1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Is God real?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by n00bslayer_99, Nov 11, 2014.

1. MoonlitMadness

MoonlitMadness Celebrity Meeper

Not really. im just saying, the reason why people have certain religions is due to the fact that that's what they were taught. I was taught that god was real, and ive had my own issues with that. God gives us "free will" as stated in the bible. I honestly don't care what you do, as long as im treated how you wanna be treated. God stands back and watches you make your OWN descisions, he doesn't determine you :)

2. TheDebatheist

TheDebatheist Popular Meeper

But... you're only defending the Christian god because you were raised that way. As you said yourself. If you were raised in the Middle East, you'd be defending Allah. Your belief in a god is not tied to what's true, it's tied to mere geography.

3. Enron

Enron Celebrity Meeper

So basically God is like a guy who watches a building burning down, and hears the people in it screaming to be rescued, but ignores it and doesn't call the fire department because "They can make their OWN decisions and rescue themselves".

4. TheDebatheist

That's exactly why I believe almost every Christian is more moral than their god.

A god will watch a paedophile mercilessly rape and murder innocent children. Saying to himself, "For now, I'll let you wreak havoc on other humans, but when you're done? I'm going to punish you.". I couldn't do that. I couldn't just sit and watch such horrific injustice. I'd step in and try and save the life of the child. As would most people, I imagine. Christians included.

5. MoonlitMadness

That's exactly right actually despite how bad it sounds. When people die they go into God's kingdom. Things happen for a reason ;)

6. TheDebatheist

Yes, it makes your god sound like a sociopath. I wouldn't want to be friends with anyone like that. That would stand and watch innocent children get raped to death. Let alone worship them.

Well, according to the Dawn that lives in the West, right? The Dawn of the Middle East knows you're wrong. The Dawn in India knows you're both wrong. etc etc

Enron likes this.
  7. MoonlitMadness

Please explain to me how there are people exactly like me on other places? I'm me. Nobody else is. That's faulty logic sir. Nobody really "knows" on this topic. Basically it's debating opinions

8. TheDebatheist

There are literally billions of people claiming that:

"My god is the one true god. Every other religion worships false gods."

You're no different.

It wasn't faulty logic, it was a hypothetical. I don't "get" how you can admit that you only believe in God because of sheer circumstance. While also believing that you're right. Literally billions of people disagree with you and have exactly the same logic. Why are you right, while they are wrong?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 3, 2016, Original Post Date: Jun 3, 2016 ---
    "Any day now." has been said for literally thousands of years.

Please don't take this personally, but we need justification for why you believe. The reasons. All you've done thus far is describe your faith. Give us the reasons as to why we should believe as you do.

1) Do you care whether or not your beliefs are true?

2) If so, what is the primary reason you believe in a god?

3) If I were to show that this reason is invalid, would you stop believing? If not, what would it take to change your mind?

Enron likes this.
  9. Kakorrhaphio

Kakorrhaphio Meeper

Do you believe in life after death?

10. Sbaxman12

Sbaxman12 Popular Meeper

There are different religions for a reason; so debates like this don't happen in one religion. People of different religions believe in different things, and are happy with what they believe in, and there lives are better because they don't feel forced to believe it. And they want others to be happy like them, so they share it with others, but sometimes others arent satisfied so they don't agree, and that's ok. But I really think everyone has there own beliefs and there own opinions, and we need to respect that.

CluelessKlutz likes this.
  11. TheDebatheist

Who's this question directed to? Me?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 4, 2016, Original Post Date: Jun 4, 2016 ---
    I don't respect the view that some people deserve to be burned forever in agony. Or that women should be subservient to men. Or that we should live in theocracies.

What you've just said is something straight out of a Disney movie mate :( People hold some really nasty values. Some genuinely want to hurt other people, and they don't want to live in a tolerant, diverse and peaceful society. Some beliefs and opinions are dangerous and harmful. Which means I think they should be opposed.

Do you support slavery? The subjugation of women? The oppression of non-believers and other minorities? Is it okay to oppose these things? Should we respect them?

A racist believes in "different things". Should we just accept his belief that some races are inherently inferior to others as well?

Enron likes this.
  12. Jellobean1

Jellobean1 Active Meeper

Kakor if this question is for me then yes I do believe in life after death.

13. Kakorrhaphio

Kakorrhaphio Meeper

Just wanted to say that our current knowledge of neuroscience and how the brain works completely disproves life after death.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  14. Jellobean1

Jellobean1 Active Meeper

Maybe so but when we die and all the dead will come back in their healthiest adult or child stage in life. meaning our bodies will be healed and we will be healthy and we will be born again.

15. TheDebatheist

Why do you believe this, Jello?

Enron and Ranger0203 like this.
  16. Jellobean1

Jellobean1 Active Meeper

One reason I do is because I was born into the church. another is because I was taught it and the third is because I can feel it. plus wouldn't it be nice if we could live again where there is no evil ever for a thousand years? I think would do.

17. TheDebatheist

@Jellobean1 -- One reason I do is because I was born into the church.

That's how you came to believe it. I'm asking for *why* you believe it to be true.

For example: If I believed in Aliens, I could say, "I believe in Aliens because I was born into the religion of Scientology". That's told you what led me to believe in Aliens. But it hasn't told you the reasons why I think Aliens are real. Does that make sense?

another is because I was taught it

Same thing here. Why do you believe it to be true?

and the third is because I can feel it.

Does "feeling something" make it true?

plus wouldn't it be nice if we could live again where there is no evil ever for a thousand years? I think would do.

But not everything that's nice is true. The universe doesn't owe you "nice" things. There are millions of things that arn't nice, but are real. Just because something is nice, it doesn't mean that this exists.

Enron, n00bslayer_99 and Ranger0203 like this.
  18. Jellobean1

Jellobean1 Active Meeper

I'm just done. I'm tired of your complaints. i knew I shouldn't have posted that comment. You will see soon enough when your judged by god to see if you'll go to heaven or not according to your sins. if you know I'm right and your rejecting it.that is one place you will go. To Satan, The devil, Lucifer.

19. TheDebatheist

Wow. Such hatred. Where did that come from?

To reject something, it has to be true. All I'm doing is asking you to show me that it's true. If I'm wrong, I want to know. I want you to tell and **explain** to me why I'm wrong. Prove me wrong. Show me the light.

To do as you do, what if I said... "I know that there is no god. Why? I can *feel* it! You will see soon enough, Jello. When you die. You know I'm right, that there is no god. You're just rejecting it. This is where you will go, into the ground. As worm food."

All I've done there, is swap my opinion for yours, but with the exactly same reasoning. You "feel" it", I "feel" it. Who's right? How do you know? Is this how you act in day-to-day life? Do you make decisions based on what "feels" best to you? Or do you gather all the information you have, all the evidence, then act according to it?

Enron, Ranger0203 and n00bslayer_99 like this.
  20. ShadowVirus52

ShadowVirus52 Celebrity Meeper

I am Catholic just like the majority of Ireland. There are two things you will find in every small village here, a church and a pub. I don't care if you believe in no god, one god or multiple gods.

Once you start to judge someone upon their religious beliefs, that is the moment you need a good slap around the head. And i'd be happy to do this for you

Ranger0203 likes this.