1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Karistar86's Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by KariStar86, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KariStar86

KariStar86 Heroine of Time

In Game Name: KariStar86
    Teamspeak Username: KariStar86
    Mic use: Yes
    Timezone: Eastern (USA)
    Hours online per weekday: 1-3
    Hours online per weekend: 2-6
    Position Changes: Helper to Moderator

Introduction:
    Hi there! I'm KariStar86, and I'm a Helper here on MeepCraft and mayor of the town Kakariko in Alpha. I started playing Minecraft in January of this year, and in early February I joined MeepCraft. I came for Towny and stayed for the community! In late June, I became a Helper, and I love being a part of the staff team here. I'm excited for the future of this server and would love to become even more involved in helping it as a Moderator.

As for my life outside the computer box... For a few years I worked as a newspaper reporter, and for the past several months I have been writing for a nonprofit. In my spare time, when I'm not playing Minecraft, I do yoga and volunteer at a local animal shelter. My husband and I have two pet birds, a cockatiel and a parrotlet, which you probably know if you've ever talked to me on TeamSpeak. :p

Why you should be Mod:
    I have learned a lot in these past five weeks since becoming a Helper! I started out knowing almost nothing about Hawkeye and staff commands, and even after training, it took me a little while to feel comfortable with them. But since then, I've built my confidence while handling almost all basic types of modreqs and bans. I've helped new players find their way around the server, helped new mayors start their towns, done troubleshooting when players come across a glitch, and stepped in to mediate when players are fighting. I have also responded to cases of griefing and theft (in both Towny and Skyblock), luring and tpakilling, trespassing, and illegal kicking of residents (they worked it out). It can be hard work, but it's also very rewarding when I figure out the missing piece of a puzzle, or when I know that I've made someone's experience on the server even a little bit better.

I ask a lot of questions... probably too many, sometimes. ;) I want to make sure I'm getting it right, because some things can be confusing, and it's better to double-check than to make a wrong ban or mess up an investigation. The Mods and SuperMods have been incredibly helpful and patient with me! Lately, I find myself answering more questions from other staff than I ask of them. This shows that I've gained the knowledge and experience to start guiding new Helpers myself, and I want to be a more consistent resource and leader for them as a Moderator.

I also would love to be able to take a more direct role on the forums, make sure that our community members get help as quickly as possible, and continue to encourage positive and productive discussions. I'm quick to notify staff on Skype when something needs to be deleted or addressed. As a Moderator, I could lend a hand and take care of some of these issues myself. In-game, I do enjoy answering modreqs and helping people out, but also I look forward to taking on more of a moderation role to help protect the server and its players.

My in-game time is a bit limited, especially on weekdays. Knowing that I need to watch how I manage my time, I try to spend as much of it as possible doing staff work. Whether it's replying to modreqs, investigating cases, answering people's questions, or just keeping a close eye on chat, I make sure that my first priority is the server and the players on it. But that doesn't mean that I've disappeared behind the curtain! I still try as much as possible to help my town residents, stay active in shout, be part of the community on the forums, and talk both in and out of the staff channels in TeamSpeak.

I make sure to listen to the community and pass along what I hear, because I want to help players have a voice in this server - no matter their rank or position. I am also very active in the staff Skype chats, and I make an effort to get to know the other staff members, learn all I can from them, and contribute ideas whenever I feel it would help. I'm happy to talk with other players on Skype, too - to help them solve problems or just to say "hi"!

Weaknesses:
    It's probably not a surprise that I'm still argumentative and opinionated! I'm continuing to work on thinking more about how I come across, making sure that I am kind and don't push things too far, listening to others carefully, and addressing concerns in the appropriate manner. I have made sure to keep my disagreements with staff members among staff, and I think some of those have turned into pretty good discussions that helped us understand each other. :)

Some of the larger griefing cases I've taken on have frustrated me - mostly because they take more work than I expect, and I start to wonder if I'm just not doing it right. After a while, I realized that I'm not the only staff member who has had these frustrations. The good news is that we're a team, and we don't hesitate to help each other out - doing extra modreqs to cover for someone who is busy, trying out different commands and searches, taking screenshots and videos, or talking to different players to figure out what happened. Other staff members have helped me out this way, and I'm glad to return the favor when I can! I do believe that I'm ready to take on the challenge of more complicated cases and investigations.

I have yet to handle a case of X-ray, glitch exploitation, or PvP hacking. I feel confident in my ability to identify at least some examples of the first two. In a few cases, I have begun investigating only to find that others have gotten to them first! But I admit that spotting PvP hackers is a weakness of mine. I have tried to check out reports in KitPvP, but I'm still learning what to look for and record. I do want to be able to help with these cases, so I plan to continue learning about this and making efforts to investigate when I can.

