1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Is God real?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by n00bslayer_99, Nov 11, 2014.

1. SirGiggly

SirGiggly Celebrity Meeper

You can not be all just and all benevolent as they are contradictory, and there is something that you don't know that you don't know so you can't be omniscient. God could just be a narcissist as any being that powerful would be so it really isn't proof against him.

2. FreePineapples

FreePineapples Meeper

i don't think a minecraft page should be right to discuss this. just saying ;)

3. SirGiggly

It is the debate section, people are free to not read or post here if they wish to. As the debate section is one of the most active sections I would say you are factually incorrect.

4. Ranger0203

Ranger0203 Celebrity Meeper

Matthew 19:26 ESV / 159 helpful votes
    But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Luke 1:37 ESV / 126 helpful votes
    For nothing will be impossible with God.”

Jeremiah 32:27 ESV / 94 helpful votes
    “Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is anything too hard for me?

Psalm 147:5 ESV / 94 helpful votes
    Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure.

Isaiah 40:28 ESV / 91 helpful votes
    Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable.

Job 42:2 ESV / 74 helpful votes
    “I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.

Mark 10:27 ESV / 46 helpful votes
    Jesus looked at them and said, “With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God.”

Romans 1:20 ESV / 33 helpful votes
    For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

Isaiah 44:24 ESV / 25 helpful votes
    Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, who formed you from the womb: “I am the Lord, who made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who spread out the earth by myself,

Hebrews 1:3 ESV / 24 helpful votes
    He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

Revelation 19:6 ESV / 23 helpful votes
    Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out, “Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns.

Jeremiah 10:12 ESV / 23 helpful votes
    It is he who made the earth by his power, who established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding stretched out the heavens.

Daniel 2:20-22 ESV / 22 helpful votes
    Daniel answered and said: “Blessed be the name of God forever and ever, to whom belong wisdom and might. He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding; he reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells with him.

Ephesians 1:19-22 ESV / 18 helpful votes
    And what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church,

1 Corinthians 1:25 ESV / 14 helpful votes
    For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

Romans 4:17 ESV / 14 helpful votes
    As it is written, “I have made you the father of many nations”—in the presence of the God in whom he believed, who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist.

Amos 4:13 ESV / 14 helpful votes
    For behold, he who forms the mountains and creates the wind, and declares to man what is his thought, who makes the morning darkness, and treads on the heights of the earth— theLord, the God of hosts, is his name!

Philippians 4:13 ESV / 13 helpful votes
    I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Romans 8:28-29 ESV / 13 helpful votes
    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

Daniel 4:35 ESV / 13 helpful votes
    All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, and he does according to his will among the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay his hand or say to him, “What have you done?”

Job 37:23 ESV / 13 helpful votes
    The Almighty—we cannot find him; he is great in power; justice and abundant righteousness he will not violate.

Mark 14:36 ESV / 12 helpful votes
    And he said, “Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”

Matthew 10:29 ESV / 12 helpful votes
    Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father.

Isaiah 45:7 ESV / 11 helpful votes
    I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the Lord, who does all these things.

Revelation 1:1-20 ESV / 10 helpful votes
    The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who bore witness to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw. Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near. John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood ...

Job 36:26 ESV / 9 helpful votes
    Behold, God is great, and we know him not; the number of his years is unsearchable.

Exodus 35:1-35 ESV / 9 helpful votes
    Moses assembled all the congregation of the people of Israel and said to them, “These are the things that the Lord has commanded you to do. Six days work shall be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death. You shall kindle no fire in all your dwelling places on the Sabbath day.” Moses said to all the congregation of the people of Israel, “This is the thing that the Lord has commanded. Take from among you a contribution to the Lord. Whoever is of a generous heart, let him bring the Lord's contribution: gold, silver, and bronze; ...

Genesis 1:1 ESV / 9 helpful votes
    In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.

Psalm 139:1-24 ESV / 8 helpful votes
    To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. ...

Psalm 84:11 ESV / 8 helpful votes
    For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.

Deuteronomy 32:39 ESV / 8 helpful votes
    “‘See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.

Genesis 1:26 ESV / 8 helpful votes
    Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

Genesis 1:17 ESV / 8 helpful votes
    And God set them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth,

Genesis 1:7 ESV / 8 helpful votes
    And God made the expanse and separated the waters that were under the expanse from the waters that were above the expanse. And it was so.

