1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Computer Help

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Marshy_88, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Marshy_88

Marshy_88 Celebrity Meeper

Okay, so within the last few months I somehow amassed 550$ CAD. Surprising. So, I'm looking into computers. I am referring to Desktops, and I want to know which: Mac or Windows. Here's what my preferences are:

Os- I love Mac Os and it is hands down my most favorite operating system, but it isn't a requirement.

Steam- I'm looking at Windows because it is known to run Steam, and some cool Steam games.

Price- For price It needs to be under $1500 CAD because that is the limit of reason.

Build- Must NOT be a Build your own Computer. I'd just screw it up.

Durability- I need a computer that will run well for the next 8-10 years and won't break and burn down. This is a reason I like Macs, our two Macs have lasted 5 and 9 years, and still run well.

Size- For a screen, It'd have to be at least 21.5in, and no more than 27in.

Computer- I want a built in computer, not a separate case. I have a monitor but it's pretty bad, and I just don't really have space for it.

Colour- It must be black. OR black and Silver. White is distracting.

Screen- It needs to look good

Specs (Specific);
    • Windows 7/8/10 (64bit)
    • Processor: Intel Core i3 2GHz or equivalent, Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom™ X3 8750 processor or better (Something good)
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Dedicated graphics card with at least 1GB memory
    • Storage: 500GB-1TB
    You know what, I just want to be able to play Jalopy, DOOM I, II, III, and CS:GO
    (And Ts, Minecraft, Unturned, Don't Starve, Bean NG.drive, And other fun games)

NEW NOTE

I want a Windows. Not Mac. I love Mac but it's pricy and won't run Steam.

Help me please

SuperDyl likes this.
  2. Wiggle_Waggle

Wiggle_Waggle Popular Meeper

A couple choices:

Look at the windows refurbished website; as i bought one of my 5 computers from there and i thought it was pretty good..
    Registered Refurbisher Program - Directory

Also, look at amazon or ebay (or some canadian buying/selling website lol)
    good luck! let me know if you need any spec help...

Marshy_88 likes this.
  3. Lilliya

Lilliya Celebrity Meeper

So you want an all in one computer basically? good luck, they're trash when it comes to gaming

fasehed, benster82, KyloMeep and 2 others like this.
  4. BlackJack

BlackJack Celebrity Meeper

Jesus Christ.

SX1, benster82, Lilliya and 2 others like this.
  5. Marshy_88

I guess a computer monitor dou would be able to work, but gaming wouldnt be the only use of the device. And it wouldnt be really be games that need a lot like Gta

6. benster82

benster82 Celebrity Meeper

Why not go the build it yourself route? PC building is so easy now, everything fits together like Legos. Just follow a few guides and you'll be golden. Never hurts to learn something new.

Marshy_88 likes this.
  7. minetifa

minetifa Celebrity Meeper

What @benster82 said. I'll gladly put together a PC for you on pcpartpicker if youre willing to actually build the thing.

It's literally as simple as taking one thing, putting it inside a slot, plugging in a cord, boom. Do that a couple times, and you just saved yourself hundreds.

Marshy_88 likes this.
  8. Marshy_88

I purchased a computer about a week ago now, and so far I'm quite happy with it. It's an Acer Aspire ATC-220 EB52 refurbished for the price of $409 CAD , and with it I've secured a GTX 550Ti, and a 500W power supply. I consulted a friend of mine and he said the main things that would need changing are the graphics card and power supply, and said that everything else was fine and to considering upgrading ram. Here's the specs:

Windows 10 64 bit

AMD a10-7800

Low spec Radeon R7 graphics

8GB DDR3

300w power supply

1TB Hard Drive

(Most other things aren't said or specified by Acer)

SuperDyl likes this.
  9. Viperfan

Viperfan Celebrity Meeper Staff Member Game Designer

CyberPowerPC - Gamer Supreme Liquid Cooled Desktop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 120GB SSD + 2TB HDD - Black/Blue

This is what i got, it packs a 140gb ssd drive and a 2tb hhd so storage isnt an issue. I run basically all games with 150+ fps (even modded games) It has a 6th Gen Intel Core I7-6700K processor and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 graphics card which is really damn good. you can read over everything in the listing but for everything it has it aint a bad price (and its on sale)
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 20, 2016, Original Post Date: Nov 20, 2016 ---
    you could play doom I and II with a toaster lmao

Marshy_88 likes this.
  10. Marshy_88

I actually saw that computer at Canada Computers where I got the Tower, but it was about $2,000 (Because Canada)

SuperDyl likes this.
  11. Viperfan

Viperfan Celebrity Meeper Staff Member Game Designer

damn, well good luck with the computer you bought

12. iGwampa

iGwampa Popular Meeper

Thats a really bad price

13. fasehed

fasehed Celebrity Meeper

It's gonna be hard to find a sub $1500 all in one computer good at gaming :/

14. BlackJack

Hey, that's my job.
    No, please no.

minetifa and GroovyGrevous like this.
  15. Toasteds

Toasteds Popular Meeper

It is always better to build your own computer when you are able to. Big-name companies never put the top quality items into their computers for the reason of making a bigger profit. You can spend 500 USD (roughly 670 CAD) and get a computer that runs like a 1,000 USD computer.

Pros of building:
    > Less money for better specs
    > You can always edit and upgrade same computer
    > After you build the first one, you know the ins and outs of it so you can fix most problems.

Cons of building:
    > You have to build the computer

I know you said you do not want to build your own because you would mess it up but it is honestly not that hard once you get started. If you do run into trouble, there is always tutorials online to help. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    SuperDyl likes this.
  16. BlackJack

Your friend is pretty off the mark, honestly. Everything needs upgrading. Upgrade the GPU and you'll bottleneck the CPU. Upgrade the CPU and you'll bottleneck the GPU. Upgrade both and you're looking at putting together basically a brand new computer (which you should've done in the first place). Why are you willing to upgrade a computer rather than build it? It's literally the same process.

And no, you don't throw more RAM at a computer and magically make it better. You have plenty. That system is about as good as it'll get without a major overhaul.

SuperDyl, Marshy_88 and minetifa like this.
  17. Marshy_88

From my price point, it's cheaper to buy. There are people on the Acer fourm who have installed the same graphics card, a GTX 550TI to the same computer, and it has worked well. For me, now I will have only spent 400$ on the computer, 20$ on the GTX, and have not had to build a computer and possibly screw up installing software (and not have to pay 120$ for Windows )

SuperDyl likes this.
  18. BlackJack

You made it sound like it already had a 550. My bad. Still, I don't understand why you're so adamant to build a computer when upgrading one is essentially the same process. Software is very easy to install and Windows doesn't have to cost $120. ;)

Marshy_88 likes this.
  19. Marshy_88

I preferred the guarantee of a working computer with a return policy if it fails, than be unprotected and try to make something that I don't know will work. Like I said before, It's cheaper here to buy a computer and spend 70$ 50$ on 500w, 20$ on Card) on a graphics card and power supply, then 600$ on building a pc. But thank you for your help.

SuperDyl likes this.
  20. Lovexender

Lovexender Meeper