1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Tech Application from lordusan

Discussion in 'Denied' started by lordusan, Mar 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordusan

lordusan The true #DarkKnight

Member Name lordusan

Additional In Game Names: Lordusan

How old are you? 19

Do you have Discord? Yeah

How many hours per day do you spend on Meepcraft? (average) 1

Have you ever been a Tech on a different server? Many

References: Please give IGN's

Introduction: Hey what's up I'm Lordusan + I'm back. Self isolation has me bored as hell so I want to get back to the things I enjoyed doing b4. I'm currently a sophomore @ Stanford studying CS, used to play Meep a crap ton, was a helper->mod and then a tech for a little bit. I don't play much anymore but have a lot more time now so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Please describe your experience as a developer. Started off self taught in 6th grade (8 years ago?), then learned a little more in high school + finished CS core at Stanford (CS 106B -> CS 110 + all theory stuff too, 103/109/161)

What programming languages are you familiar with? Java (most relevant)
    Others (not important tbh)

What are you most proud of as your work as a developer? Probably writing a bare metal computer system from scratch (wrote everything from printf -> mem allocator) on a raspberry pi and then using it to make a drink mixer.

How do you plan to enrich the experience of MeepCraft with your development contributions? I'm happy to do whatevers needed for y'all and help out.

Do you have a GitHub account or personal website? If so, please provide the link(s) here. jsutaria - Overview

IzzSt, riri30, Viperfan and 8 others like this.
  2. GroovyGrevous

GroovyGrevous Break hearts not blocks

This man can code +1

sup m8 been a minute

BooBear1227, whoisnate and Liz like this.
  3. LordInateur

LordInateur Deus Ex Machina Staff Member Administrator

Certainly, you would no doubt understand our hesitation to bring you on board as a full-fledged tech with any elevated access, both in-game and on the console, or in any capacity as a systems administrator. So, while I'm not inclined to recommend the Tech staff rank for you, I'd definitely be a proponent of accepting you into our ComDev program (exclusively for plugin development). At this point in time, that decision would be based purely on risk factors.

If you'd like, you're more than welcome to shoot me a few links to your remote repos.

4. lordusan

lordusan The true #DarkKnight

Totally understanding the hesitation - but I’d love to hop on discord and actually discuss what happened several years back. Regardless - I definitely would love to convince you that my abilities as a developer most certainly outweighs whatever risk you feel bringing me on would entail. Over the past few years that I’ve aged/matured, I’ve worked at a stealth startup, built up a non profit + working on my own startup, and am going to be working at SpaceX where we’re working under ITAR regulations among many others: so definitely understand what providing me elevated access would entail.

As for remote repos - I’ll provide more info when we have a chance to chat! I can’t give repo access to most things that I’ve written and think it’d be much easier for me to show you stuff to evaluate.

IzzSt, riri30, Meznik and 4 others like this.
  5. Viperfan

Viperfan Celebrity Meeper Staff Member Game Designer

the possibility of lordususan being tech again is exciting to me and everyone +1

6. LordInateur

Certainly. If the staff decides to move forward with interviews, I'll make sure that I'm in the loop so I can speak with you then. I don't really have any doubts about your technical prowress--though I am curious to look more into what you've done, I certainly feel the pain of not being able to include proprietary repos in a portfolio--but I do still believe that ComDev will be a good starting point so that I'm more comfortable lifting various access restrictions in the potential future.

That being said, quite a bit has changed on the security policy side. We do operate relatively closely to the PoLP in terms of DevSecOps roles--that is, I've ensured that OS-level access is rarely granted, even among Admins. Future potential CI/CD integrations will hopefully make most manual OS-level operations relatively unnecessary, save for general maintenance and rare emergencies.

I do look forward to the staff decision on this--we're not in much need of SysAdmins right now, but we're certainly short on Software Engineers.

Meznik, GroovyGrevous, Natsu and 2 others like this.
  7. AwesomeAdoGamer

AwesomeAdoGamer Celebrity Meeper

looks good +1

8. Pmx728

Pmx728 Legendary Meeper

9. LordInateur

@lordusan thanks again for applying. We've decided that we would like to see you in ComDev, pending the outcome of a short interview. Due to our hesitation denoted above, we are--technically--marking this application as a denial, but please reach out to me on Discord (LordInateur#7745) and I'd be happy to send you a link to Doodle so we can set up said ComDev interview.

qazini likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.