1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Dear Staff

Discussion in 'Denied' started by Achrow, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Achrow

Achrow Celebrity Meeper Staff Member Architect

Hello guys and girls.

I am writing this suggestion thread as a suggestion for the staff team in general and i would be very grateful if you keep on reading on to find out why.

As most of you know I have been on meep for quite a long time, and during this time I have found that staff are varied in personalities and "strictness" but with this amazing variety of people in the staff team, also comes a huge disadvantage and here is why. Staff have different standards and this is really not okay as it creates an un-balanced and unfair system for everyone to work around. Some staff are strict, and follow the rules as if they are the law. Other staff are much more relaxed and don't mind as much and will give you a second or third chance and there is a really bad problem with this. I'm going to be focusing on moderation in-game mostly but it also happens in forums. And before everyone tells me there is a "guide" for staff, its not good enough.

About a year ago i remember a person saying a server name in global, and they weren't banned just warned and then my friend said a server name in local about a few hours later and she was banned for a day all because a different staff member was on duty this creates huge unfairness and shouldn't be allowed just because it depends which staff are online, Yes, this was a year ago but i even see it happening recently.
    It isn't just in-game moderation this happens say if a staff member is reviewing one application, and another staff for a different one, those staff members have their own opinions and will accept/deny the application not on the terms of a structured system which checks boxes but on their own personal belief of what it takes. I am not complaining about staff, i am just pointing out the elephant in the room and what most people have been thinking for a long time.

If we change the way staff handle these punishments so it is all equal it will also make the server a-lot less confusing for people. For example: "Oh! well, i only got a 5 minute ban for swearing with Mary (I didn't want to mention any staff names) so i am sure it will only be a 10 minute ban next time with john" and then that player gets banned for half a day.
    A way of letting me, and other people know this is actually going to happen is you could display next to all the rules how long the punishment would be for each. Trust lies thin in meep so this is how things should be done by the book, instead of willy-nilly lengths of times for random people. Like every person, they deserve a trial for their punishment but of course we can't give every person a trial each time they are banned so instead we should add a way which will show how long bans are for different offences and staff should follow this. Also this is to do with applications being bias (You can message me on discord if you want to take up that argument too.)

My source, from a previous staff member states that staff aren't given sets of times for different bans, and its more on the bases of what you think is best. This is outrageous and a completely corrupt way to run things. There should be a set of rules and sets of ban lengths. I understand that each situation can be different but if someone goes against the rules then they should receive the right amount of ban length, so if multiple people do the same thing they will all receive the same punishment and it will be fair.

It is messy. We do need some opinion from staff members, but it can't be overruled by that opinion. It is ridiculous in the way staff run things, helpers and mods and smods e.c.t all have a duty to do what is best but how do we know their morals are the correct ones? how do we know they are serving out the right ban lengths for different people? Its based on what they think.We have these staff to look after the server and moderate us but we can't give them a full opinion on the situation. It has to be fair and at the moment i don't see it. A staff member might of had a bad day so they decide to take it out on the person they are banning. I'm not saying that always happens but i have to assume the worst to get across all my points.
    It will stop bias decisions in general. I think we all are at-least friends with one of the staff members and how are we to know they aren't just giving us the maximum time of a ban because they hate us? or in a different case the minimal amount of time because they like us? I know this is what makes staff friendly and it gives staff a personal touch otherwise we could just install robots (thats a joke, sorry) but it is still unfair.

I say it's time to make a change in the way staff moderate the server, instead of having a set of rules which staff base their own judgement on there should be a re written way staff look after the server, a book which says a ban is a certain length (For example: Swearing 3rd offence = 1 day ban). I'm also not saying they cant have any control over the situation but staff should punish all 2nd offence alt abusing the same (another example). Al too make the server a fair place. If this system doesn't change then it is a terrible way to run a server and i see no point in staying.

And a second to last note, i am not shouting at the server but i know if i don't come forcefully with this suggestion staff will not even consider accepting it.

STAFF DO NOT DENY THE TRUTH
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 23, 2018, Original Post Date: Jul 23, 2018 ---
    Basically for people who can't be bothered to read all of that, I am saying we should have a new moderation system. We should have staff ban people fairly.

Attached Files:

Blazetop and SuperDyl like this.
  2. Enron

Enron Celebrity Meeper

This is a dying, mostly empty, blacklisted server on a game that just isn't as popular anymore. Things like this are the least of our worries. Fix the server so half the stuff isn't broken and start drawing in new players and then maybe this would be worth discussing. The truth is on a server that averages like 25 people online at a time, people complaining about getting a slightly longer ban than someone else just doesn't matter.

