1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Meep Staff should be able to inform mayors/comayors on why another town staff member was banned

Discussion in 'Completed' started by bloodyghost, Feb 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodyghost

bloodyghost local haunt

As a town co-mayor, me and the mayor have several lower staff members. We occasionally (however rarely) have a town staff member that is banned. This can cause concerns on whether or not this player has engaged in stealing/griefing within the town. Since we want to provide a safe and satisfactory place to live for all of our members, it is inconvenient to not know why a staff member of our town was banned.

I understand that Meepcraft seeks to protect its members from being harassed because of what they did to be banned, but I think this could cause even more issues and could cause repeat offences if a player stays in a staff position because the town owners have no idea of this player's intentions/reputation.

I suggest that comayors and mayors (perhaps even only mayors) of towns can know at least whether or not a member was banned for griefing/stealing within the town.
    In my opinion, this would still protect members but also give a helpful heads up to town mayors/comayors

2. MrTillage

MrTillage Popular Meeper

+1 - As a staff member of Peachstreet who works under @bloodyghost, it seems to me as though this could be quite beneficial. I appreciate the fact that you provided your concerns for the privacy of other meep players (banned) but still want the best for active members of your town.

3. Muunkee

Muunkee Legendary art supply hoarder

Or ask them yourself

this leads to leaks, harassment, the whole lot
    basically - get trustworthy staff

Vexmae likes this.
  4. Vexmae

Vexmae Royal-Tea Staff Member Mod Media

I'd +1 this other than the fact that if theyre a town staff they should be trusted already, if staff members are banned for these reasons then it's obvious theyre not fit for the town staff role. make sure you get to trust the players, before you add them as a staff. cause honestly, to keep a healthy community for a town you need functioning staff. if they are a town staff I think they should know how to act like one. @Muunkee is right. there is no need for this if there are trustworthy staff in the town.

5. MrTillage

MrTillage Popular Meeper

@Muunkee do you have any proposed methods to make sure you hire trustworthy staff? As Bloddy had mentioned, even if you ask, someone could be a repeat offender and the mayors would have no idea. Also many mayors who are new to meepcraft and want to establish a town can be harmed by hiring untrustworthy players without knowing the community.

I totally agree with you though that you can't stop people from being jerks and harassing others due to their ban, hence why there is something in place to prevent that. Would really love if you had some suggestions that was more than just "get trustworthy staff."

metr0n0me and Toostenheimer like this.
  6. Muunkee

Muunkee Legendary art supply hoarder

Towns are not overly difficult to run when you're smart. Find friends. If you don't know them, start them as recruiter

IMO if I had town staff and they got banned for harassment, I'd demote them just the same as if they stole stuff. *shrug*

MrTillage likes this.
  7. MrTillage

MrTillage Popular Meeper

Just wanted to be clear that the ban is unknown and the reason it can't be shared is the fear of other players harassing the previously banned member. Not that the player was banned for harassment. Really appreciate your feedback though!

8. Tmuet

Tmuet Popular Meeper

As @Muunkee and @Vexmae stated ensure that town staff is trustworth. If in the case of a town staff member being banned, immediately demote them within the town to be on the safe side until after the ban appeal has been submitted on the forums, and you can read what they were banned for. Then town majors can make the decision on whether to put them back into a position of power in the town.

for now, i have to -1 this.

Vexmae likes this.
  9. WeAreNumberUno

WeAreNumberUno Celebrity Meeper

-1, don't give perms to Minecraft youtubers.

10. ENIbeast

ENIbeast Popular Meeper

This would lead to A LOT of harassment because those mayors may not be the nicest and may share it to all of Meep. That player would get a lot of harassment. Also, I see no need for this because we have survived 5 years without it and I don't think it will make much of a difference.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  11. WhoNeedsJimbo

WhoNeedsJimbo Popular Meeper

CANT TAKE ANY RISKS GOTTA KEEP INFURMATION SAYFE

EllieEllie likes this.
  12. CasualNuker

CasualNuker Celebrity Meeper

When I asked in alpha what. Co-mayor had been banned for they said can't tell staff chat so my vote +1

13. Kling

Kling Break blocks not hearts

Yeah nah nah -1 talk to the banned player once they are unbanned.

EllieEllie likes this.
  14. Courtneyyy

Courtneyyy Admin Princess Staff Member Helper Media Elder

9/10 they make a ban appeal and you can see what they did there and ban appeals aren't secret go through them if you wanna know really bad lol

Toostenheimer and Pmx728 like this.
  15. xT3Kx

xT3Kx Retired AF Elder

I don't see an issue as long the mayor/comayor asks us and was related to theft/grief of the town. Any unrelated bans should be private otherwise.

16. bloodyghost

bloodyghost local haunt

People don't always admit what they did, you know, and you dont have to appeal for like a 12 hour or one day ban

17. Deljikho

Deljikho Lazy Swami

Just so you know, every ban used to be made public at the time the ban was issued, up until ~2 years ago.

Courtneyyy and metr0n0me like this.
  18. Natsu

Natsu Celebrity Meeper

We've had this too but if it's a temp ban you can talk to the person once they are unbanned and if it's a perm ban you really shouldn't know.

You can use other communication options to contact your town staff.

Grief bans are almost always handled by upper town staff anyway.

19. bloodyghost

bloodyghost local haunt

Even when you put in your best effort in selecting staff, they can still be banned, for example toxicity, which could have nothing to do with griefing/stealing. The problem is, you have no way of knowing whether or not they were banned for a town related issue or not.

20. ENIbeast

ENIbeast Popular Meeper

Another thing, if this ban is related to griefing or anything town related then the ban should be permanent. For this reason, this is not needed. If it is anything the mayor should know they wouldn't be able to come back and do it again. If it is temp you can just talk to them after.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.