1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

STAFF MESSAGE Server Maintenance & Upgrade to 1.16 on BungeeCord

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by BooBear1227, Jan 2, 2021.

1. BooBear1227

BooBear1227 Sunflower | Always

Hello fellow Meepers,

We hope you all enjoyed the holiday season and had a wonderful New Years Eve / Day. Welcome to 2021!

Meep is currently down for server maintenance and upgrades. We are working to bring you all a better Meep experience as we move away from 1.12 on Lilypad to 1.16 on BungeeCord. Servers and player data are being backed up, after which we will begin work on changing world files to 1.16 and bringing these worlds into a BungeeCord environment. We will then need to do initial testing to make sure everything is good to go for players to join us again.

We do not currently have an ETA as there are some unknowns in this new territory we are adventuring into. In the meantime, we'd love for you to join us here on forums and on our official Discord to engage in conversations and some fun while we wait for Meep to come back. We will continue to send out information on this update in both locations, on this thread and in #server-announcements on Discord.

Join us discussion below: What are you most looking forward to with Meep on 1.16?

We will see you soon, and cannot wait to enjoy 1.16 with all of you!

Best,
    The MeepCraft Staff Team

Photo credit: https://www.bertie.k12.nc.us/cms/lib/NC01911132/Centricity/Domain/1187/Maint1.png

Attached Files:

2. Jinkeloid

Jinkeloid Celebrity Meeper

Hope I will be able to play before my program starts...

Adrian likes this.
  3. pug

pug Celebrity Meeper

over 8 hours since the initial post, how is the upgrade going? any chance of an update? thanks

BooBear1227 and Adrian like this.
  4. 417Mario

417Mario Celebrity Meeper

In anticipation for the 1.16 update I've been drafting most of my builds for my town in that version. In these builds, many of the new blocks, slabs, stairs, and walls are being used. The upgrade will be done long after my school starts back up, so I won't be playing for several hours a day, which I only did because I didn't have much else to do over my break, unfortunately.

5. TheIronSquirel

TheIronSquirel Celebrity Meeper

Howdy, Just curious as to which 1.16 release would we need to use once as set and ready?
    or 1.16.4?

Thank you

Adrian likes this.
  6. Adrian

Adrian Epic Staff Member Administrator

The full server backup is still going and should finish sometime today. From there Admins will need to set up the server and test. Unfortunately, there is not much of an ETA as so much is unknown, we hope to keep you guys as updated as possible and will let you know once more becomes known. If you haven't already, I'd suggest joining our Discord if you haven't already for more info.
    The server will be running in 1.16.4. I do however believe you will be able to connect with any 1.16 client, however I am not 100% sure. If you're setting up your 1.16 client I'd suggest setting it up for 1.16.4 to be safe.

BooBear1227 and TheIronSquirel like this.
  7. andrewrobins

andrewrobins My views are my own.

Will Adrian be Modsquad before release?

8. TheIronSquirel

Thank you
    Appreciate it.

9. SpongeyStar

SpongeyStar Professor in Wumbology

not when I'm alive

10. BooBear1227

UPDATE! :

Our backups finished very early this morning. We are working on cleaning up our backend server and updating worlds to 1.16. Before we went offline, we updated worlds that typically don't change much, such as Parkour, Halo, Boomo, etc. However, we did not have that option with our biggest, and most important world, Towny. Towny is still in the process of updating as it takes quite a while updating every chunk to 1.16 with a world radius of 10,000 blocks. Additionally, we are starting the process of switching over from Lilypad to Bungee. More updates to come.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2021
  11. LordMellow

LordMellow SuperMellow

You were demoted to SuperMod, you aren't in modsquad!

KyloMeep and SpongeyStar like this.
  12. pug

pug Celebrity Meeper

Thanks for all the hard work staff is doing. For those of us who aren't on discord (and aren't intereted in getting on, so please don't say
    "just go join discord") could we please have an update here?
    I understand you may still not have a ETA on completion, just looking for more of a "this is done, this is done, still working on this".

Thanks

SpongeyStar, BooBear1227 and qazini like this.
  13. BooBear1227

All backups have fully completed and we have both local and offsite copies in case of any possible system failure in the coming days. All worlds have been converted to the latest Minecraft version and Towns is currently running on the backend using 1.16.4. There were numerous corrupt chunks in 2 attempts to load up Towny. However, the lovely @EnergyAssassin ran our worlds back through upgrades one by one, and all worlds came out much better due to his efforts.

Our next step was then to look into setting up our Bungee infrastructure and pairing that to Towny. We had a few issues with the backend configuration with this initially, but we resolved those issues last night. @CluelessKlutz migrated our permissions from an old system to one that is in line with Bungee. We are in the process of going through those permissions to remove outdated ones and add in new ones with all of the new plugins we are having to configure.

Additionally, we ran into issues with one of our first choice chat plugins, MultiChat, and Towny Chat conflicting with each other. We have found a new plugin and are working to get that configured with all of our necessary channels and setting it up to look like our Meep chat. This is almost done, and we should be able to port similar settings for this into other servers when we are ready to stand them up.

Last night, we also have now configured our forums email to correctly send password reset requests and the like! This will help tremendously in also sending out bulletins to players if they wish to receive them. :)

We are currently working on getting important player and plugin data ported over for Jobs, Eco, Towny, etc. (Fear not, your towns, items, and money are all safe!) Our next steps are to continue working with updating Jobs, looking into our new ModReq and consequences systems, and setting up the World permissions. Most of our staff team has been quite busy adding in additional 1.13-1.16 details into spawns and worlds to give them new blocks.

