1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Net Neutrality

Discussion in 'Debates' started by CluelessKlutz, Dec 15, 2017.

1. CluelessKlutz

CluelessKlutz Badmin

Obviously this has been a hot topic as of late, figured I might as well start the debate thread for it. If you don't clearly know what net neutrality is, I'd highly suggest doing some research of your own before listening to all the ads for and against it.

KyloMeep, Adrian, qazini and 3 others like this.
  2. LordInateur

LordInateur Deus Ex Machina Staff Member Administrator

Unfortunately, I've found that individuals living in the United States tend to be for or against Net Neutrality based on their party lines. I, for one, was extremely disappointed in the FCC's decision today. Though, I hope that this change prompts the People to pressure Congress for a more permanent solution in the form of US Law.

I fully support Net Neutrality for the following reasons:
    • The Internet should be equally available. We are currently living in the Information and Telecommunications Revolution--that is, we are living in a time when we are refining how to define the practices and procedures around information technology, and I believe that we are going to be the most successful as a society if we treat the Internet like a public utility--something that is treated as a necessary item for the progression of the individual and the community.
    • Net Neutrality drives innovation. Without Net Neutrality, internet service providers (ISPs) have the potential and ability to throttle the websites of start-up companies that don't pay them, while larger companies who are able to pay these costs will become better known. A lack of Net Neutrality will eventually make it difficult for small businesses to grow as we continue through the Information and Telecommunications Revolution.
    • Content should be free. I don't mean free in cost; rather, I mean that it should be free-flowing. ISPs should not be permitted to control the (legal) content that individuals are allowed to view. Without Net Neutrality, ISPs now have the ability to limit content based on whether or not that content comes from a competitor, whether or not the content is explicitly paid for, and even whether or not the content comes from a source that contrasts with the views of the ISP as a company itself. In a world where various media outlets are referred to as "fake news" it becomes incredibly important that our sources of information are diverse.
    Again, it is important that such laws go through Congress to make them more permanent. I will, however, be interested in what the Meep community has to offer in regard to opposing views.

J055Y_, KyloMeep, Pmx728 and 6 others like this.
  3. minepose98

minepose98 Celebrity Meeper

This is an issue where I'm not sure as to how anyone can be against net neutrality aside from ISPs. I'd love to see any arguments against net neutrality.

SuperDyl likes this.
  4. MeepLord27

MeepLord27 Popular Meeper

Net neutrality is just a bandaid for the government aided monopolies that shouldn’t exist in the first place. If people got serious about letting a free market develop in the isp industry we wouldn’t need net neutrality. State and Local governments already kill competition from potential startups, not to mention the billions of dollars in subsidies given to the big isp companies.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Math_Pro and kwagscraft like this.
  5. CluelessKlutz

CluelessKlutz Badmin

The issue with this is the government already has very strict restrictions on who can become an isp, not to mention that many people don't have options when it comes to choosing an isp in their area. To use it as an example, Alaska is the only state with Blockbusters because the ISP companies do not want to invest in order to build the proper wires required for high speed internet, so Netflix and other streaming services aren't practical.

SuperDyl and riri30 like this.
  6. MeepLord27

That is what I said. Net neutrality is a government solution to a government problem. If we actually had an unfettered free market competition would do the job that net neutrality is doing right now.

SuperDyl likes this.
  7. WhoNeedsJimbo

WhoNeedsJimbo Popular Meeper

Klutz, you've blown my mind again

SuperDyl and iKitten like this.
  8. IzzSt

IzzSt Celebrity Meeper

Net neutrality as it is now (dead) is not fully true, as of now Internet Service Providers have to mention to the public whenever they choose to block or restrict access to a certain video, website, and etcetera.

9. evilalec555

evilalec555 Celebrity Meeper

Still has to pass through congress

10. Epicdude141

Epicdude141 Celebrity Meeper

incorrect

Marshy_88 likes this.
  11. MeepLord27

Congress can, if motivated, override the fcc decision.

SuperDyl likes this.
  12. Epicdude141

Epicdude141 Celebrity Meeper

yes that is correct but however...
    • With a Republican Congress that is hell-bent on destroying anything even associated with "Obama", that won't happen
    • FCC doesn't need congressional approval on their decisions

cooey, Adam34falcon, Adrian and 3 others like this.
  13. LordInateur

I think that individuals who say say "the internet really isn't neutral anyways" don't quite comprehend what the word "Neutrality" in "Net Neutrality" refers to.
    I do want to point out that the internet as a whole was essentially a government-funded project... so if the "government problem" is the internet at large, you'd be correct. Otherwise, I would argue that your statement should be amended to read that "Net Neutrality is a government solution to a corporation problem."

I find it ironic that those who are against Net Neutrality with the reason that it "isn't truly neutral anyways" are generally the same people who think that the "free market" is truly free.

J055Y_, Pmx728 and SuperDyl like this.
  14. MeepLord27

Internet service providers were not created by the government. The lack of competition in the internet service provider industry was the problem created by the government I was referring too.
    Free markets are free, and also the most efficient and ethical way to allocate resources.

15. LordInateur

I didn't say that ISPs were created by the government... but I am interested in knowing how this directly helps small internet service providers, and why you believe that internet service providers are more important than every other business discipline on the internet.

In regard to this generalized statement, particularly concerning your claims that it is both the most "efficient" and the most "ethical," do you have any well-founded research to back this up?

Pmx728 and SuperDyl like this.
  16. epick8

epick8 The Meme Lord

Not exactly. They can pass legislation that overrides it but the actual rule stands unless Congress specifically chooses to act on it. Aka: they can override it, but doesnt mean the decesion has to go through congress to be approved.

Net neutrality is very important for consumers and internet based site startups. Im not going to provide the lengthy commentary for it, but I will say if you enjoy netflix, they can slow your connection down or make you pay more for it. Being against net neutrality is one of the dumbest sides a person can take on a matter cuz theres so little benefit from repealing it

SuperDyl and LordInateur like this.
  17. MeepLord27

I didn’t say giving this specific piece of freedom back to the market would help small internet service providers. Where are you getting the idea I said internet service providers are more important than “every other business discipline on he internet.
    Free markets are based on voluntary mutually beneficial transactions between individuals usually involving the trade of private property, which is an exstension of self ownership. Any effort to coercively interfere with a transaction like this is infringing on the participants self ownership, I.E. unethical. As for establishing it as most efficient, in a general sense I guess I would point you to a supply and demand curve.

18. MyGmail

MyGmail Celebrity Meeper

Net Neutrality came into effect in 2015. The internet will likely be very similar to what it was before then. Internet service providers won't make you pay to use websites, as it will likely persuade some of the consumers to switch to a provider not slowing down/forcing you to pay for the programs they want to use.

I honestly don't see the point of getting rid of net neutrality, but I don't see it becoming as big of a problem most people are making it out to be.

19. epick8

epick8 The Meme Lord

except not every provider that would offer this plan is in every area? This was a noted phenomena that certain businesses would stay out of other territories. Your belief in absolute free market capitalism is unfounded. Maybe consider the possibilty that wealthy businessmen would have incentive to band together and collaborate in an effort to get more profit

20. jadenPete

jadenPete Code Writer & Meme Trader

I fully support Net Neutrality, but I'm tired of the echo chamber. Most of my friends support it, but don't even know what it is. We need to educated people on it instead of telling them that "they'll have no more internet."

IzzSt and SuperDyl like this.