrees.

[​IMG]
    Figure rotated at 180 degrees.

[​IMG]
    Figure rotated at 270 degrees.

[​IMG]
    Figure rotated at 360 degrees. The figure has returned to the starting position.

FIGURE ROTATED AT A DIFFERENT MULTIPLE:

[​IMG]
    Figure rotated at 12 degrees.

To rotate your figure, select the positions and decide how many degrees you want to rotate your figure*. Then, type //rotate (DEGREES).

*See photos of degrees for rotation positions.

OOPS! I JUST MESSED UP. WHAT DO I DO?

//UNDO & //REDO

No need to worry! If you mess up, you can use //undo or //redo to fix your mistake! However, be careful. After a maximum limit of undos and redos, you won't be able to do it anymore - unless you make another change.

If you want to make changes in a large quantity, type in the number of times you want something to be undone or redone after putting in (//undo [or] //redo) Example: //undo 3

==============================

Congratulations!

You know the fundamentals of World Edit! I hope you now have a feel of what World Edit is like, and that you will continue to further educate yourself about this wonderful tool.

If you're willing to dive deeper into World Edit, I'd love to hear if you’d like a Beginning/Intermediate guide that would build the foundation for more complex commands and equations. I hope that you enjoyed this tutorial, and most importantly, enjoyed using World Edit as well.

Thank you.

See a mistake or an error? Don’t hesistate to ask! This is an unofficial guide that, at anytime, can be changed or fixed for the benefit of everyone.

A big thanks to @EllieEllie for help with editing and @0zblox for providing pictures.

Positions Diagram Photo: https://i.imgur.com/vveG1tp_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

A guide written by alex77034.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. SpongeyStar

SpongeyStar Professor in Wumbology

nice guide but you should put it under unofficial guides not discussion

iKitten, Pmx728 and Natsu like this.
  3. Natsu

Natsu Celebrity Meeper

You should probably include how you can download worldedit and run it on forge

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  4. alex77034

Whoops, didn't see.

iKitten and Pmx728 like this.
  5. alex77034

Moved it. Hopefully it's some help to any of you who are willing to start world edit wherever.

GroovyGrevous, iKitten and Pmx728 like this.
  6. 0zblox

0zblox Celebrity Meeper Staff Member Architect

Great intro to world edit.

iKitten and alex77034 like this.
  7. alex77034

Thanks; I want to encourage others to use and learn world edit because it can be so fun to use, even if not for building.

8. onceuponajano

onceuponajano nump(t)y queen

great guide alex, well done! will be definitely using this :)

MasterTurtle, iKitten and alex77034 like this.
  9. alex77034

If you want to ask any questions don't hesistate to ask me :)

If others want another guide I'd be willing to do so.

10. Epicdude141

Epicdude141 Celebrity Meeper

I like WorldEdit

steviefiveo56, iKitten and alex77034 like this.
  11. minetifa

minetifa Celebrity Meeper

always having a physical block is easier for people just coming to worldedit IMO, like using /up 1 to get a block to click on

12. alex77034

Forgot to mention that, thanks!

minetifa likes this.
  13. alex77034

I hope this guide was useful to somebody!

Would any of you guys like to see another one? Message me or comment some guides!

iKitten likes this.
  14. WhoNeedsJimbo

WhoNeedsJimbo Popular Meeper

I need a tutorial on detotated wam.

15. andrewrobins

andrewrobins My views are my own.

A good site for minecraft ID’s

https://minecraft-ids.grahame/

//flip - flips the //copy to the reverse of where you are looking. So if you copy a town, then use flip looking down. Then the //paste will paste the town upsidedown above your head.

//replace 1(stone) will replace all blocks within your position points into stone.

//replace 0(air) 1(stone) will replace all air blocks into stone.

//replace 1(stone) 35(wool) will replace all stone into wool.

//replace 1(stone) 35(wool),35:4(yellow wool) will replace stone blocks with white wool and yellow wool at a 50%. Putting %’s after the blocks will make one block dominate another. (Remember to put a (,) between block I.D’s otherwise you may spawn in a block undesired or you could fail the equation.

//sphere 1(stone) 10 (size) will create a stone sphere 10 wide, ten high.

//hsphere 1(Stone) 10 (size) will create a hollow stone sphere ten wide ten high.

//cyl 1(Stone) 10 (diameter) 20 (height) will create a ten wide cylinder 20 blocks high. If you want it to go down not up just put a negative number (-20)

//hcyl Putting a h after // and before cyl will create your structure hollow.

Advanced.
    These commands will generate structures to the size you set with //pos1 and //pos2 or your left and right click using a wand.

This command will create a stone arch like a 3dimensional rainbow of stone.

//g stone (0.75-sqrt(x^2+y^2))^2+z^2 < 0.25^2

This will create a rainbow torus out of multi-coloured wool.

//g wool data=(32+15/2/pi*atan2(x,y))%16; (0.75-sqrt(x^2+y^2))^2+z^2 < 0.25^2

This command will create a stump of a tree.

//g -h log (0.5+sin(atan2(x,z)*8)*0.2)*(sqrt(x*x+z*z)/0.5)^(-2)-1.2 < y

This will create a rainbow egg.

//g wool data=(32+y*16+1)%16; y^2/9+x^2/6*(1/(1-0.4*y))+z^2/6*(1/(1-0.4*y))<0.08

This will create a love heart <3

//g wool:red (z/2)^2+x^2+(5*y/4-sqrt(abs(x)))^2<0.6

This will create a sine wave.

//g -h glass sin(x*5)/2<y

This will create a radial cosine wave.

//g -h glass cos(sqrt(x^2+z^2)*5)/2<y

This will create a circular hyperboloid.

//g stone -(z^2/12)+(y^2/4)-(x^2/12)>-0.03

And there’s still loads more.

riri30 and GroovyGrevous like this.
  16. alex77034

Cool stuff, thanks for linking. Thinking of making an intermediate’s guide eventually.