1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

If there is ever a time to lay all the cards down on the table, it is now.

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Jwarian, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Jwarian

Jwarian Celebrity Meeper

Edit: This post is now 64 days old and I am so depressed at how prophetic it was. In retrospect, why do I perceive so much “virtue signaling” in the replies? Is it just me?

TL ; DR - I am sad.

Given how many times I have seen posts like these I am very tempted to just delete this and give up like I did in the past. If you have something to add, please do so, trolling or not. The opinions of those who read this are the most important for THEY are the veterans and the loyalists.

The rhetoric discussing the current state of this server should be addressed sooner rather than later. The current trajectory is bleak and it needs to change. Someone needs to step forward and show leadership by providing us a vision for Meepcrafts’ future while at the same time actually acknowledging mistakes made in the past to foster trust with what is left of the community.

Stop deleting opinions you dislike on discord and address them instead. If you can’t develop a reasonable response that others will blatantly agree with, perhaps the person talking is onto a subject that actually merits time and thought. If they are a moron, the response should be a no-brainer, supposing it even needs a response.

Deleting messages on the other hand undermines staff as a whole as it serves to validate claims of bias, favoritism, and hypocritical censorship. That whole deletion of “trailing dislikes” a few weeks back is a great example. It can also be taken as evidence that some are well aware of the reality, are upset by it, but then decide to pretend it isn’t an issue, fabricate another reality, and feed it to us as the truth. It is unfair to the hardworking staff that actually put in the effort to operate appropriately and according to the actual stated rules. People notice, it affects the community negatively, you should do better.

It is quite unsettling to see assumptions, affirmations, and lazy excuses nonchalantly handed down and parroted as facts. A great example being “it’s finals week” in response to the player count hovering in single digits.

Why not survey the community? Topics like: their feelings about staff, why they quit, or what needs to change. Simply asking seems to be a logical thing to do when addressing the exodus of the community…
    Also when I say "the community" I don't mean a town hall meeting on discord, that is a very specific subset of players that in no way accurately represents the community as a whole. Too much damage may have been done to accomplish this now but trying is certainly the better option.

So far we've got a single survey about the tutorial that didn’t even have proper words in the available responses. Invaluable or Valuable? Who honestly expected to get meaningful feedback from that survey? So many new players who have a bad experience will never fill it out because they are either gone or will never make a forum account. You are sitting on a data set made up of veteran players’ opinions about the “new” player experience… TF? I couldn't even fill out that survey, not just because of the grammar issues but because I don't remember what issues I had "starting off" seven years ago...

Saying “it will be better soon” without providing concrete details is no better than an airline pilot telling you to use the oxygen mask as you fall like a brick into the mountainside. We have windows.

This isn’t a multi-million dollar game company, there need not be secret projects, it might sound awesome to those working on them but to me it is just more of the same rhetoric with a bit of staff elitism thrown in.

The projects are for the community yet you leave them in the dark until the very last moment and rarely consult them about said projects? Seems a bit backwards to be honest. Had people known that hundreds of hours of work would go into extreme only for it to be left to decay three months later with no acknowledgement of the mistakes made, I am sure they would have voted the effort to go elsewhere.

I imagine the reason so many “projects” are kept secret is because the administrators don’t wish to be hassled about timelines and held accountable for broken promises. I submit that that is the problem in itself. Those making the decisions need to take accountability for their actions and mistakes. They also need to be transparent about them. It would be a lot healthier to tell the community why something is behind or shelved than to leave them in the dark for months while leading them with a carrot on a stick.

Players need to know the server is on a path and what the path looks like. That means solid information and timetables. If this isn’t provided then players and the community become hopeless. Sound familiar?

The lack of players isn’t a result of skyblock spawners existing or not existing nor is it based on the quality of the jobs plugin. “Revamping” the tutorial or adding a parkour map won’t do anything to retain players either. If you honestly think that player count is tied to such specific aspects of the server than you have your head deep in the sand.

Long term, players log on because they look forward to playing with friends and participating in what they perceive to be a great community. That community needs to be nurtured, cared for, and respected. Players need to feel that the people making decisions value the community and the prosperity of the server more than personal image and pride. I hate how much this mirrors American politics at the moment, it is sad that the two are comparable.

The player count had grown during the launch of extreme because people either heard or got a glimpse of the community starting to blossom again and they wanted to join in. After all, nearly all of us do want to see it blossom again, very much so.

Unfortunately, this time around the blossom was watered with Brawndo.

As has happened in the past, pride, bias, lies, special treatment, vague rules, and inconsistent management/moderation lead to large core chunks of the community leaving, which in turn discouraged others from logging on for any sustained period of time.

Only a select few people enjoy playing Meepcraft alone and if at all possible they should not be tasked with solely deciding its future as their perspective is typically incompatible with the idea “community focused”.

I implore you(administrators) to take a step back and rethink several things and try to extract some wisdom from the Extreme launch, KitPvP and the subsequent events before you just drop more things into Meepcraft. Simply adding skyblock won’t do anything if you don’t address the systemic issues at the top first. It will only result in another few years of the staff team wasting their real lives putting bandaids over broken legs.