James 1:27 ESV / 7 helpful votes
    Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

Romans 15:13 ESV / 7 helpful votes
    May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

John 5:1-47 ESV / 7 helpful votes
    After this there was a feast of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, in Aramaic called Bethesda, which has five roofed colonnades. In these lay a multitude of invalids—blind, lame, and paralyzed. One man was there who had been an invalid for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there and knew that he had already been there a long time, he said to him, “Do you want to be healed?” ...

Amos 2:4 ESV / 7 helpful votes
    Thus says the Lord: “For three transgressions of Judah, and for four, I will not revoke the punishment, because they have rejected the law of the Lord, and have not kept his statutes, but their lies have led them astray, those after which their fathers walked.

Isaiah 46:10 ESV / 7 helpful votes
    Declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’

Joshua 1:18 ESV / 7 helpful votes
    Whoever rebels against your commandment and disobeys your words, whatever you command him, shall be put to death. Only be strong and courageous.”

John 1:3 ESV / 6 helpful votes
    All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Isaiah 43:13 ESV / 6 helpful votes
    Also henceforth I am he; there is none who can deliver from my hand; I work, and who can turn it back?”

Psalm 139:7-10 ESV / 6 helpful votes
    Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me.

1 Chronicles 29:10-13 ESV / 6 helpful votes
    Therefore David blessed the Lord in the presence of all the assembly. And David said: “Blessed are you, O Lord, the God of Israel our father, forever and ever. Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and you are exalted as head above all. Both riches and honor come from you, and you rule over all. In your hand are power and might, and in your hand it is to make great and to give strength to all. And now we thank you, our God, and praise your glorious name.

Genesis 1:30 ESV / 6 helpful votes
    And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so.

Ephesians 6:10 ESV / 5 helpful votes
    Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might.

John 3:1-16:33 ESV / 4 helpful votes
    Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.” Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?” Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. ...

Isaiah 29:1-24 ESV / 4 helpful votes
    Ah, Ariel, Ariel, the city where David encamped! Add year to year; let the feasts run their round. Yet I will distress Ariel, and there shall be moaning and lamentation, and she shall be to me like an Ariel. And I will encamp against you all around, and will besiege you with towers and I will raise siegeworks against you. And you will be brought low; from the earth you shall speak, and from the dust your speech will be bowed down; your voice shall come from the ground like the voice of a ghost, and from the dust your speech shall whisper. But the multitude of your foreign foes shall be like small dust, and the multitude of the ruthless like passing chaff. And in an instant, suddenly, ...

Job 11:7-11 ESV / 4 helpful votes
    “Can you find out the deep things of God? Can you find out the limit of the Almighty? It is higher than heaven—what can you do? Deeper than Sheol—what can you know? Its measure is longer than the earth and broader than the sea. If he passes through and imprisons and summons the court, who can turn him back? For he knows worthless men; when he sees iniquity, will he not consider it?

Job 33:4 ESV / 2 helpful votes
    The Spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

Would you like to rephrase that?

5. Imperfectly

Imperfectly Celebrity Meeper

CBF reading that. And no.

6. Ranger0203

And you know this how?
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 13, 2015, Original Post Date: Dec 13, 2015 ---
    So you refuse to accept that the god of the bible is omniscient and omnipotent, even when the very same bible that's 'proof' for his existence states, very concisely, that he is omniscient and omnipotent?

7. SirGiggly

I can not possibly

Ranger0203 likes this.
  8. SirCallow

SirCallow Legendary Meeper

9. Ranger0203

Greetings, salutations, and hello.

SirCallow likes this.
  10. Soccer4232

Soccer4232 Popular Meeper

Let me debate you and deconstruct your whole post in order to say why you are wrong and why you shouldn't care.

I will make a whole page of why you are wrong.

First of all when you said in direct quotes said "hi"

Well I think the more correct way to say this is hello, hi is slang in my books and since I don't agree with you, you're wrong.

Also if you care about grammar at all you didn't use any correct punctuation. Instead you should of said

"Hi."

Please if you aren't going to use any grammar you don't have the right to debate.

Supreme_Overlord and SirCallow like this.
  11. Imperfectly

Imperfectly Celebrity Meeper

Please just break your computer.

12. _Smarties910_

_Smarties910_ Popular Meeper

Where is the page? Entertain me.

