1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

New layout for suggestions!

Discussion in 'Denied' started by CaveSpiderSam, Aug 30, 2016.

?

New layout: yes or no?

1. Absolutely! Great idea!

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Yeah, sure

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Meh.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Nope

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Absolutely not! Terrible idea!

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Don't care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CaveSpiderSam

CaveSpiderSam Popular Meeper

Yeah, so @kcschmidt has done a great many suggestions on this subforum, which all follow roughly the same structure of Background-Issue-Modification-Benefits. This seems like a good way of laying out suggestions, and is quite a lot better than other suggestions since all the information is in places, rather than all over the place. Basically, suggestions from now on should follow the way of kcschmidt.
    The layout could go like this:
    Problem
    This is where the problem and its reasons for existence are stated, for example: lack of clarity in suggestions due to no layout.
    Suggestion
    This is the main part of the suggestion where players explain their suggestion and how it would work, f.ex: new suggestion layout, doing subheadings the way you do ban appeal subheadings.
    Benefits
    This is where players outline the benefits of their proposed suggestion, f.ex: added clarity and understandability to suggestions.

And there you have it! A big idea, neatly wrapped into three sections.

Edit: What seems to be the plan so far
    • Add the new format as an optional extra, don't enforce (Idea courtesy of @kcschmidt and @Deinen)
    • Background-Suggestions-Benefits-Additional with parentheses for clarification (Idea courtesy of @Muunkee

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Toostenheimer and CluelessKlutz like this.
  2. Muunkee

Muunkee Legendary art supply hoarder

I wouldnt mind having a format similar to the report a player/bug/ban appeal formats, and I think this would filter things out and make stuff easier to go through when staff have suggestion meetings...
    +1

CluelessKlutz likes this.
  3. CluelessKlutz

CluelessKlutz Badmin

One thing I would change for the format, is have the option of removing the problem area, because there's not always an issue with something we have (for a suggestion). Because, if a person is suggesting something new, then the only thing they could list as a problem is we don't have it already. I would reccomend making the sections: Background, Modification(s), and Benefits.

Toostenheimer likes this.
  4. Muunkee

I'm thinking, these, in the parentheses it'll be info under the boxes so people know what to put there for sure
    - Background (Describe the issue or reasoning behind the suggestion)
    - Suggestions (What are some ways to change this?)
    - Benefits (How will this make the server better?)
    - Additional info (Is there anything else we need to know?

5. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

The reason is suggestions isn't priority enough to warrant people to be forced to follow a writing guideline. Additionally suggestions, to me, aren't a priority enough to warrant staff taking time to moderate the many posts that do not follow this guideline.

Why fix something that isn't broken?

6. CaveSpiderSam

Good ideas people, good ideas.

7. CluelessKlutz

CluelessKlutz Badmin

This, basically, is the formula I use, but worded differently. However, I like that wording much more for a general layout.

To counter this, I believe the format should be optional. Where, you can still post suggestions as you can now, but have the option of having the format there for you. I don't want it to be "use the format or it won't be considered," but more of giving people the placeholders so they can think more about what exactly their idea does. If you were to open the format, and really think about an idea, there's a higher chance each posted idea would be more thoroughly explained. For very small suggestions, I believe the current form could be an option, as well.

8. CaveSpiderSam

It could have cracks that you can't see. This will hopefully avoid any lack of clarity in suggestions, meaning amazing suggestions made by somewhat disorganized players don't get denied because staff don't know what they mean.

Photoave12 and CluelessKlutz like this.
  9. OneBreadSlice

OneBreadSlice Celebrity Meeper

Adding new content could increase donations... OH GOD I MEAN PURCHASES BECAUSE YOU DONT LIKE THE D WORD.

Photoave12 likes this.
  10. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

This is a great compromise. I'd +1 this, but nothing enforced. We could use the form thing to further motivate people.

Muunkee and CluelessKlutz like this.
  11. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

I think both words imply something. If you look back, I've had discussions where I have staunchly argued that it was donations, then Fuzzlr corrected the record.

The massive difference is: If you donate, you are owed nothing. If you make a purchase, you are owed at least something, and that is the server's best intentions on what it does.

Lady_Hestia and CluelessKlutz like this.
  12. X11

X11 Well-Known Meeper

Because that is what Meepcraft does.

13. fasehed

fasehed Celebrity Meeper

Just copy and paste an @kcschmidt suggestion but replace the suggestion with your suggestion.

Photoave12 likes this.
  14. CluelessKlutz

CluelessKlutz Badmin

Depending in which one it is, it'll take less time for someone to make the formatted document than it would to delete whatever I wrote.

fasehed likes this.
  15. Lady_Hestia

Lady_Hestia Retro, Dance, Freak

Not only is this unnecessary but it limits the good suggestions we receive. What if the the player has the COOLEST suggestion in the world that we totally NEED right now but they are a little bit young and haven't had training in writing?

I think having a format is limiting even when it's optional. There is no one way to format a suggestion. I don't agree this is the best one either. We have the suggested post format, if you want just come here and copy paste.

Irony you didn't even use this template on your own post

16. CluelessKlutz

CluelessKlutz Badmin

I agree there are many ways to format a suggestion. However, I would like to point out the current staff thread for formatting suggestions doesn't really tell you anything about how to write your idea out. The goal of adding this kind of template would allow people to create whatever format they wanted. Rather than just labeling a text box "Benefits," I believe it would work better to simply put the questions from the staff thread on suggestions above text boxes. That way, anyone making a suggestion can see these, even if they haven't opened this thread. An example of this would be putting questions over what I label as "benefits" as "How does this benefit the server?" So instead of creating a fill-in-the-blank, it prompts you to think about the idea. If someone doesn't follow "the format," then why bother denying it?

17. Muunkee

Denied
    If you want to format it yourself you can. :]