It really won’t make a difference how much effort the staff team puts into specific projects if leadership continues the pattern of ignoring, silencing, mistreating, lying, disrespecting, misinforming, and failing to care for the single most important aspect of the server: the community.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  2. Meznik

Meznik Celebrity Meeper

This is the best line out of this entire thing. Bravo

3. M0W0G

M0W0G Celebrity Meeper

Of course I have not truly played MeepCraft in quite some time so I don't understand all of the internal issues involving staff going on.
    However, I put extensive hours into the server through 2015-2017 so I am definitely aware of the old state of things. I also believe there is another barrier that stops new people from joining such a small server (small now, years ago when we had 100-200 it was what I consider large for such a tight knit community).

That barrier is that the server is simply too overwhelming for such a small player count. I made a new minecraft account a few weeks ago and joined the server (my old one was hacked) and played the tutorial and went to spawn, I adventured around to look at all the new things and was extremely overwhelmed. Within 10-20 minutes, I logged off. I wasn't unmotivated or looking to chase nostalgia, I had actually been waiting eagerly all day to log on in the first time in forever.

If I was a new player walking into the server for the first time I would leave in the first 5 minutes because the server environment doesn't match the player count (i hope that makes sense). What I mean by this is that the spawn is gigantic (it looks amazing) but it is extremely vast and unpopulated by players. Massive spawns work for servers with large player counts but when I log into MeepCraft it makes the server look even more dead.

This second part is perhaps more of a theory and might sound like I don't understand the server anymore but I believe it plays a key role in the lack of new players. There are just too many options and main activities for such a low player count. I'm not talking about kitpvp or boomo or the things like that. I'm talking about all the different towny worlds. In theory, it sounds like it divides the already small community and greatly overwhelms and divides new players.

Conclusion / downsizing / fix
    I think the two most necessary things to ensure new players stay on longer than 10 minutes is to make the spawn much smaller than it currently is. Secondly I think meepcraft should remove all but one of the towny worlds to ensure current players are all focusing on one thing at a time. Maybe that means resetting everything? Creating an entirely new server all together? Having an insane overhaul? The way I see it is that the server is built for a massive player base when I rarely see it above 15 players. New players can't use half of the current features because they require others to play with, so why even have them in the first place? And I know countless hours have gone into all the big features that exist and it would feel like a waste to temporarily disable them but why spend time on big projects and features for no one to play them at all. If / when the server gets up to a much higher count (100-150 players) then we can re enable all the features that boost the server. But as of now these big features seem to hurt the servers growth.

------
    Maybe this all sounds moronic and illogical to people who still play, but as a current outsider who frequented the server many years ago this is what I've thought about meepcraft for years. Please feel free to correct me or tell me why this wouldn't work. I know I can't grasp the full current state of the server.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 28, 2020, Original Post Date: Jun 28, 2020 ---
    Additional
    If the server was restarted with a smaller spawn / not as many features, a good way to claw back players who were once here and have quit would be to schedule the 're release' of meepcraft. This schedule serves to make people aware and write down the date while also helping to reintegrate old players. These old players who have taken time off the server might feel like they are no longer apart of the newer community, this chance for everyone to start at the same time could help them to meet all the newer players. If they no longer feel outside of the loop they are much more likely to log back on.

4. Peero

Peero Celebrity Meeper

Honestly feel like you hit the nail on the head here. Before revamp, we were such a small and tight-knit community that it was both shocking and kinda hurtful that revamp was being done with basically no input from the most active, dedicated, and knowledgeable members on the server. Look, I get that just because you play a lot and are "good" at the game, doesn't mean you deserve input. That's absolutely true. What's also true is that if we were told more details about Extreme before it came out, we all would have said it wouldn't work.

The player base wasn't competitive and large enough to support it, so the goal of revamp was to attract all the older players to return, and retain new ones. All done at the expense of those of us playing right before revamp. And that's a major problem. For example, myself and a small group of people were online every single day, were all crushing it on baltop, had massive builds and projects, and knew almost every player-side command. We were probably the most knowledgeable non-staff members of the server in its current state. I, personally, also knew just about every active member at that time. So one would think when a massive, server-changing update was planned, that could be the difference between the end and the revival of said server, we would have been consulted maybe a little bit. Instead, all decisions seemed to stay within the staff team, and only said staff team were involved in it. I know several people who were ex-staff and quit the server months before revamp came out who knew more about the update than me, a player who had played pretty seriously for a good while. Maybe I sound a little self-entitled here, but I truly feel like my input and other players' inputs should have been valued much higher and actually just taken into consideration at all. So many ideas that were implemented and failed could have easily been either fixed or voided altogether if they had just asked people other than staff. Newsflash, just because you're a staff member, doesn't mean you know what's best for the server. Staff members are chosen for their kindness, helpfulness, activity. Yea, server knowledge is considered, but I've seen plenty of people become staff with just a few months of experience. Compare that against the 6 years I have, plus the even longer many other players have played for, and you see that being staff doesn't make you an expert. This isn't an insult to staff, it's just a fact.

It feels as though this revamp was done under the pretense that staff knew what they were doing and that player input wasn't needed. And I absolutely have no idea why this was a thing. And after high staff realized player input could actually help, it was too late. Players were asked of their opinions only after the problems arose, instead of before, when they could have outright prevented it. Town halls are useless if people feel like their opinions aren't valid.