13. Soccer4232

Soccer4232 Popular Meeper

Lol you don't get the reference. :) :) :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 14, 2015, Original Post Date: Dec 14, 2015 ---
    Well I think that the god that is watching doesn't like the movies and keeps making bad decisions to change it but just keeps making it worst.

14. Ranger0203

SirCallow likes this.
  15. TheDebatheist

TheDebatheist Popular Meeper

Say that with a smile to the thousands that tortured to death, around the world. Millions of people being persecuted, tortured, maimed, maligned, oppressed and murdered. At the hands of your religion, no less. People doing this horrific things in the name of your god.

I can only imagine that you are just ignorant of the sheer amount of suffering that goes on every day, to say something so callous. Think about the diseases that eat away at human flesh. Bugs that burrow their way into the host and eat their eyes from the inside. Imagine having to watch your family go through pain like this. That happens EVERY day. Yet your god does nothing. He's sitting there with a handful of popcorn, seemingly apathetic to human and animal suffering.

If I were a god, I'd do much more than "sit and watch our movie". I'd put an end to cancer. To infectious disease. To inequality and injustice. I am more moral than your god has ever purported to be, and I submit that you (and everyone else here) is too.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  16. Ranger0203

Except he's infinitely benevolent... They just don't add up, do they?

17. Aarett

Aarett Celebrity Meeper

God lets people choose for themselves. No doubt, there is very many very bad things happening in the world, but these are the choices of people, not God.

A gazelle is murdered by a lion. A housecat gets a heart worm and dies. A human is mauled by a bear.

The lion needs the meat in order to live.

The heart worm needs a host in order to survive.

The bear's maternal instincts kick in and she is simply trying to keep her young safe.

These are all parts of life. God takes care of all of the creatures on earth, no matter how we humans classify them. They could be as small as the bacterium living in my belly button. They could be as large as a giraffe. When old life is finished, new life blooms.

I'm sure you would do so much more, but God doesn't. He made it so that you can do anything that you so wish, good or bad. He has given everyone free will. You decide what you do with it.

As for infectious disease, my mother had breastcancer and was cured last year (thank goodness). It would have been absolutely horrible if we had lost her, but she only got closer to God with this encounter.

I very much appreciate that you interject 'everyone', however I cannot help but disagree. With a lack of God, what is there to define morals?

I understand that we have had rather heated debates in the past, however I would like to propose that we keep this civil and both approach with open minds. (Also I already know how you are going to respond to this, and no, you do not always have an open mind. Neither do I thought I will admit) Thanks and good luck

SirCallow likes this.
  18. SirCallow

SirCallow Legendary Meeper

lol

19. Ranger0203

I'm sorry, but this is one of the worst arguments for God I've heard.

God created life in a way that means things are pretty crappy for a lot of living things. Do you disagree?
    Again, God gave us a right to free will ( yay ), but did it in a way that it's possible to ruin other people's lives.
    Your mom almost died, therefore God.
    Why do morals need to be defined? How is that necessary for life to exist?

"We should do this with an open mind" "Neither of us have open minds"

Actually, I do. If someone came up with proof that God exists, I would naturally believe in Him. Whether I would worship, grovel, etc. is another story. (I probably would; life in eternal torment is something nobody wants... oh wait, yet another way God isn't good or just.)

20. Aarett

Aarett Celebrity Meeper

Thank you.

Nope, its something called nature, and natural selection is used to improve upon traits and life in this horrible thing called nature.
    What other way would we be given free will? I left this part very much as an open question because I expect a direct response.
    This was just an example in my life of something bad happening. It was intended as a supporting pillar for my previous point. Bad things happen to good people. There is no stopping it. The way that she took it though DID get her closer to God. Many people would have reacted many different ways, but it will eventually be your time. You don't live on Earth forever, and you cannot condemn God for that.
    We don't need morals to be defined in order for life to exist. Does a bacterium have morals? On the other hand, if you were to discover a small tribe out in the middle of nowhere that has had zero contact with the outside world, they would tell you two things: there is a God, and certain things are wrong (killing, stealing). If morals were defined by us: a civilization of humans, explain to me how they would know that? Morals are the basis of what keeps society from collapsing.

This statement was never intended for you, however I will uphold to it as long as you do. As for your eternal torment, He gave us the choice of eternal life over death, which leads me back to my original argument: free will ( yay ). We are able to choose whether or not we believe in God. Simple as that!