Marshy_88, Courtneyyy and Klitch like this.
  3. Muunkee

Muunkee Legendary art supply hoarder

A lot of things, especially regarding chat based offenses, there will always be subectivity and context.

If I advertise, Hey please go to X awesome server!
    Im obv gonna get banned.

If Im talking to a friend and accidentally say something like 'Im going onto x server want to come' and do /g instead of /r, which happens all the time, Im extremely less likely to be banned but will likely be warned to be more careful.

Also, there is an entire page worth that every staff has access to with guidlines on what to ban for each offense, how much fines should be, when to perm, when to warn, etc.

All staff have to post on the staff only section of the forums every single ban that is over 6 hours with proof and the whole deal. This allows admins and smods to moderate bans to make sure they are fair.

The reason that it is so subjective is youre asking a bunch of mostly kids who are volunteering on a mc server. It really really does not matter and if someone is being unnecessarily toxic they will eventually be removed.

Overall... Chill. Its not a big deal. There already is a page that is exactly what you described.
    Let staff do their job.

4. Achrow

exactly, a whole bunch of kids which is why they need set in stone guidelines.

5. Summers

Summers Hot Meeper

Or you could just not break rules???

iKitten, smk and Courtneyyy like this.
  6. Achrow

Well Summers as i said it's not just moderation its also applications, ban appeals e.c.t
    Are you? Just because i am stating my opinion and suggestion means you are rude?

SuperDyl and EllieEllie like this.
  7. nhjed

nhjed Celebrity Meeper

you, of all people, have no sort of relevency to make this server better. you’re acting like we have 1,000 players lmao, if we’re hitting 40 players max everyday why are you bothered so much?

administrators set guidelines for staff members. half of them barely play on this server anymore.

you haven’t been here for any significant amount of time to know what you’re talking about. you haven’t been here for “a while”

suggestion threads that don’t get anywhere are getting old

Toostenheimer and Marshy_88 like this.
  8. Achrow

If the server is dying, empty and blacklisted why do you still read the forums of meepcraft? I am just adding a suggestion, that is why there is a suggestion area in forums.
    I know we don't have a 1,000 players i'm just adding a suggestion I don't see why my suggestion is any lesser to others.

SuperDyl likes this.
  9. CluelessKlutz

CluelessKlutz Badmin

For the previous two years I have been a part of the team, staff have had guidelines for bans. Hackers are permed, dupers are permed, xrayers are permed. Thefts have set amounts. Caps in global? Inappropriate content in global? Chat based offenses are far more subjective. Should someone who's done this same thing six times be banned for longer than someone on their first?

When dealing with anything chat related, there's always going to be variation, but it's not as if some staff are saying "yea you can go dupe" and others obviously tell you not to. Each case is wildly different, simply due to the fact that there are different severeties, banhistories, forms on punishment, and a number of other contextual differences. The team has had outliers, but as a whole the system works, and there's no need to change it.

agnd, iKitten, SuperDyl and 6 others like this.
  10. riri30

riri30 Retired veteran

Some staff will be more slack on rules on minor offenses, but that will be the same pretty much your whole life lol, and staff members shouldn’t abandon what they think is right to fall into a generality just to be fair.

11. Muunkee

If you read my post you would know they literally already have this

Courtneyyy likes this.
  12. Shellcode

Shellcode Celebrity Meeper

Life isint fair; people are different and act differently it’s simply the way people work. Staff have guidelines already that they are supposed to follow and proof is required for any serious punishments. I say this as a several time previous staff member, albeit not a moderation staff but I worked with them as well, if you have an issue with a staff members “unfairness” you have places here on the forums to dispute those issues where higher staff can review them.

Marshy_88 and Courtneyyy like this.
  13. Achrow

I don't have any issues with staff members but i have issues with the way they run things, I know i would get a bucket load of disagreement as everyone thinks staff members are perfect. I am simply saying they need to change the way they run the moderation team. Staff get the decision of how long someones ban is, staff get to decide if an application is denied or accepted, Everything is in their hands and every staff member is a person and humans are the most emotionally developed creatures, my point being that all these staff members in the moderation team have their own bias opinions based on emotion and their own morals and the system i am promoting stops unfair decisions being made.

SuperDyl likes this.
  14. OneBreadSlice

OneBreadSlice Celebrity Meeper

Is there a TL.;.DR for this?

15. Muunkee

Replies: it already exists and youre stupid and this is literally the smallest thing to be worrying about

Thats it c':

OneBreadSlice and Courtneyyy like this.
  16. Kling

Kling Break blocks not hearts

:yawn::yawn:
    Denied, we already have these things in place, it's up to staff to enforce them correctly.

agnd, iKitten, riri30 and 1 other person like this.