And to mention the "staff elitism," it sounds dumb but it's actually so prevalent. As I mentioned above, being staff does not make you any better a player or person. Take me for example. I feel like I am pretty qualified to be a staff member, but I don't have the personality for it. I'm not as cheerful and helpful as them, mostly because I just don't find that fulfilling. So I don't strive to be one, because I don't want to be one. Does that mean other players who do strive to be staff are better than me? Does that mean that they deserve to have more knowledge about upcoming server updates when they play less than half as much? No - it doesn't. All it means is that they want to help other people. So why is it that many of them feel like they are above me, or have to act like they hold some big secret that I can't know until its public? It's very annoying to play a server when someone who is staff is constantly bragging about how much more they know than you because high staff decided they get information.

All players want is clarity. That's all we've ever wanted. But it seems like this is never learned. After every big fiasco that could have been prevented by simply consulting players, said players are never consulted. Just ask for our opinions, and actually take them to heart. No, not everyone's opinion will be what's best for the server. But I think the server's small enough now where high staff know who's opinions would be valid and who actually could help. Ignore the random whiners and consult the actual players. For a community-based server, there seems to be little respect for the community.

BooBear1227, riri30, Natsu and 11 others like this.
  5. Jwarian

Jwarian Celebrity Meeper

Both of these replies mirror my own views so much. I appreciate the time you took to offer your useful and valid opinions, I can only type so much before I begin to feel I am speaking too much for myself only.

I only hope that this thread will be left up long enough for more players to chime in. Lest we have some quippy interjection...

6. cooey

cooey Legendary Meeper

These problems were so prevalent in extreme. Now, I was probably not the best person to have been giving feedback at the time, as half of what I say is really stupid. However, I was trying to give genuine feedback at the start of extreme's launch. I had heard about extreme and so was playing meepcraft a few days before the revamp was launched. Immediately I disliked the revamp. I made this incredibly clear, and probably way too clear. I participated in plenty of conversations with other players who had the same views I did in the global chat, but these things never really had any effect. Every time a new dungeon was launched I complained about the new dungeon - to me they just weren't interesting. At all. It was draining resources. I made a pathetic attempt at trying to communicate my feelings by making suggestions here on forums. What I thought we really needed was a non-extreme reset. That would have been more enjoyable in my opinion. However, probably because of the stupidity of my suggestion (it was probably like 3 sentences, tops), this was denied. I would have appreciated if someone would have reached out to me, but I also acknowledge that I REALLY should have communicated my thoughts better.

I think my views on extreme represented a large portion of the community who had logged back on. I think the only reason it lasted so long was the enjoyable experiences people had linking up with past friends and teammates. No real large tasks were performed, towny war never came to fruition, and the extreme playerbase fell apart. Even after it fell apart, it probably could have been maintained in the normal world, but I got bored quickly. Probably because Peero was so so so far ahead of everyone else (no hate to him), and in an economy server, you need to have more room than that. Once you've exhausted the enjoyment from just playing minecraft, an economy allows you to have another goal to strive for.

This is just my personal feelings, but I think that staff knew, to some extent, what they were getting into. That extreme was a partial attempt at reviving the server - one last hurrah, if you will. I've managed to maintain some of the feeling of starting out, playing with a lot of my friends from meepcraft - just us having fun playing minecraft again. I know that if staff did reach out, I would provide feedback the best I can, although it would be incredibly blunt, I feel the staff need that every now and again. My guess is that the staff team is just too supportive, I didn't see any people in the staff team that disagreed with how extreme was turning out, surely there had to be a few that had their opinions, just didn't want to voice them. Oh well, I don't have any insider knowledge.

Yeah, I agree with you guys. I dont know if its too far gone. People said years ago meep was on "its last legs" and it made it through. I would like to push for just a general reset. Nothing "extreme" (although extreme hardly held up to its name). Thanks for reading my incoherent thoughts on the situation.

7. Tigressnerd

Tigressnerd Celebrity Meeper

Well written, all of you. I definitely would love to see meepcraft be the community it used to be, that's the best part. I applaud the work of the staff who are genuine and put work into this server just for the love of it. I hope things work out for the best here.

8. EnergyAssassin

EnergyAssassin nerd Staff Member Administrator

I’d like to just say we’re working on 1.16! It’s my highest priority (personally). There’s tons of plugins that need to update, including lots of customs ones. Besides that, check out this script I just made for world upgrades: jackstrosahl/minecraft-world-upgrader
    We could always use more Techs by the way...join ComDev ;).

9. CluelessKlutz

CluelessKlutz Badmin

I’d like to thank you all for taking your time to properly write out the ideas and concerns expressed here. Sometimes we hit the nail on the head, sometimes we don’t. I fully admit I’ve made plenty of mistakes, but I am fully willing to accept responsibility for those and work to do better. A common misconception I see is the idea the staff team as a whole simply ignores our own mistakes and criticism thrown our way. The simple fact is there is usually very little benefit in making some big announcement that “this was a disaster,” but instead is often acknowledged much more if you would simply approach Lord, qaz, or myself directly. We’re not aliens and we’re not blind, so if there’s an obvious issue, chances are we’ve already seen it and are fully willing to hear you out.

In terms of deletion, 90% of the time messages are deleted it is the same exact content that has been posted as spam which no message, no conversation, no reasoning, no amount of work will ever change their mind. Instead we’ve found constantly being beaten over the head with negative messaging which discourages people from playing. In the case of something like “it’s finals week,” this was completely true in the fact around half our staff team was inactive for that period of time purely because of finals. However we acknowledge this was used for far too long and merely served as a temporary excuse. As a team we have already begun deploying surveys out to collect more community feedback. The one for the tutorial is our first attempt at that and I’m sure we will be able to use your perspective on that to better tailor the questions and responses of future surveys.

