1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Double Post Chat Filter

Discussion in 'Completed' started by Its_Madison, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Its_Madison

Its_Madison Professional Nerd

Get rid of the double post chat filter. I don’t know if anyone else has had a problem with it, but it’s a little annoying when I cannot say something to someone just because someone said the same thing just a second before. It is ineffective at catching spam because someone could just send out the same sentence but change a couple characters to bypass the filter. I feel like spamming is best dealt with by a staff member instead of a filter.

SuperDyl, Peero, KyloMeep and 4 others like this.
  2. Courtneyyy

Courtneyyy Admin Princess Staff Member Helper Media Elder

When someone joins the server and we all love to welcome them the first person says Welcome then the ones who follow get hit with this "this post is too similar don't double post" and have to go back and fix it with a capital letter or a ! at the end. Simple really, understandable why it was made and implemented but it's quite useless now.

Peero, Marshy_88, Enron and 3 others like this.
  3. Smshortstack

Smshortstack Popular Meeper

I feel like it could prevent people who join random servers and start spamming. It's also nice when you accidentally say the same thing, but it doesn't really bother me.

Its_Madison likes this.
  4. Its_Madison

I understand what you mean, but I have to disagree.

The plugin is able to handle spammers that just post the same thing over and over again. However, the plugin is not able to catch most types of spam. These include writing the same thing over and over again and then posting (example), writing and posting the same thing but with some different characters (example), and writing a whole lot of nonsense to take up the chat space (example).

We are looking at trying to balance handling spammers and dealing with the inconvenience of the plugin when trying to talk. Would we rather keep an inconvenience to all players who use global and have a plugin that serves a redundant role (since there are staff online throughout the majority of the day who can easily catch and deal with global spam), or would we rather get rid of that inconvenience and let staff do their job?

5. FamousZAmos

FamousZAmos Popular Meeper

heheheh

Oh the filter!
    Yeah, remove it. Low staff is pretty decent at moderating chat so it's usually not a big deal. Just a quick "hey can you not" and then a kick if they don't co-operate. Adds some spice to the daily routine ya know?

SpongeyStar likes this.
  6. Its_Madison

Well, do you have any ideas that Meep could implement to counteract spam without involving staff and without causing an inconvenience to the community? I am interested in hearing them.

7. FamousZAmos

triple post filter

SpongeyStar, xQuartz and Its_Madison like this.
  8. Its_Madison

This could work. I can't think of many occasions where you would need to say something three times. However, it only solves the first kind of spam; it still doesn't solve the other types of spam that I mentioned above. Regardless, it's still a better idea than the double post filter.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  9. lollisweet101

lollisweet101 Celebrity Meeper

Well, the bots that spam ads aren't stopped by the filter. But as ZAmos said, I think a triple post filter could work out.

Its_Madison likes this.
  10. iPolarFlame

iPolarFlame Popular Meeper

I think spam prevention is great and is necessary to meepcraft but this chat filter is quite annoying, espiecally when welcoming people or when answering a question in global. It works but it could be improved or taken out. Staff can handle chat, and if someone is spamming or repeating themselves excessively then most players would ask them to stop or screenshot it and send it to a staff member. Just my thoughts. :)

Its_Madison likes this.
  11. lollisweet101

Staff shouldn't be spending all of their time moderating players, they have other stuff like projects to do. So, it may delay future server plans if all spam prevention is relied on staff members. I mean, the filter was made for certain reasons: one of them being is to have chat spam not so server staff-reliant. I mean, if a bot was on spamming chat like crazy and there were no staff online, what would you do? Well, my answer is pretty simple.

Place a triple chat filter & apply it to not just players, but bots too.

Its_Madison likes this.
  12. Courtneyyy

Courtneyyy Admin Princess Staff Member Helper Media Elder

I disagree, the entire job revolving around a helper is to help and moderate specific offenses like this. If we continue taking away simple jobs like these the helper rank will soon cease to exist.

Its_Madison likes this.
  13. lollisweet101

That is true, but staff members do much more than just handle spam. I'm not saying that there should be a bot for bans or for accepting/denying forum threads, because that's the server staff's job. It's just taking away the job of handling spam, which wouldn't really affect the server that much.

Its_Madison likes this.
  14. iPolarFlame

A triple post filter would be great and I agree that's a solution to the problem. Helper's have jobs and managing chat is a big part of being Helper. They are being tested to see how they handle situations and if they are mature enough to move up the staff ranks. I think a triple post filter would be great but it can be avoided just like the current one. Like it or not, staff will have to moderate chat and that's mainly a Helper's job. :)

Its_Madison likes this.
  15. FamousZAmos

The point of being accepted to staff isn't being promoted.

SpongeyStar and Its_Madison like this.
  16. iPolarFlame

Not what I said, not what I meant.. Helpers are constantly being monitored by higher-ups and by the players of Meepcraft. The point of being Helper is to add to the Meepcraft community and keep it friendly. I was saying that Helpers are meant to monitor chat and make sure nothing is being spammed and nothing inappropriate is being said. That is by far not the only responsibility Helpers have, but it is a large one.

17. Enron

Enron Celebrity Meeper

Would that be so bad? Nowadays like half the active players are staff.

18. Flamedemond2

Flamedemond2 Highly flammable

Triple post seems like a pretty reasonable middle ground between 0 filter and the current filter, accepted.

teddypines and SuperDyl like this.
  19. CluelessKlutz

CluelessKlutz Badmin

Completed - it's now a triple post filter

teddypines, qazini and BooBear1227 like this.