1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

A More Realistic Economy

Discussion in 'Completed' started by Sarge926, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Sarge926

Sarge926 Celebrity Meeper

Synopsis of the Economy in the Past
    I have been wanting to point this out lately, but I have never had the time for it.

The idea that has been "abolished", was a player side economy. The players would control the economy in a variety of ways: Changing the demand for certain items, increasing and lowering the prices for general items, etc. The prices for different items fluctuate quite often. This is how Meepcraft used to be, with the VSHOP plugin.

What different about it now?

Now, a Meeble has a set value, which basically generalizes that there is little to no price changes. Everything has a price that will not change. By doing this, the server insures that the economy will not collapse, which is why this is still in affect today. But why?

The mistakes made in the past. Prices of items used to be insane, but the amount of money that people processed was even crazier. People would make tons of money by just simply digging holes and selling the stone, eventually becoming a millionaire. Eventually, the staff decided that /jobs was no longer a good idea, and might as well have been called an exploit. People were constantly looking for loopholes to becoming the next Rockefeller, thus corrupting the economy.

Then, the new MeepShop came, and sure enough, the set prices for everything went down because of the high demand for selling items. This was a good stabilization to the economy, but then removed for an unknown reason.

My Suggestion
    Allow the economy to fluctuate. Right now, the economy is going down a small narrow endless hallway, not changing direction at all. The economy needs excitement. By allowing the economy to do so, you will find yourself with a few conflicts. However, you will begin to see more and more people attempting to be the "rich person" on Meepcraft. With proper adjustments and set restrictions, the economy should be able to roam freely. The economy already has a global tax implemented, which is a present day huge restriction. Many other restrictions could be added too, but I find it being irrelevant to the general topic.

Additional thoughts
    If the economy is able to roam, so should the amount of donating for meebles. With calculations, a set price could be a certain percentage of a calculation for an aspect of the economy, thus people will donate in both an inflation or a deflation.

This suggestion would be a huge change to the server. I don't expect it to actually be implemented. I am just bringing it into consideration and thought.

~Sarge926

2. EnergyAssassin

EnergyAssassin nerd Staff Member Administrator

This sounds really cool! However, virtual shops crush community. There should be a /warp shop, which is well built and functional. It could have fluctuating prices, and not use THOSE CARPETS. However, two big things that should definitely be implemented is stock, and tiered items. This shop should have an initial stock, and regular refills, but rely mostly on players for the items it has. Also, it would be beneficial to have certain items available to only certain ranks, so that shop perks aren't eliminated like they were with meepshop.

3. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

I'm not following, what is the suggestion, exactly?

4. Jwarian

Jwarian Celebrity Meeper

I lol'd at him saying he doesn't know why meepshop was removed.

What if we just brought vshop back? That would probably accomplish everything you want.............

legendcaleb likes this.
  5. Khafra

Khafra Celebrity Meeper

Yeah let's bring meepshop back! It totally didn't screw up the economy!

6. Sarge926

The suggestion is basically having a way to let general prices of items adjusts gradually from time to time. There are many approaches towards a solution to this. I was hoping that some other members would present their opinion that could possibly cause the prices of items to change.

Some simple ideas include :
    The global taxes fluctuate at a given range
    Change the demand for certain items occasionally (This could be done in numerous ways)

Simple ideas could lead to larger changes, such as:
    Remaking "/warp shop" with a plugin that changes the items sold on regular intervals, establishing a quick demand for certain items. This could go as far as "Black Friday". You may say that this could corrupt the economy, but this situation could be easily resolved with the global taxes rising greatly on irregular intervals, neutralizing the economy to it's general state.

Thus, if we plan correctly for having the prices for items change, we should think it out before implementing it. The only limit is the amount of "push" this suggestion gets.

7. DarkWarriorX5

DarkWarriorX5 Popular Meeper

:) this will be denied, don't get me wrong I agree with you and stuff but they're already releasing a meep shop or a different type of it or shop or something like that again.

8. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

The next planned economic update is MeepDelivery, which will allow people with chest-shops to sell on a global market with a new chest-shop as well. This will allow players to run chest shops which can sell to you as you sit in your town spawn leisurely. When you buy it will find the lowest price, but who is selling it will not be revealed.

Would this be something that might be considered to fit in with your idea?

Lilliya and DarkWarriorX5 like this.
  9. DarkWarriorX5

Meepshop that's it.. Glad I remembered it by myself :)

10. Sarge926

I would consider it to coincide my idea. However, I have some quick additional thoughts for the upcoming "MeepDelivery". Noting that it is partially called a delivery, thus an easier way to sell items at the player's ease, there should be some sort of sales tax for it. For example, a player sells one diamond for 500 meebles. Let's demonstrate a sales tax of 0.04 or 4%. When the diamond is sold to the buyer for 500 meebles, the seller receives 480 meebles.

*Note that the sales tax will not directly effect the fluctuation of item prices, but will allow easy and effective control over the economy as an Administrator

EDIT: I am interested for more information and details about MeepDelivery to discuss, if possible!

11. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

How about this: There will be two options. You can sell locally through your chest-shop. Or you can sell globally for an added X% fee, split by the seller and buyer 50%

IE:

Selling 1 stone locally for 1 meeble.
    Selling 1 stone globally for 1 meeble + 10% fee. Seller pays 5%, buyer pays 5%

http://meepcraft.com/threads/meepdelivery.36517/

* Keep in mind any numbers discussed are simply place-holders.

Deljikho likes this.
  12. DarkWarriorX5

.. I know there's something wrong with that. Can't figure out wat though.. Feels... Wrong

13. victor

victor Meeper

I like this good idea :)

14. Sarge926

After viewing the thread, and your idea, I agree with the idea. I noticed this part of the thread:

Fees
    We will be charging, for this service, a 30% fee to all Citizens and a 20% fee to all donators on top of the item cost. This is subject to change.

With your example, there may be some conflicts with the fees, especially if they are planning to implement different sales taxes for different ranks. How will that work?

15. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

My idea would be MeepDelivery, and again the initial numbers quoted there are only placeholders, it's an idea that is very fluid, and I'm not sure of the particulars.

16. EnergyAssassin

EnergyAssassin nerd Staff Member Administrator

It seems silly to charge a fee when people can just scour shops for the best price. This system shouldn't tacked on to a broken system, it should be a different one. Or at least that's what I think.

17. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

It doesn't seem silly to reward those who put the work in, it is pretty safe to say that in most cases you would save money if you spent time looking for the best price instead of buying the first one that pops up.

18. DarkWarriorX5

Man your so cool
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 25, 2015, Original Post Date: Mar 25, 2015 ---
    Man* your so cool Deinen*

19. Jwarian

Jwarian Celebrity Meeper

Are we really supposed to believe you guys on "meepdelivery"?
    It's been a year since I heard onis first talk about it, and its been four months since onis said it was coming soon.
    I think unbanning VKL is a better idea than betting on "meepdelivery".
    Not to mention, EVERY issue with vshop will still apply to ^

20. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

No, but I would hope you would have enough faith in me personally to know that if I believe it's down the road, there must be a decent reason as to why. :)

Sarge926 and Jwarian like this.