1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Minimum Wages

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Daniel Thompson, Apr 10, 2017.

Tags:
?

Do you think minimum wage would help your economy and its people?

1. Yes, this would seriously help.

43.8%
  2. This may help, but may not.

12.5%
  3. No, increasing it will damage the economy and the people.

37.5%
  4. I'm not really sure about it.

6.3%
  1. Daniel Thompson

Daniel Thompson Popular Meeper

Throughout every federal government around the world, most have set in place minimum wages, that requires the basic legal pay of someone for any job. But some argue that raising it will increase inflation on items, which is probably what Americans hear a lot about, when actually they are lying to keep paying you the same amount for years.

In America the minimum wage is $7.25/hour of the US dollar with the price of a Big Mac costing $3.25.

Meanwhile in Australia we get paid the minimum wage of $17.70/hour AUD (equal to about $13.64 USD) while paying $4.81 for a Big Mac. Even with this minimum wage, mostly every company pays more than the minimum wage, up around the $20-$28 an hour mark in the Australian Dollar. Inflation has not seriously affected Australia at all. While the recent change to raise it to $17.70 was only last year, the United States has not changed the price of their minimum wage since 2009.

Yes some sites may say that Australia's minimum wage is around $9.00/hour, but on the Fair Works website, it displays the correct information of minimum wages in Australia. Across the globe, Australia is considered the highest minimum wage country in the world today.

What do you think about minimum wage? Would it really affect your country to change the minimum wage amount? What are your views about it? Discuss your thoughts and views about it.

cooey, GroovyGrevous and Erebus45 like this.
  2. Blue_Marlin

Blue_Marlin Popular Meeper

Minimum wage should be $8 an hour. Max. You should not be working a minimum wage job as a career. Jobs like Mc. Donald's are made for younger people. High school / college. That's what it's for. To flip a burger making $15 an hour is ridiculous. They get inflation in America by the cost of things. If we were to raise the wages of employees the Big Mac would go up in price, significantly. Get a better paying job is my suggestion. The problem with people in America is that they are lazy. They don't want to do manual labor, they don't want to work hard. You get out what you put in.

Marshy_88 likes this.
  3. Marshy_88

Marshy_88 Celebrity Meeper

Minimum wage here is around 11.25 ($8.44 USD) We keep it low so inflation doesn't sky rocket. If we keep giving money to people we have to pay for it some how. You say that minimum wage is twice the price of a big mac? If minimum wage is raised, the price of the big mac is raised, so it is half of minimum wage. Answer: Don't make flipping burgers your career.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 11, 2017, Original Post Date: Apr 11, 2017 ---
    Also, don't use Australia as an example, prices of consumer products are messed up, as they have massive import taxes. Even though you live there, it's not a good example. A car here, like a Porsche, that is 100,000$ here, is 250,000$ in Australia.

MeepLord27 likes this.
  4. Deljikho

Deljikho Lazy Swami

According to a study by Purdue University: If minimum wage was raised to $15.00 then the prices of items, most specifically the Big Mac, would go up by 4.3%. This means it would go from $3.99 to $4.17; You seriously consider that a significant increase? Where are you getting your sources?

Cherrykit, Pmx728 and Erebus45 like this.
  5. WeAreNumberUno

WeAreNumberUno Celebrity Meeper

No its not.
    Look it up.
    Look up why the president who implemented it implemented it.

6. Blue_Marlin

Working at Mc. Donald's at age 40 is sad, its not meant to be made into a career.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 11, 2017, Original Post Date: Apr 11, 2017 ---
    If you work at crappy places you deserve crappy pay, simple as that.

7. DancingCactus

DancingCactus Legendary Meeper

increasing the minimum wage does not directly increase inflation

that's not how economics work lol

setting a BINDING price floor on the market of labour, or a setting a minimum wage, creates a discrepancy between a company's desired amount of labour hired and actual labour hired

since the input prices per unit of labour are higher, firms aren't able to hire as many people since the same amount of revenue needs to account for more wages

since there is a discrepancy between the quantity supplied and quantity demanded in the market of labour, this creates structural unemployment

raising the minimum wage in fact increases unemployment not inflation

while inflation and unemployment are directly proportional, they arise from different reasons

BlackJack likes this.
  8. Blue_Marlin

Okay I never once said it would immediately cause inflation. (wether you are talking to me or not) just wanted to clear that up and how is raising the minimum wage going to cut unemployment? You cant get a job making 15 an hour so you just dont work? Thats not how life works.