We do not publish timetables or expected dates simply because the fact is we are an all volunteer staff team. As you said yourself, we are not a multi-million dollar development studio. We are all very busy both in and outside of Minecraft and putting things on a schedule creates an unrealistic demand on our staff members and the time they should be required to put in. The majority of us are university students and/or already have careers or other employment of some kind, so while I’m perfectly willing to say some of the things I am currently working on, I do not like stating when things will be done because I would rather let things release when they’re ready than to try and push a deadline. We found this out with the revamp as it was originally set for January however college classes took over my entire life and prevented it from being finished. This created an unrealistic expectation on everyone to get it out as soon as possible and the bugs and lack of polish the first season of Extreme released as was the result.

As sort of the main person behind Extreme, I completely admit a majority of the issues were my own fault and we have already implemented a number of changes to do better. I knew going in this wasn’t going to be a gamemode for everyone and I even warned people of such. I considered it highly experimental to begin with due to how different it was from the traditional towny setup we have had. I’ve been able to listen to a lot of the feedback on the first season and have enormous plans to polish and refine the ideas further and I will definitely be collecting a lot more community feedback prior to launch as well as deploying a beta version where nothing is saved for anyone to try out. One of the first changes we’ve made internally as a staff team going forward is subjecting all upcoming releases to a change control system to allow for proper testing and review before official releases.

So the biggest question going forward is, what next? Right now it will be much smaller scale updates which focus on building a core foundation of available gameplay to fall back on for players to have at their disposal while the large scale projects such as Extreme Season 2 are being worked on. The core focus on gameplay for now is intended as a way to create a solid base for players to enjoy doing things either alone or with their friends. This allows us to have said content already available when the next large scale update is ready to deploy which normally brings people back. One of the major decisions we made that is currently being worked on is the update to Minecraft 1.16. As of right now, we are still playing in Minecraft 1.12.2, using a server four major versions behind the latest severely limits us in terms of gameplay and features. Surveys as well as open betas/test worlds are going to be used far more prevalently going forward to garner feedback and make the necessary changes to gamemodes and features.

So I would very kindly ask that everyone be patient and be open on what you think of specific things. Just last week we met with @Viperfan and @Katronica to discuss their own concerns with the server as a high staff team and I would hope they have their own input on this as well. As many of you already know, I am consistently present in-game, on forums, and on Discord to respond to things as soon as I possibly can, and that applies to the other high staff as well. In closing, I would like to promise that we are working on listening, we are changing, and we are already working as hard as we possibly can to make things right.

10. Adrian

Adrian Epic Staff Member Administrator

This definitely reflects what I have personally seen while AFKing in spawn. A lot of people join and see a massive build, and see that no one is online in spawn. They normally walk around spawn for a couple of minutes then leave. Thinking the players felt lost and not sure where to do (the spawn point faced towards the exit of the spawn building and away from the portals). Once this change was made it helped alot although there we're still a couple of players who would wander around and leave without joining a portal.

When initially coming up with the idea for spawn we wanted to reuse the 2015 spawn and add onto it. The intention was to make it a cool place to explore and while it is, it causes for players to feel overwhelmed.

Perhaps, although at the current moment it doesn't seem to be worth the effort to create a whole new spawn, making a new spawn takes months of work from the whole team. Instead a shorter term, more viable option could be to create a room that you are teleported to upon the completion of tutorial which has all of the portals and any other things that are needed for new players. Perhaps in this spawn room when any citizen runs /spawn they get teleported to this room (This would work sort of like donor spawn, so /warp spawn is still available). How would you feel about something like this?

When the time comes to create a new spawn, we definitely will keep this in mind though!

Personally for me, the dungeons progressively became less fun. While the quality of each dungeon when up throughout the season it felt as if the same dungeon was just being re-textured with different mobs and a quest. The concept remained the same and therefore it became boring. I don't mean to speak for others but I think a lot of people feel the same. During the first week of Extreme, I remember the excitement of completing the first dungeon with the rest of Legion. Then later crafting the Advanced Crafting Table and discovering the Crypt. With each dungeon release myself and those around me felt less exited for each dungeon. Apart from the custom recipes we felt as if nothing much else was being added.

Looking back I think making less dungeons (~4 dungeons to be specific) would have been a better idea. These 4 dungeons would have more content then the current dungeons. Additionally I think dungeons would have been alot more fun if each dungeon had its own clear purpose. For example Jungle could have had two quests in it and the crypt to grind money. While mountain could have had mine where you mine ores while mobs attack you and it resets after a certain amount of time (sort of like prison server?). And ocean could have been a little bit like airship, where it is only open for ~10 minutes every hour or so and you have to run and loot chests. These would have made dungeons more repayable as well. What do you guys think about something like this? Do you guys feel that it would have helped much?

