1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Community Involvement / Parkour Upgrade

Discussion in 'Completed' started by FamousZAmos, Nov 7, 2017.

?

Should it be Community or staff?

Poll closed Nov 14, 2017.
  1. Staff are incapable.

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. The community is trash.

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Why make more parkour?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. This is poll is stupid - Kling

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. FamousZAmos

FamousZAmos Popular Meeper

So as most of you know, Meep has some pretty good parkour, Countryside is brilliantly made, and City has some fun parts. Even Flower and Balloon can be fun, but those are usually broken in some way, and I don't think anyone has even tried Chillroom lately due to it being annoying as *heck* which leads to the question: shouldn't more courses be implemented? A few nice courses could really spice up the server, with players battling to have the fastest times or complete them first. Meep might actually have an element of competition again, plus players wouldn't be stuck with the same 8 or so stale courses.
    At the beginning of Countryside is the name of the player who built it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that guy was not staff, not an arch or even a moderator. I think it's pretty telling when the best course was made by a non-staffer. What I mean to propose is rather than have staff build 2 more boring courses nobody will play after a week or two, staff should construct some form of contest, give players a month or so to create a nicely themed course. That way, staff easily gets many good courses of varying difficulties to choose from, can pick the best ones, make sure the difficulty is consistent, tweak anything that needs it, and release a handful of courses, some maybe extraordinarily difficult, some may be beautiful works of art with magnificent design, but at the very least staff has to do less work and the courses might actually be fun. This might draw in new players as well, something Meep sorely needs.
    So Mr Decals, what will it be? Inconsistency and subpar decoration from the staff team? Or Community Involvement with slight chance for little failure?

SuperDyl and SpongeyStar like this.
  2. CluelessKlutz

CluelessKlutz Badmin

Countryside was indeed made by a staff member, or at least someone involved in the staff team.

All the other courses have been built by people who were architects at the time.

SuperDyl likes this.
  3. Kling

Kling Break blocks not hearts

Players have always been able to submit maps, whats the point of a contest when players can spend much more time on a map then show us like they already can do. Is there suppose to be a reward or?

SuperDyl and PeriHeika like this.
  4. PeriHeika

PeriHeika Celebrity Meeper

Yes! I think the biggest problem about parkour is keeping it alive.

There aren't enough players for this to be efficient. You have to think about how many people will actually enter the competition, and then minus that by how many people can actually build and then subtract again by how many people will build something reasonable that the server can comply with. There's a lot of personal factors you have to consider.

If they wanted the players to make server buildings, we wouldn't have architects.

Life Lesson: Never attack your audience. You're trying to appeal to both the players and the staff. The staff are the ones who will ultimately approve or disapprove of your argument, and you're essentially telling them they're an incompetent train wreck. If they feel like they're being insulted, do you think they're going to go with your plan? How do you think the architects feel when players call their buildings "boring" and "subpar"? Even if your target audience wasn't the staff and it was only directed towards the players of the server, it's a bad idea to put them down because it makes you look like a bad person.
    This is writing 101, this is the kind of stuff you need to consider even in the real world.

I understand you want the players to have fun, but you really need to consider what was said in your last suggestion. -1

SuperDyl likes this.
  5. FamousZAmos

FamousZAmos Popular Meeper

this is my point, The architects have repeatedly proven themselves incapable of most "game-like" builds and refuse to accept it. I accept that I'm bad at building big castles so I don't. I didn't used to be good at building natural things, so I practiced. The current architect team makes some amazing buildings and has skills beyond my comprehension, but that applies to what they're good at, which seems to only be server spawn and buildings. otherwise, they don't accept failure or criticism, which is why I made the SB arena rant a while back. They knew they couldn't do it, but they tried anyway and screwed themselves again.
    Didn't know that, it would be neat if players were told that somewhere.

SpongeyStar likes this.
  6. evilalec555

evilalec555 Celebrity Meeper

rip slick's ice

7. PeriHeika

PeriHeika Celebrity Meeper

So you're beating around the bush by using a lack of player participation to cover up your distaste for the staff team?
    No one is ever going to love everything about the management of this server, and you either put up with it and stay or leave. We know the server has issues and it's not that people don't address them, it's that we know about them and can't do anything. If you're trying to be a hero, then don't, because you'll only become discouraged.
    It's obvious you care, and there's nothing wrong with that, but players play and staff staff, and there's no point in sticking our noses in something we can't fix and we don't understand. There's a lot of things behind the scenes, and we can't jump to conclusions.

Lesson 2: Attack the action, not the person. You're telling me that 4 people who were considered trustworthy enough to be staff are arrogant? When I was staff, I remember the architects getting crap for things they didn't have control over. They do a lot of work, but it goes unrecognized because higher ups scratch ideas or have so many things on their plate that nothing gets done. It's not their fault.
    Maybe they don't have anything right now, and if that's the case, then maybe they could make new parkour, but that means community involvement isn't necessary.

SuperDyl likes this.
  8. Kling

Kling Break blocks not hearts

Would you like a constant message saying players can submit maps, would you like me to continue taking submissions and let the entire server know when I do? I say on a consistent basis players can submit things for us to implement.

Quit badmouthing the architects, they've made one thing you were displeased with which was the SB arena to which others displayed appreciation for. You really need to figure out how you word things kiddo because there is giving criticism then being disrespectful.

I want players who believe they can build better game like maps on the team so we can consistently switch and produce more maps instead of wining like children that they are not good enough. With that being said I ask you to give me a list of all the builds the current architect team have proven they cant make decent game-like builds since it is a repetitive occurrence.

Give me proof that they do not accept criticism and have not accepted failure. They've only been criticized about the Skyblock Arena and there has not been anything released on the server since by the architects so remind me again how they are not accepting failure/criticism.

9. EllieEllie

EllieEllie Staff Member Leadership

This is already an idea that has been discussed between myself, mid and klutch and things are looking promising. Players are always welcome to submit maps and I'm more than happy to receive them, I'm currently talking with Bloopers about a map that he's made.

Since parkour is not something high on the list for upgrades due to our tech and arch team working on some pretty big things (we would need the techs to sort out portals,), I'm going to be honest and say it may take a while for this to happen. My greatest concern right now is finding a new plugin that saves checkpoints for players that go offline or warp out of the world and is generally smoother, but thank you for the suggestion and hopefully you'll see it in-game because it's definitely something I was wanting to explore myself.

10. CluelessKlutz

CluelessKlutz Badmin

Completed, we have implemented additional parkour maps (including Grotto, which was submitted by the community).

SuperDyl likes this.