1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

A simple guide to mining in the wild

Discussion in 'Unofficial Guides' started by KaiUsesThis, Feb 17, 2016.

1. KaiUsesThis

KaiUsesThis Celebrity Meeper

A very simple visual/written guide to help split 5 different sections, to help you maximize efficiency in the wild when mining.

For those people with Elite, you can utilize some of the commands that you have, such as /nv.

1. Preparations

- Items

- Preparation Do's and Donts'

2. Location

3. What to do and what not to do

4. Techniques

- Organization

- Ores

5. Selling

- Shop price comparison and list

1. Preparation:

Items:

In order to properly mine, you'll need some proper tools, and enough items. I usually mine in 1 hour intervals, to prevent my inventory from getting full

Bring:

Pickaxe (preferably diamond)
    At least 2 stacks of torches (considering you don't have /nv)
    Sword (preferably diamond)
    Bow and Arrows
    Bucket
    A sense of adventure

Do:

Pack enough torches
    Empty your inventory of junk before starting
    Have your tools almost fully repaired
    Have a plan (How much time am I going to spend down there? What ores am I looking for?)
    Go with a friend (It's lots of fun)
    Bring a water bucket
    Have a silk touch pick for spawners
    Bring armor
    Bring some healing potions
    Bring as little items as needed
    Bring wood

Don't:

Overthink everything
    Bring too many items
    Spend too much money getting ready

2. Location

/warp wild, wander around looking for ravines and caves before warping again. Don't get distracted...

Ravines will generally lead to more caves, so try to look for those. Digging a tunnel should be your last option.

3. Techniques

Once you've found a location, you can begin mining. (Finally!) But you need to consider your technique.

For a more safer approach, (ideal for people that are bad with mobs or are new), I'd recommend strip mining. Press F3 on your keyboard and find the Y axis, which should increase and decrease when you jump up a block or jump down. Ideal level for mining is level 11 or 12, but bedrock works fine as well.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND USING A SILK TOUCH OR FORTUNE PICKAXE, YOU'LL GET A LOT MORE MONEY!

Strip Mining:

Many people have different techniques for strip mining, but at it's simplest, strip mining is simply digging a 2 block tall tunnel in 1 general direction to find ores.

My recommendation for this is to dig a straight tunnel, in one direction, then, on the sides, every 5-6 blocks dig straight into the side of the tunnel at head level as far as your pickaxe will go. This way, you can check a big area for ores, without having to dig out that area.

Here's an example:
    (missing image)

Caving:

Caving is very simple: explore a cave while putting torches on the side to light it up. Sounds simple, but very risky. Armour and proper supplies are a must have.
    [​IMG]
    Preparation is important

[​IMG]
    When caving make sure to mark the direction you came from with two torches, like so.

[​IMG]
    Be prepared for mobs, and kill them upon sight.

[​IMG]
    Be aware of your surroundings and make sure to prevent tall ledges

[​IMG]
    Use water to turn lava in obsidian

Ores:
    [​IMG]
    Try to mine all the iron ore you can, it's worth 55 a piece. (More info on that in the selling section)

(missing image)
    Don't bother with coal, it's literally worthless.

[​IMG]
    Don't get distracted ;)

4. Selling

Selling can be done at a number places, including chest shops, vshop, and the donator shop.

(missing)
    Citizens get access to some ores

(missing)
    Iron worth more than 3k a stack. You'll usually get atleast 3 stacks of iron in an hour, which is 9k.

(also missing)
    Don't forget to use Fortune III on ores to get more out of them

Shop List:

(none yet, reply for your shop to be added.)
    Price comparison:

Iron Ore:

55/Piece @ Donator Shop (/warp shop)
    Diamonds:

400/Piece @ Donator Shop (/warp shop)
    Gold can be sold at the bank for 100 a piece.

Lapis:
    Redstone Ore:
    Thanks for reading! Any and all constructive feedback is appreciated! <3 Have a good one!
    Minecraft doesn't seem to be letting me take any screenshots, as soon as I fix this I'll add this missing pictures. The guide seems to be fine as it is without them.

TL;DR

Silk diamond, emerald.
    Fortune anything else.
    Max profit.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Trexy likes this.
  2. Muunkee

Muunkee Legendary art supply hoarder

Silk diamond, emerald.
    Fortune anything else.
    Max profit.

KaiUsesThis and Lilstokes like this.
  3. Lilstokes

Lilstokes Celebrity Meeper

You get iron ore either way. And also, why use silk on diamonds and emeralds?

4. Muunkee

Muunkee Legendary art supply hoarder

idk why I put iron there, I edited it out.
    Diamons and emerald ore, emerald especially, are worth well more than the mineral. If you get 2 diamond out of mining 1 ore with a fort pick, you could have profited better if you silked it as I've seen diamond ores sell for over 1K. Emerald ores are crazy, pretty rare, and therefore expensive.

5. CluelessKlutz

CluelessKlutz Badmin

I would have to disagree with the worth of coal. It certainly depends on your location. If you're on Y-Axis 34, for example, not even worth the time. But I myself have found many diamond veins by mining away coal. Plus, it stores easy in block form. Another note, it is well-established among miners, but one of the oldest tricks in the book for caving is placing torches on the right hand side, as to keep from getting lost. Not as helpful when you can just do /spawn, but keeps you from wandering in circles when you come back.

KaiUsesThis likes this.