11. Viperfan

Viperfan Celebrity Meeper Staff Member Game Designer

I love this

My two cents on this I suppose would be that I loved the idea of extreme and everything about it, but the execution fell flat on its face. It's been mentioned before that before the revamp Meepcraft was like a family community, and I 100% agree to this. Before the revamp, everyone knew each other and everyone was friends, it was a very close centered community for about a year or so and I enjoyed that, steadily every day before the revamp people were coming back that haven't played in years because of the excitement for this revival of the server. I've gotten to speak to so many old friends that I never thought I would communicate with again in these past few months, and I'm thankful for that. The revamp was hyped up so much to be this huge revival to a dead server, but it unfortunately didn't live up to that hype. The day it came out and everyone was anxious to play, I was filled with excitement to have the chance to play on the server that's been in my life for a lot of my childhood with all the people that I knew back then, but talking to them again with an older state of mind. The first month of revamp was like reliving the days of 2014 and 15, it was fun and I enjoyed getting on everyday to play, but then the issues arrived. With revamp, so many things were promised but never happened which is what I believe was the biggest issue. Towny war, weekly dungeons, etc. I understand that these arguments could be debunked by Towny war required a nation, but since it wasn't even implemented, there was no desire to create a nation. Even now, even if there was a nation created, towny war still isn't a thing. I heard that the dungeons take dozens of hours to be worked on, and so it takes them so long to be released, but you would think taking all of this time to work on the revamp dungeons would've been done before the revamp came out, and not work on them during the time of extreme already being released. The dungeons are a fantastic addition to extreme, it just feels like alot of them were rushed due to the crunch of time. There was also tons of issues regarding bugs, It took over 3 months for the /tfly bug to even get fixed due to the demand of players saying it should be fixed, and other bugs which I believe still haven't even been touched. I remember I'd find these new bugs and tell someone about it, but nothing would be done regarding it which I understand people may be busy or whatnot with real life things but you would think it would get some attention after a couple of months, Extreme was a basis of a PvP world but you couldn't even fight people inside of towns due to you'd hit someone and when they get low they just fly away, adding insult to injury there was another bug where while inside of your town you always have full hunger and full saturation, and so 1.12 has this mechanic where when you have these variables like how they were, you regen at the speed similar to a normal golden apple which already made fights not worth it. Personally, I feel like the entire revamp was forced to come out at this time due to the whole quarantine, people being stuck at home and thinking "hey let's play that minecraft server I played on when I was 12", so they tried taking advantage of that by adding these new things but rushing something like this always ends up to it not working in the long run.

The player count of revamp when it was first released grew to be over 100, Meepcraft hasn't had 100 players since like 2016ish and it was really nice at first to see that the server did come back for a bit, the first week or so it averaged at 70-80 players and alot of people believed that Meepcraft really had a shot. Then the issues arose of people seeing all of these missing features and when asking about it, they were just told it would be back "soon". For example, countless people have been told by the staff that ctf, infected, kitpvp, and other minigames would be coming back "soon" but some of them still have yet to even be worked on. Kitpvp did come back, but it felt like it was just a rushed attempt to give players something to tie them over until the other games. Kitpvp was a buggy mess, players accidentally finding out about the diamond armor bug and learning that you could literally stack diamond armor statistics onto the player to make you near invincible, chat being spammed from a number of things regarding the plugin, soup delay, etc. I loved kitpvp to death back in the day when it was good, and I really tried to like this new one, but I couldn't because of how much of a mess it was. Now Kitpvp is gone again to be 'reworked' on so who knows how many months it'll be until that comes back. Terrarium came back recently, but you can't even bring items from the towny world to it so there's no point to that. The people who came back saw these issues, and left because they didn't see the change they'd hoped for in the server that was so nostalgic to them.

The current staff team is an interesting bunch, but I believe they're good people. Just some decisions that have been made are, well, not so good. There was a lot of controversy during the whole time of the server being back from the high staff decisions, and it had a tendency to go too far. The main issues I've seen within decisions is that when the community disagrees, I've seen staff not listen to the community input and just go with what they want to go with. I believe there's a huge disconnect between staff and players, players trying to express what they want in the server but staff going about and doing their own thing. To myself and many others it just appears to be another friend group, but they run the server which is not what I believe a staff team like this should be. In a community server like this, the community should input their ideas and they should be listened to.

This is exactly what I mean, Jwar hit it spot on. Staff keep working on these different aspects on the server but always keeping it hush-hush and not asking for any community input on it which is where the issues arise. Let's say a staff member puts dozens of hours of work into something, releases it, and the community doesn't like it at all, If it stays to not let that work goes to waste, it'll be for nothing because it'll drive players away, Staff need to be open about things and projects before they get released to prevent issues from arising in the community and creating more of a disconnect.

Another issue I see is with the whole revamp - It isn't new-player friendly whatsoever. It feels like revamp was just a way to bring the old people back, and pay no attention to anyone new who would want to join. Let's say a new player joins when the server still had people, everyone already had god sets and whatnot in extreme and a new player wouldn't know all the mechanics and such as like how diamonds are incredibly rare and so when they set up their little starter base they'd just get instantly raided. A new player wouldn't know about the Dynmap, and that you can see literally anyone in the world on the surface so they would just be an open target. If we want to keep the old players, and bring in new ones, it should be done in a way that would make both sides want to stay. I don't think I can name anyone who joined, was new, and actually stayed for more than 2 weeks and enjoyed playing on the server, and that's a pretty big issue. This server doesn't have much advertising as it is, so new players should be something that people would want to make stay, but there's no desire for them to stay. A lot of the time when someone new joins they say in global "where's Hunger Games?" "where's ctf?" "where's tntrun?" and so on, once they learn that these minigames are just coming back 'soon', they leave. Stuff like that is what I see as being pretty big issues.

