1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Computer Problems (50k Prize)

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Qaztar, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Qaztar

Qaztar Celebrity Meeper

50k Prize for Anyone who Comes up With a Solution Which Keeps my Personal Files
    10k Prize for Anyone who Comes up With a Solution Which Loses my Personal Files

Things aren't great. I woke up this morning, turned on my computer, and the dreaded "preparing automatic repair" showed up. I restarted multiple times, but to no avail. I then went to the troubleshooting tab, and clicked "Reset my PC" and then "Keep My Files."

However, when I clicked this, it informed me that I dont have enough disc space on my C drive, where windows is installed. The drive has 120 GB. I can also access the command prompt. Is there any way that I could clear everything but Windows in the C Drive by using the command prompt?

Ill post some pictures when I get home.
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG
    GPU: nVidia GTX 980 Ti
    CPU: Intel i7 5600k
    Hard Drive 1/C: 120 GB SSD
    Hard Drive 2/E: 1000 GB

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  2. NuckleMuckle

NuckleMuckle Popular Meeper

The command you want is rd or rmdir - I believe that one is an alias of the other, so it makes no difference which you use. Google it for syntax rules.

It is a tool with great power, which means it also comes with great responsibility, so be careful what you use it on.

BlackJack and metr0n0me like this.
  3. fasehed

fasehed Celebrity Meeper

If what @NuckleMuckle thing doesn't work then you may be facing 2 problems, a corrupt file, in witch case you might need to delete everything to find and get rid of it, or your hard drive failed, before this happened when you turned your pc would it make a grinding sound?

4. IGotBored

IGotBored Celebrity Meeper

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Celebrity Meeper

Files don't just corrupt on their own, much less files critical to the OS itself. It's most likely a bad driver or a virus or something along those lines mucking with things. And a grinding sound would indicate a crashed head, in which case you wouldn't even get to start up repair. C'mon dude.

@Qaztar Your best bet is to follow NuckleMuckle's advice and read up on how to do rmdir. Getting rid of your Users folder would probably free up enough space, so doing "rmdir users" would be your best bet. I'd try it if I had a free computer.

Enron, KyloMeep, BooBear1227 and 4 others like this.
  6. fasehed

fasehed Celebrity Meeper

Man your out to get me xD

7. Qaztar

Qaztar Celebrity Meeper

I'll try this. Thanks!
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 24, 2016, Original Post Date: Mar 24, 2016 ---
    (If it works, I'll give both Blackjack and Nuckle 25k.)

8. zsuzsu1

zsuzsu1 Popular Meeper

try taking it to a tech store I doubt itll be able to be solved online. same with Microsoft forums support, its useless sicne its can be caused by numerous things.

9. NuckleMuckle

NuckleMuckle Popular Meeper

Wow, the OP changed a lot since my first response. Thanks for the offer of a reward. It's not necessary, but I appreciate the gesture.

More importantly, the additional info. Knowing that you have a 1TB secondary HD, you have another option - rather than wiping out whole directory trees, you can move them to E.

The most important spec you left out is OS version. Some of the command-line utilities change names, new ones added, old ones deprecated, etc. I'll go ahead and assume you're at least at Windows 7, which means the command you want to copy entire directory structures is: ROBOCOPY.

This one has a ton of options, so the help page can be pretty intimidating, but this is probably all you want:

ROBOCOPY [source directory] [destination directory] /COPYALL - if you want to do the copy, then verify success, before issuing a separate RM command to delete the source files

ROBOCOPY [source directory] [destination directory] /MOVE - to do the copies and deletes all in a single step

I recommend using fully-qualified directory names in the command, so you don't make a mistake. So rather than navigating to C:\Users and issuing it with a relative name: (ROBOCOPY myuser E:\myuser /MOVE), it would be: ROBOCOPY C:\Users\myuser E:\myuser /MOVE

After you've cleared enough space, I'd recommend running CHKDSK against the SSD. Those can still get bad "sectors," just for reasons that are different than those from spinning disks. In fact: http://cs.iupui.edu/~fgsong/csci402/ssd.pdf

I see that "1000 supported writes" a lot whenever I look at home SSD technologies. I suggest you find out what kind you have. If it's 3-bit or more, you've got a device that is not a good choice for your OS install, as certain parts of your OS are very high in write/delete operations, like the virtual memory. And unlike a spinning disk, the SSD controller sprays that data around seemingly randomly, so that virtual memory usage will not be limited to particular sectors. CHKDSK will help you there... if it flags a lot of space as unusable, that's evidence that this SSD is nearing its end of life, and you might want to consider replacing it ASAP. On the other hand, if it tests good, you might still be wise to consider, once everything is running again, to, at a very minimum, updating your configuration to specify that the virtual memory should be on the other drive.

10. Qaztar

Qaztar Celebrity Meeper

Sorry! Totally forgot. Running Windows 10
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 24, 2016, Original Post Date: Mar 24, 2016 ---
    I did what you said to do, by typing "C:\Users\Liam E:\Users /MOVE
    I think it tells me to use /MIR instead of /MOVE? Is this correct?
    Error I'm getting is "Invalid Parameter #3 : "E:\Users" And below it says "Simple Usages : : ROBOCOPY source destination /MIR"
    Below that it says stuff about the source and destination and such. Should I need that?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  11. Kling

Kling Break blocks not hearts

Wrap a towl around your PC and place it in a bathtub to cool down. The towels are used to soak the water so your PC wont break.

ryanjman21, Hyori and Shellcode like this.
  12. Lord_Walrus

Lord_Walrus Popular Meeper

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

KyloMeep and Shellcode like this.
  13. _Gimble_1.

_Gimble_1. Popular Meeper

try kicking it, always works for our old PC :p

Shellcode likes this.
  14. Qaztar

Qaztar Celebrity Meeper

yes
    no
    no

Kling likes this.
  15. Kachess

Kachess Celebrity Meeper

Hate to be the grammar police but, *you're and *which.

fasehed likes this.
  16. Qaztar

Qaztar Celebrity Meeper

*I hate to be the grammar police but, *you're and *which.

Kachess and lfpnub like this.
  17. PrinceAdam

PrinceAdam Popular Meeper

When you click keep my files insert a USB into the computer before you turn it on. When you select the files you want to copy, copy it to the USB, do not copy it to the hard drive.

18. Qaztar

Qaztar Celebrity Meeper

I'll do this as well, thank you! If it works, I'll give you 5k

PrinceAdam likes this.
  19. PrinceAdam

PrinceAdam Popular Meeper

You mean 50k

20. Qaztar

Qaztar Celebrity Meeper

I'll actually do 10k. Because this doesn't actually fix my computer, it just gives me a way to keep my files.