9. Epicdude141

Epicdude141 Celebrity Meeper

Please stop talking, you're embarrassing yourself because you obviously are very ignorant on this subject.

From what I could decipher from that headache of a post, you are asking how increasing minimum wage will cause unemployment, I think.

Basically higher wages = more payment for workers = less employees for same amount of money = less job opportunities = higher unemployment

I also love these types of threads because you have the people who think they know what they are talking about and the people who actually do.

Yes it does. If these people aren't getting hired than they aren't working. Dude it's kinda self explanatory.

Oh boy dude, oh boy. Yes, it can be made into a career. If you think that the people working at McDonald's are there because they love it then I'm the pope. These people work at McDonald's because that is the best job they can get at the time, sorry if they don't have the 6 figure jobs that people are extremely lucky to get due to the many variables that must be right to be able to have those jobs. Sure, those who are underprivileged can work hard and beat the system, but I'm sure that those are the small minority (don't quote me on that).

Cause sure, that's super easy to do. I'm sure people working jobs like at McDonald's haven't already thought of that.

Tell that to the mexican immigrant working on a farm for long-ass hours getting paid sometimes below minimum wage.

Oh and just for laughs...

cooey, funkyrainbows, SX1 and 10 others like this.
  10. Blue_Marlin

Id im ignorant then so is @Natsu because surprisingly we agree on something (so I think) (this is a proud moment Nat) we may disagree on the Mc. Donald's thing but minimum wage is fine as it is. Go ahead you economic genius and continue acting as if raising the minimum wage would bring in more jobs.

Oh thank you <3 giving people headaches is my goal. Ill take it as a compliment.

Okay either your agreeing with me or you just worded that really stupidly. At the beginning you said "higher wages" then you had a bunch of stupid "=" in between before you got to "higher unemployment" SO basically your saying raising the salaries of many would cause many to lose a job? (this is a question in case you didn't know, this is not me acting like i know everything)

Well i dont know everything about economics as im still learning, however you seem to be a few fries short of a happy meal on somethings that you say.

Are you dumb or dumb? Your answer has nothing to do with my question/statement. Im saying "i cant find a job making at least 15 an hour so im gonna sit at home and do nothing (aka not work)" your answer was "people dont have jobs when they dont get hired". This has nothing to do with what I said.

Okay, a career is something that you start doing and retire from doing. I understand that there are a handful of people that get a job at a minimum wage job to put food on the table. That would be a job not a career. Also not everyone has to make a 6 figure salary, you can live a good life on 50k or so. less than that if you budget right.

Its easier to get a better paying job if you are willing to do manual labor or jobs that "aren't as easy" as flipping burgers or taking someones order.

1.) Yes only Mexicans work on farms. (this was sarcasm)
    2.) many people work "long hours"
    3.) If they are getting paid under minimum wage they are
    a.) not paying taxes
    b.) probably illegally in America
    and
    c.) Sending money to their family in their country or supporting their 10 kids.

Again, yes it causes inflation (if you deny that raising minimum wage wont cause inflation you are an idiot) and i never said it would cause it instantly.

11. Epicdude141

Epicdude141 Celebrity Meeper

Lul don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything close to "raising minimum wage would bring it more jobs"

Yes, that's what I meant. If you want to understand it maybe change the "=" to a "->" idk.

Okay guess that was a misunderstanding on my part/bad wording on yours. Obviously that's not how the world works. If you take my statement for literally what you said previously then it makes sense. Obviously the people who really need the minimum wage to be raised cannot afford to sit at home if they can't find a job making at least 15 an hour.

Okay...
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

That's called a hyperbole. I exaggerated it to make a claim.

Cause I'm sure those pay much more than jobs flipping burgers or taking someones order.

That's great, and that proves how it isn't always "you get out what you put in" like what you described. If that were the case then I'm sure those working the fields on farms would get much more than those sitting on a computer in an office (if we are talking in a physical, hardworking sense. Yes I know there is a whole other mental aspect but that's just an example).