Myself and Kat did have a talk with the staff about some of these issues and clarification was made from that, but alot of issues still stand and not much looks like it's being done to fix it. To alot of people I come around as just a toxic person but this server was something I've had in my life since I was 11, and now I'm almost 18 so it's been a thing for a pretty big part of my life so it's something I care about to a certain degree and I want the best for it. As of now the revamp wasn't successful, but I believe if the staff actually start listening to the community and making changes that the community wants it could come back like what cooey said. If staff reached out and wanted community input and were genuine about it, the community would give their genuine input. Instead of just releasing these things or causing issues which then causes community backlash, just talk to us about things. Having a staff team that puts forth effort to wanting to work with the community, and does so, is what makes a successful server.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  12. Midnight_Galaxy

Midnight_Galaxy ✧゚・:*Forever Reading *:・゚✧

I just wanted to thank everyone who has commented on this post so far, I really do respect what the community has to say and reach out as much as i can. I try to take point on aspects regarding the community and their feedback. I am going to respond to aspects of this which i feel like i have the knowledge to do so.

Firstly, in regards to this, over the past 4+ years i have been staff, the one thing which i actively have advocated for was better communication, this is both inside the staff team and to the broader community. This is why myself and a fellow staff member decided to work on methods which we can get the feedback we greatly need from the community. Our first method is through the use of the Google forms/surveys. This method is new and we are still learning. As lead on this aspect, i can admit that the communication between the community and decisions regarding the server have been lacking, and something which i am actively working on is improving this. If you have any suggestions and questions regarding this, please contact me.

Projects are not always kept a secret and it is not always the admins which make these decisions. We have various teams and the majority of these are lead by other members of the team. It is up to them what they want to disclose, and YES most of the time, we dont want to share something we are working on and get the communities feedback on it and then it never happens.

As mentioned, this is something which i am working on. Being staff as long as i have, i have noticed a lot internally and externally through talking to many people and all of which i am taking into account with my approach on gaining feedback and making the communication and decision making process clearer with the community.

Yes, some aspects which we keep secret are done so for a reason, there have been many occurrences that i have witnessed where ideas have been hatched and then it came to development but when it came to it actually working, it didn't. What would have happened if we told the community about this idea? People would have gotten their hopes up and then we would have been the "bad guys" because we couldn't actually provide this great idea.
    HOWEVER, i do recognize that once an idea has been approved for development and we know it will work, that we should then reach out to the community and get feedback.

Okay, we had this meeting a few days ago and as mentioned in this meeting, we cannot just pull stuff out our butts instantly, things take a while to develop and implement. You were also asked in the meeting if you had any other issues and that you could contact anyone in regards to it.

I have always worked with the community, as much as i could.

I hope this helps to clear up some confusion regarding the community feedback and communication aspects of the staff teams decision making processes. If anyone has any questions regarding this, please let me know :)

13. Epicdude141

Epicdude141 Celebrity Meeper

So uh as one of maybe two only players from Exegol besides pmx who still even goes on these forums I just wanna chime in from what I saw.

Before the revamp I would log on occasionally essentially to what felt like was a dead server.
    Which is true in a sense. There was a small dedicated "community" if you wish to call it that. I prefer to call it what it was in reality, a friend group. A group of friends keeping alive a minecraft server. People like myself would filter in and out but by in large the vast majority of the 10-20 players online were in fact just a friend group. Just look at almost any staff application filed in that time, besides Nuker it's hard to find someone who wasn't bombarded with +1's from their friends.

In my opinion, the failure of the revamp can be broken down into 2 main points: gameplay and moderation.

To begin, let's start with the gameplay. As mentioned in the reveal post...
    That sounds absolutely awesome, so much so that many old players came back in anticipation for this. Like viperfan said I saw names that I haven't seen since 2012 logging on the server. Old friends and new friends coming together for this. Logging on I met up with some old friends we ran quickly (as best as we could considering the servers crashing, but to no fault of anyone lol) to a remote location to set up our town. We made it underground and tried our best to hide it because of the inevitable pvp and war that was coming. However soon many baffling decisions were made including...
    • Enabling a Dynmap for a war based mode with player locations
    • Having /tfly in towns where pvp was supposed to take place
    • Turning pvp off in towns
    And that's just with pvp itself. That doesn't include other dumb gameplay decisions like
    • Having custom terrain that was an absolute joke
    • Having custom terrain that had godawful ore generation (which led to many people downloading hacked clients, myself included
    Essentially what the gamemode turned into was going to dungeons and trying to build a town up for this long rumored pvp battle that never was going to happen.

That being said, dungeons were an absolute joke. What a complete waste of time for something that absolutely didn't mattered. Instead of pouring all this time flexing worldedit abilities and your sick nasty ability to write code, why not focus on refining gameplay elements like towny war? Not only that, but "advanced crafting" was a waste of time that nobody needed, nobody wanted and only crashed the server.

Speaking of towny war, this was supposed to be the bread and butter of extreme. This is what we were all here for. I couldn't wait to flex my sickhunt pvp ability on these legion hoes with my friends... tnt cannons and all. So why in the hell did you guys make it so only nations could declare war? On top of that, why was it that in a world nations could only declare war were nations absolutely to the tits expensive? Especially in a world where getting money was very difficult to do?

