1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Ban Transparency

Discussion in 'Denied' started by HotAsianBeans, Jan 13, 2015.

1. HotAsianBeans

HotAsianBeans Celebrity Meeper

Recently bans have changed where normal players can't see the ban. I personally don't like this because it keeps the community in the dark, and also reduces accountability for staff members when banning. I agree that there are some positives that come with removing it, but I believe that the community should be able to know who was banned and why they were banned whether it be through ban messages in chat, or a log of banned players on the forums.

EDIT: Karistar and Metro have pointed out another good argument. Having bans in chat helps new players know what is legal and illegal considering most don't take the time to go on the forums and read all the rules.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  2. Coelho

Coelho Onis_Luck Elder

This was changed to decrease the spam in chat.
    Instead of actively telling players about bans, it may be worthwhile creating a passive alternative, where they can check the recent bans if they want to.

3. HotAsianBeans

HotAsianBeans Celebrity Meeper

Sounds good to me

4. metr0n0me

metr0n0me Legendary Meeper

Public bans are useful for setting examples out of others. For example, if someone says ads in chat, and gets banned, the nuisance of ads have gone away. However, if a player were to see this happen, and no ban was issued (he thinks) this gives the impression that ads are ok. While ads are a pretty unambiguous ban, things that differ from server to server (language, griefing, hacking, etc.) are useful to show players what happens to them should they yell obscenities in shout. I think this is especially applicable because of the influx of new players coming into the server.

5. Muunkee

Muunkee Legendary art supply hoarder

there should be a chat option that can turn seeing bans on/off, with default off.

buildmaster1000x and legendcaleb like this.
  6. metr0n0me

Default should be on for reasons listed above.

Although the toggle would be nice.

LadyCassandra and leodavinci9000 like this.
  7. xT3Kx

xT3Kx Retired AF Elder

Back in the day we had a forum for our bans. We logged then privately though. I'd say a forum with threads detailing each players ban and possibly proof would be a start in the right direction.

8. SillySilver

SillySilver Celebrity Meeper

I like this idea! Its useful whenever you have reported someone, and you want to be sure that punishment is served.

9. KariStar86

KariStar86 Heroine of Time

All the things that cause spam that come directly from MeepCraft and you choose kicks and bans? LOL.

I do like your proposed compromise, because it means kicks and bans would still be public, and thus there would still be some accountability for staff (and some deterrent for players, because they don't want be embarrassed by a kick or ban, which is a big factor in why some people avoid bad behavior). :) But I'm concerned by the point metr0n0me raised, which I also brought up several months ago, before I was staff (and when I argued very strongly against this):

If kicks and bans aren't going to be immediately public, then the rules and their location MUST be crystal clear, and MeepCraft MUST encourage new players to read them as enthusiastically as it encourages them to donate for a rank or vote for the server.

Anything less, and we're punishing players for not knowing rules that we never told them about, and that's unacceptable.

10. Bloopers

Bloopers Legendary Meeper

/seen could show bans like it used to

Toostenheimer likes this.
  11. metr0n0me

If you want to reduce spam why don't you remove welcome messages and the Official Meeper thing?

LadyCassandra and ohDraqq. like this.
  12. Coelho

Coelho Onis_Luck Elder

As I said in game, introducing new players is priority #1.

13. Muunkee

Can we make it so when Monkeyhead1999 completes the tutorial, only monkeyhead1999 sees the official meeper thing? No spam!

jmelara and leodavinci9000 like this.
  14. Bloopers

Bloopers Legendary Meeper

How about you only see the welcome and official meeper msg in spawn?

Also, how about you only see ban and kick messages from the world you are in?

leodavinci9000 and metr0n0me like this.
  15. Dockson

Dockson Celebrity Meeper

Or "Apply for staff on the forums" which is totally not needed as a global announcement.
    I agree with kari,metro, hab by the way.

16. Muunkee

Why from the same world? Then like 75% of offenses will be unnecessarily reported. It may not be annoying at first, but it will get old fast.

StopResetting and metr0n0me like this.
  17. Coelho

Coelho Onis_Luck Elder

Players breaking the rules are not relevant to only a single world, especially due to the fact that everything in MeepCraft is cross-server.

Fuzzlr, metr0n0me and RaidByNightOnly like this.
  18. metr0n0me

I really think this is worth the spam. If you want to increase server revenue, you want to get people familiar enough with the server that they think it's worth it to donate. If someone (any decent person) were to log onto Meepcraft and see someone say the N-word in shout, and then not see a ban, they'll get repulsed and leave. I've done this on many servers, without remorse.

19. Zer0000000000

Zer0000000000 Popular Meeper

I like seeing the bans and kicks. It's showing the community what not to do. Also I feel enjoyment when I see someone get kicked/banned for something. Only me?

20. Grandblue

Grandblue Celebrity Meeper

-1, just make a sign at the spawn with the 100 most recent bans. I would check it often :)

hippapajo likes this.