Call me an idiot but you are the one that's over simplifying something that is very complicated. Lots of factors contribute to inflation and to say that raising the minimum wage is one of them is like saying that wood dust causes cancer (see #38)

Great, I'll call him ignorant too idc. Oh and I'm not the only one who thinks that we should raise the minimum wage.
    (Yes I know these are opinion pieces, I'm not drawing facts from them I'm proving a point that many people think like I do)

We should raise the minimum wage: Reich

Column: Why raising the minimum wage is good economics

The Real Argument For Raising The Minimum Wage

Why the Next President Should Raise the Minimum Wage

EDIT: Pic isn't working. FeelsBadMan

metr0n0me likes this.
  12. Daniel Thompson

Daniel Thompson Popular Meeper

Okay, not being mean to anyone but here is my response to some of these answers:

While it would be cool to have a Porsche, it isn't really made for the Australian Climate nor worth having it damaged or stolen.

Marlin, have you ever heard of the saying, "Do what you love and you never have to work a day in your life."? It means that if you have a job that doesn't pay a lot, but you enjoy doing it, then that's all that matters, even if it means working at Macca's (Australians way for McDonald's).

That is true, it doesn't start straight away, it usually would go slowly into it.

Yes $50,000 a year is good, but some people can't budget, because they can't afford everything, from Healthcare, Food, Housing, Insurance, Electricity, Water, Maintenance, etc.

In Australia, most jobs must be no more than 38 hours a week on full-time (In most jobs).

No one in Australia is EVER underpaid. If you work in Australia you MUST have a tax file number, otherwise the bank you are with WILL take almost 50% of your income and put it in tax. If arriving without identification, you will be off to one of Australia's Detention Centre's until either; proven they say who they are, able to be a proper citizen of Australia, or until admitting not proven who they are (in which case shipped back to their country). They can still send money overseas, still applying with tax payment.

Either all, in Australia we call it a job anyway.

Yes, the point of raising wages is to give them enough money to actually make a living, not to create jobs.

If you mean jobs like a tradie job, then yes, but as before, not everyone wants to do a job they do for better pay.

Well it does slightly increase unemployment, it also increases prices from inflation.

So here is my response to your answers. Not making enemies, trying to say my side.

13. lfpnub

lfpnub Popular Meeper

That's an awfully over general statement. Time for some economic truths my man.

1. Only one person can get each job.
    2. Most qualified usually gets it.
    3. Systemic factors hold back some communities, making it harder to get qualifications (College)
    4. Why should you get f*** over for existing?

14. Natsu

Natsu Celebrity Meeper

@Blue_marlin98 I never said that I agree with you? I just said that the current minimum wage is fine as is, and @Epicdude141 is also saying that too, I believe. I don't want to get into this very lengthy debate about a stupid topic, but your post, is very ignorant:
    Please try to base your opinion off of facts, not observations of your town, thanks :)

Epicdude141 likes this.
  15. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

How many hours a week do you work?

cooey, BlackJack, Marshy_88 and 2 others like this.
  16. Blue_Marlin

@lfpnub i know how this works. No one is screwing anyone for existing but simply making them work for the things they need. $15 an hour to work the minimum wage jobs is ridiculous.

@Natsu did you not say the minimum wage is fine? Did I not say the minimum wage is fine?
    Is that not agreeing? Although we don't agree on a lot of things I was simply saying "wow we agree that the minimum wage should stay the same".

@Deinen i don't have a job right now because I'm a senior in high school and won't get a job until after I continue my education. I'm lucky enough to live in a household where my parents and support me while I'm in high school. Senior year is almost over and I need a like 2 months of real estate classes then I'll have a job. However, I have worked hours with my family business. So although I do not have a "job" I'm still in school.

17. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

So you've never had a paying job?

BlackJack likes this.
  18. Blue_Marlin

I have worked for my family business. Receiving a pay check that I deposited into the bank? No. Received money for working? Yes.

As I said, I am still in high school.

19. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

So, since you've never ever held a real job, it seems you're opinions are unqualified for this thread.

Lilliya, cooey, SX1 and 6 others like this.
  20. Blue_Marlin

If that's the case then many of my family members aren't qualified to talk about it LOL