Essentially you could sum up the gameplay failures to: having dumb small decisions, focusing development time and energy in a complete waste of time and completely ignoring and making the main focus of the world totally inaccessible.

"Not everybody was in the world for towny war" That's sick bro, go to normal towny where there isn't towny war.

Okay next up we have moderation.
    Remember this quote?
    And remember how they were all friends? What moderation do you have to do on a close-tight knit server? Almost little to none. So much so that the vast majority of staff who got promoted would 100% not be in a moderation position in a more popular iteration of the server. But they were, and the revamp dropped.

From the beginning it felt like the staff catered to a specific group of players. Many of the rule changes in extreme (no pvp in towns, no building offensive structures outside of towns) were based off Legion in specific. For a lot of us it felt like our input was being straight up ignored but those guys had a fast track to staff's ear, and that's where we get to the first major breaking point for us as players.

When Legendcaleb and VKL got banned for something completely the server's fault, it was like a big slap in the face. I was very frustrated at this and wrote this post. The culmination of the bans and the bias of the staff led my town to write this open letter to the staff. Just a back story, the letter written was co-signed by former admins, moderators and long-time players of meepcraft back when this server was hitting literally 100x the current player base. It's not like we didn't know what it took to run a successful server.

Things simmered down for a while but there always seemed to be that edge. That coupled with the cactus incident led to many discord calls with fuzzlr about specific staff members from our end.

I want to make this bold because it is important. If a number of players have an issue with certain staff members, maybe ask yourself why the players have issues with that staff member instead of consistently just shutting them down. That goes for multiple staff btw.

I think the biggest slap in the face for us was the council of warlords thread. Essentially after being kicked and banned for petty offenses by this "biased" staff, it was announced that if you did have any infractions you would be ineligible for this "council". What an absolute joke.

To sum it up, basically inexperienced staff coupled with new players = favoritism and frustration for a vast majority of players. The others in the thread nailed it perfectly, especially Jwarian.

Peero keeps talking about how this server used to be a small tight-knit community. For the entire time it felt like the vast majority of staff and Legion wanted it to go back to that community. And guess what? It did, with the breaking of trust of a large number of the playerbase towards the staff and the server.
    [​IMG]
    If that's all we are to you guys, then I think we aren't coming back.

14. Viperfan

If an idea gets hatched, goes into development, and then gets turned down, without even involving the community, wouldn't it be more important to ask for the community input on said idea to see if they like it or not, and then the idea to stop development could come up?

I never said you could had to magically make something instantly, I meant the community just wants to see you guys are trying to do things, to add new additions or fix things, but it seems like nothing is being done as of now. I'm sure things are being developed and planned to better the server, but the community doesn't see it and so it adds to one of the reasons as to why the community was driven away

15. Peero

Peero Celebrity Meeper

We all appreciate what staff are doing and we know you all want the best for the server but I feel like you missed a major part of the response. Part of having community feedback is also letting us in on updates more. For example, with the jobs update, the most information we have is that there will be a new jobs slot and some of the formulas will be redone. New jobs slot is exciting for maybe two of us players, being that it'll be presumably harder to get. This makes the new jobs update uninteresting for most players. If we had more info about it maybe more people would be inclined to try it out. Furthermore, you keep mentioning changes to Extreme and stuff, but give no ideas or plans. This is the real source of the problem. Asking for input is fine and dandy but at the end of the day staff take the input and put their own spin on it, as opposed to community ideas. Suggestions are good but wouldn't it be better for everyone if things were added that were good to begin with? For me personally, I'd like to know what is coming in advanced. Think about it like minecraft snapshots: We get the updates before they are actually released, so players can bug test and give their opinions. You mentioned actual beta testing, and while I don't think this is absolutely necessary, being informed of changes prior to their implementation gets people excited and lets them actually know what to expect. That's what I envision. This way if an idea that everyone hates is being considered, it can be stopped before much development is done on it. I think what Jwar is getting at is that since Meep's not a corporation or big gaming company being transparent with updates is actually possible and more beneficial. That's how I see it anyway.
    If I'm being totally honest, I don't see why you guys want the server to go back to how it was. It's different now, and most of you can't seem to accept that. Yes, it is a friend group. Yes, that's what happens when a server grows to less than 20 active players. But, instead of rolling with the tide most of you are trying to get back the old Meep. The old Meep is dead and if we keep going at it like this the new one will be too.

As I've mentioned countless times, those of us who never quit went to Legion because it seemed like fun. Yes, we were probably biased towards because to be completely honest we were far better for the server. We weren't toxic, we weren't annoying, we listened to staff, we knew the rules and what happened when you didn't follow them. So if the staff team seemed to be leaning in our favor, it was for good reason. You can't expect to join back on a server, act polar opposite to its current state, then get all pissy when the staff team doesn't like you. Maybe mature and realize acting like an ass on a minecraft server that a lot of people hold dear to their heart, that raised most of the people on it, that I'm sure even you, yourself, have a sort of bond to, is gonna hurt it. The server was more community-oriented than ever before, so when you come and disrupt it, staff members aren't going to sit there and let it happen.

Don't come back if you're gonna act that way, cause I would much rather see the server die to a lack of players than killed by people who used to love it and log on everyday just like us.