Conclusion:
    I believe I am ready for the Moderator position and the additional responsibility it brings. I'm looking forward to learning even more while leading the community and other staff! Thanks for reading, and any feedback you have - whether positive comments or constructive criticism - is welcome and appreciated. :)

2. MCRichHuey

MCRichHuey Celebrity Meeper

+1000

I approve of Kari, she's a great helper, and would make an awesome mod. She's kind, sweet, and helpful, even to the jerks who don't deserve it.:)

SirCallow, Draqq, Bob4444444 and 2 others like this.
  3. RossCoombs

RossCoombs Popular Meeper

+1
    :)
    You really deserve to become a Mod, you've shown to be a very good helper so far.

KariStar86 likes this.
  4. Muunkee

Muunkee Legendary art supply hoarder

I didn't know you were 28 o_O

+1. I don't need a reason but....Overqualified, amazing, active, amazing, has an awesome voice, amazing, and is also amazing.

KariStar86 likes this.
  5. kdocherty7

kdocherty7 Guest

+1 I really wanted you to apply, one of the best staff members.

KariStar86 and _Chef_Carrott_ like this.
  6. _Chef_Carrott_

_Chef_Carrott_ Popular Meeper

+1 WHY SHOULD I EVEN EXPLAIN!

KariStar86 likes this.
  7. blackoak999

blackoak999 Popular Meeper

+1 x3
    Kind
    Even-tempered
    Mature
    Works hard

My first experience with KariStar86 was getting horses I was owed by the prior mayor of her town, even though it was her town at that point. She was very patient and honorable, where many would not have been.

KariStar is clearly one of the most upbeat and nice helpers at this time.

She would make a great Moderator.

KariStar86 and jmelara like this.
  8. jmelara

jmelara Popular Meeper

+1 you are one of the best staff members!

blackoak999 and KariStar86 like this.
  9. The_Squirrelman

The_Squirrelman Popular Meeper

Kari, you're a great, mature, and friendly staff member. I think you'd do wonderfully as mod. My full support, and best wishes. +1

Serphina91 and KariStar86 like this.
  10. CyborgZeroX

CyborgZeroX -=Retired Staff Member=- Elder

+1 great staff member and works great with others.

I still think that having back up is a great idea.

KariStar86 likes this.
  11. Cookies713

Cookies713 Celebrity Meeper

*bouncing up and down in excitement*
    yes
    yes
    yes
    yes
    yes
    +1
    all the way!

KariStar86 and jmelara like this.
  12. Bob4444444

Bob4444444 Celebrity Meeper

+.5
    ·Very active
    ·Very helpful
    ·Very nice
    ·Not afraid to do the hard cases
    ·Okay modreq count
    ·Nice app
    ·The only reason I gave you a +.5 is because of your arguing. You tend to get very into it and it really bothers me and some other staff members. You really have improved with that since you first got helper. Other than that, You are perfect for the position.

Good luck!

13. iiTzJDL

iiTzJDL Legendary Meeper

why is this not in interview yet.
    +1

Draqq and KariStar86 like this.
  14. Wishingsstar

Wishingsstar Popular Meeper

OMG YES!
    I remember this because remember oak and Kari when Blackoak and I were going to get horses from your town and Oak dared me to put a girl skin on! omg that's when me and kari first met and I didn't even know who she was and I was a no rank that the time omg yes xD but anyways kari now that we are really great friends on teamspeak and ingame I think you would be an amazing moderator, and you are my all time favorite helper and I think you are really one of my greatest friends on meep because you are really nice, and you are never angry, and you help me through so many things! I think you would be a moderator! I love hanging out with you in teamspeak and I think you are in my top 5 best people in Meepcraft. :)

+1 billion!

<3

-Brandon! :p

KariStar86 likes this.
  15. hippapajo

hippapajo Popular Meeper

Do i even need a reason
    +1

KariStar86 likes this.
  16. ReadingRockstar

ReadingRockstar Popular Meeper

Arguing? She expresses her opinion in a respectful way, and overall is trying to improve the server and staff system.

+1 phenomenal staff member

17. Skaros123

Skaros123 Otaku Wooden Hoe

I don't see what you mean by arguing. It is important for staff members to be voiceful. We can never get anything done if people aren't honest about their opinions. Kari is very respectful about her opinions and isn't afraid to make her voice known. I believe that is a great asset to the team.

Nevertheless, +1. I trust in your abilities and believe you will be a fine mod.

18. nhjed

nhjed Celebrity Meeper

+1 I only came here for the like tbh

why do people like kari have to apply anyway

interdesirename and KariStar86 like this.
  19. LexKristen

LexKristen Celebrity Meeper

+1
    Kari, you're a really great person and staff member from what I have personally seen :) I'm sure you make many people feel welcomed into the Meep community. I believe you are definitely ready.
    As a side note:
    Since you are having some troubles with identifying KitPvp hackers I would honestly recommend scrolling through the reported bans and looking at the proof that others have posted for their Pvp hack bans just to get a general idea. Also, Flamedemond2 helped me a bunch with this stuff related to PvP hacks. He's a great person to speak to if you're still having troubles with identifying them:)

20. Flamedemond2

Flamedemond2 Highly flammable

Lying on your app. You are 40. -1

Jk +1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.