1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Getting Back into Music Production

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by J055Y_, Mar 28, 2018.

1. J055Y_

J055Y_ Celebrity Meeper

Quick Note: I produce electronic music, so if that's not your thing, then this probably won't be very interesting for you.

So, earlier this year on a new years resolution thread, I stated that I wanted to establish my brand for music production. Now, while it is true that I have been doing this for quite a while, at that time I had no name that was "set in stone" per say. I was using the alias I use on Steam gaming (ÆTHER). So, after a lot of thinking, debating, and talking about it with friends, I took the plunge and re-branded my work under "J055Y". Following this I invested in a web server and I am currently working on a fully fledged E-Commerce site to distribute my music. I could use services such as Spotify and Google Play Music, and I probably will in the future, but as of now, I wanted a challenge, hence my choice to do it from scratch.

I thought I would make this thread as a means to get feedback on my latest development into the world of music production and to demonstrate that it is in fact possible to accomplish your new years resolutions.
    Feedback means a lot to me, as it enables me to learn where I can improve and adapt my techniques, methodology, and style. With that in mind, please don't refrain from telling me if what I have made is bad. I would much rather someone give me the blunt truth than bluff me into thinking I have accomplished musical equilibrium.

Anyway, without further ado, I present to you my latest piece:

Thank you for your time

- J055Y_

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  2. riri30

riri30 Retired veteran

Absolutely dope beats man

J055Y_ likes this.
  3. smk

smk Celebrity Meeper

Sweet stuff

J055Y_ likes this.
  4. bloodyghost

bloodyghost local haunt

Hey J055Y, this is sounding really good!
    My only issues are there is a bit of a lack of satisfying low end (at least in my listening environment). It may be due to a little bit too much compression on some of the leads or master limiting. Also, the leads overtake the drums in volume a little too much at some points. Other than that really solid! Good arrangement, melodies, visuals, etc. This is more of a personal opinion, but I think some more variation in your drop growls would be nice, but that could go either way.
    What daw do you use? And how long have you been producing?

J055Y_ and FamousZAmos like this.
  5. FamousZAmos

FamousZAmos Popular Meeper

Pretty nice track, but I think bloodyghost was right about the low end. Sounds like you remembered to high pass your basses and forgot the sub D: (also your serum growls (assuming its serum) were a bit dry for my tastes, I would move them down an octave and/or add a little* reverb if that won't rape your mastering)
    Compression was a bit tight too
    What is your Daw?
    How did you learn?
    And finally the good things:
    Melody was nice, intro was nice. The song "flows" really nicely, also love the new logo fella.

SpongeyStar and J055Y_ like this.
  6. J055Y_

J055Y_ Celebrity Meeper

I originally used Ableton Live 9 Suite, but it broke when I built my new PC, so I now use FL Studio 12.
    I have been producing since summer 2016 (that's when I first opened Ableton anyway).

Admittedly my original method for learning was via YouTube tutorials, however recently (since I bought Serum) I have just been messing around with knobs and buttons to make various sounds, and learning the ropes that way. I find that a hands-on approach suites me better.

Yeah I kinda figured that would be the case. I use a pair of Sony MDR-XB450 headphones which are quite cheap and extremely bass heavy. Because of this, my perception of how bass heavy a song is will be very different to what it "actually" sounds like. I intend to invest in some studio headphones later down the line when I have some spare cash, but as it is, all I can do is apologize for the inferior bass.

Thank you both for the excellent feedback, I will be sure to take it into account with my next production.

7. FamousZAmos

FamousZAmos Popular Meeper

*homieness intensifies*
    I used to be in the same boat. I used to test mastering with a cheap "average man" speaker (some pair of generic dell speakers) to see if the mix was ""satisfying"

SpongeyStar and J055Y_ like this.