16. Epicdude141

Epicdude141 Celebrity Meeper

Nobody said we wanted it like the old meep back. And nobody is "far better" for the server or not. We are all equal players. This "holier than thou" bullshit attitude doesn't get you anywhere. Just because you play on a dead server for a period of time and are a part of a clique doesn't make you better or worse than any other player on this server. You've already mentioned in a previous post that your definition and our definition of toxic are completely different things, that lapse in definition could arguably sum up the major moderation issues of the server. Have you considered that the staff leaned in your favor not because you were a "better player" but because they were all your friends?

You can't expect to a bunch of people to join back on a server after years and suddenly know this new "state" with all of its rules and nuances and not get frustrated when they get punished for those rules they don't know.

The server wasn't more "community oriented" than before whatever the hell that means. Maybe for you and your 20 friends it was but for the 80+ that joined the server it sure as hell wasn't. The funny thing is that when we first got on the server it wasn't like we were toxic in anyway, the toxicity didn't start till really like mid to late April, that leaves a lot of time of nothing but good gameplay from us.

Maybe mature and realize acting like a high school clique on a minecraft server trying to gatekeep it from players is totally pointless and makes you look like a complete tool.

17. CluelessKlutz

CluelessKlutz Badmin

It's very difficult to detail things like jobs updates because for jobs there's an inherent balancing issue where during development it's constantly changing. During its original development, I had more than 160 working versions of the jobs system using dozens of different systems and mechanics to make the system work. One of the pillars of the current system is the artist job and its endless hunger for clay. If that had been revealed weeks to months ahead of time, people would have hoarded clay and stripped the mesa biomes bare long before it ever launched. Now imagine that changed because for some reason or got moved to a different purpose or didn't pay enough. In that case, you've now wasted your time obtaining a worthless material. Or in the alternative version it comes out exactly like that, there's now no clay left for people who return with the update because the existing players had been stripped it away for months. This is why competitive games don't reveal hardly anything until a very short time before release. I'm totally fine with revealing it all about a week ahead of time when things are finalized.

In regards to extreme, that isn't being shared because it's in a planning phase. As I discussed with Viper and Katronica, we don't wish to promise one thing only to suddenly have it change due to a design choice or a simple incompatibility and disappoint those looking for that exact feature.

qazini and Peero like this.
  18. Jwarian

Jwarian Celebrity Meeper

I appreciate you taking the time to deliver your initial thoughts on this.

I will say that matters pertaining to bias, favoritism, vague rules, special treatment, elitism, and a general lack of transparency do deserve recognition at some point down the road. @_Peero_ made some great observations about some aspects of the favoritism, elitism, and lack of transparency. I understand why you left the subject alone, as the issues are not simple to address and require a thorough examination of the server policies, the accompanying enforcement as well as the general behavior and culture of those who are chosen to represent the server. I would not have interpreted an immediate reply on this subject as proper acknowledgment anyhow rather I would have seen it as a damage control response.

Needless to say there are a lot of players scorn and I do think the current moderation format is in disarray making it difficult for lower level volunteers to do their job. Sometimes leading to inaction either for fear of retaliation or due to a general lack of clear standards. An example being the failure to define and enforce PG-13 chat fairly.

There was an excellent point made by @cooey about volunteers being “too supportive.” I would submit the idea that the current culture might be discouraging volunteers from speaking out about said issues perhaps for fear of not being promoted, being excluded from projects, not wanting to draw attention, “make waves”, or as a result of general character traits inherent to the “volunteer personality”. The latter cases requiring tactful leadership to encourage people to offer their true opinions because they are valuable.

Most of these issues can be found by simply reading through previous discord and forum complaints and I won’t bother pointing out specific incidents because as you stated, you aren’t blind. More could be gleaned from a survey as you referenced anyhow.

I do think it may be beneficial if your vision and long term goals for this server were shared in a more detailed and structured form. Perhaps something that can be posted to the front page of the website and pushed to the inactive people via the gigantic email list. It may also be an effective way to drive substantial traffic to a newly crafted survey so you can gather the information necessary to properly allocate your limited volunteer resources going forward as you prepare for the attempted “revival” that should accompany 1.16.

I will say that you have generally given me a prompt ear, and it does not go unnoticed but I did not craft this thread specifically looking for a reply, I did so in hopes of catalyzing change.

Pmx728, Thee Boss, Meznik and 7 others like this.
  19. Midnight_Galaxy

Midnight_Galaxy ✧゚・:*Forever Reading *:・゚✧

What i mean by this, is that the development of the ideas is not possible and wouldn't work in regards to the techy voodoo aspect. I have always endevoured to ask the communities feedback on something i am personally working on, an example would be parkour, i am always asking what people want to see and working on implementing them.
    What would you suggest to resolve this?

SpongeyStar, qazini and Viperfan like this.
  20. Viperfan

Okay and that's great, myself and many others I'm sure are glad you're asking for community input, but I'm not singling you out as being like the one person who doesn't take input, I was talking about the staff team as a whole as I didn't to individually name people

Instead of just having the staff team tell everyone that x thing is 'coming soon', actually give like some detail about the development about it or just don't keep pressing the same idea that something is coming soon for months, as it diminishes the 'soon' factor of it. I talked about this with Adrian and like an example was instead of saying ctf is coming 'soon' I asked if there's a plugin ready for it, if there's maps ready, etc. Just general stuff that helps give a basis of what work is being done without spoiling new features or mechanics of a gamemode

Thee Boss, IzzSt, SpongeyStar and 4 others like this.