We will then put our efforts into standing up Spawn and the Resources world. :)

We still do not have an ETA for reopening, but we look forward to seeing you all back and enjoying Meep soon!

14. pug

pug Celebrity Meeper

Thank you very much for the update. :)

SpongeyStar, BooBear1227 and qazini like this.
  15. TheIronSquirel

Thank you so much!
    I feel so relieved knowing my 5,437,890,623,158,789,865.00 is safe and in good hands.

16. pug

pug Celebrity Meeper

Anything new to report on the update front? It's hurting my ego to see the game login keep telling me that I am not worthy. :)

qazini, Adrian and BooBear1227 like this.
  17. BooBear1227

UPDATE! ( @pug )

Our Bungee infrastructure is up and working now! In addition to Towny, we now have Spawn setup, but we need to work on getting WorldGuard region permissions set up. Additionally, we have some features returning to spawn that need to be set up. @AdrianIsEpic, @andrewrobins , and @SpongeyStar are working on adding and updating some blocks and cool features from 1.13-1.16. We are encountering some issues with our WorldEdit plugin, but we are trying to overcome those obstacles.

Our warping, teleportation, /spawn, portals, and /homes plugins are up and working. We need to work on importing homes from the old system to the new system. We have a /pwarp plugin that we like and need to work on configuring it and transfering what we can from the old system to the new system. @EnergyAssassin worked on migrating our Eco data. We now have a correctly formatted file to then upload to the database, which is doing so right now. Jobs is setup in Towny, and we will set it up in Resources/Wild once we get that stood up. We are implementing a plugin that will sync player data files (inventories, echests, etc) across worlds. We need to work on pulling old data files into the new plugin and database.

We have a new chat plugin that is working great with all of the channels that we need. We are making minor adjustments to different settings as we are learning the new features it comes with. Our ModReq system has been configured, and we are testing it out. We need to work on our consequences system to get it correctly configured on Bungee and on multiple servers. Our Broadcasting announcement system (things that tell you to go to warps and file modreqs etc) has been redone. However, we need to look into a couple of bugs with it.

After we migrated permissions to our new system, we needed to clean up things that no longer exist and also add in permissions for new features. We are still in the process of going through those permissions to remove outdated ones and add in new ones with all of the new plugins we are continuing to configure.

We cannot provide an ETA for reopening, but are working our hardest to get everything set up so we can invite you all back.

I will try my best to add more frequent updates here. :)

NotRyqn, qazini, smk and 5 others like this.
  18. pug

pug Celebrity Meeper

"Our Broadcasting announcement system (things that tell you to go to warps and file modreqs etc) has been redone. However, we need to look into a couple of bugs with it."

don't you mean unintended features? That was always our line of BS back when I was programming (in C, that's how long ago it was).
    "that's not a bug, it's an unintended feature."

Thanks for the update, keep up the good work. Sounds like you all have done a ton of work on this.

19. ubersp00n

ubersp00n Popular Meeper

Can't wait guys. Been a long time since I logged on! Im sure many resets happened.

BooBear1227, Adrian and andrewrobins like this.
  20. BooBear1227

Here are some updates regarding Meep on 1.16.4!

We have Spawn, Towns, and Wild/Resource up and running. All worlds (3 per server for Normal, Nether, and The End) have their world borders in place. Towny Normal has been increased to a 12k radius for new world exploration. @CluelessKlutz has been working on getting Dynmap updated for Towny.

@AdrianIsEpic , @andrewrobins , @SpongeyStar , and @qazini have worked to get our dungeon area in Spawn set up with prizes for getting to different areas in the dungeon.

We are set up with the majority of plugins we consider to be critical to reopening. A lot of effort has gone into updating and configuring all of the plugins to make sure they are where they need to be. We are ready to go with our chat, mail, warps/portals, teleporting, RTP (in Wild), homes, modreqs, and moderation plugins. Jobs still needs some configuration changes and updates. We have been able to successfully migrate economy data, PlayerWarps, homes, and bans.

The Eco plugin still needs to be synced across worlds. The PlayerWarps plugin needs some configuration to correctly work. Additionally, we are working on getting Towny player data files to sync cross server so that you can have cross server inventories, experience, enderchests, etc. A huge THANK YOU to @EnergyAssassin for getting all of the previous data migrated over to our new plugins.

A lot of behind the scenes plugins, region creation, server maintenance has been done to make sure Meep continues to run well.

Until today, Meep was restricted to Super+ staff because of plugin configurations and server settings. Our staff team is now running through and testing commands of different permission levels to make sure things work. Staff found a few bugs with VShop and ChestShops that we will be taking a look into.

Over the past week, we've rebuilt Meep from the ground up, carrying over only a few plugins and player data. It has been a push, but everyone is doing their part. We can see the finish line in sight. We just have a few more things before we can open back up. We will be bringing Meep back to you very soon! (No ETA yet)
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 12, 2021, Original Post Date: Jan 12, 2021 ---
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Separate Update:
    Not a big update for today as there were quite a few struggles with permissions and some plugins. Fear not though, 95% of these issues either have a resolution or a work around. We have a list of things to be done that we are prioritizing. No ETA on opening to everyone yet, but I can assure you the staff team is putting in a lot of hours and tons of effort to keep checking things off. We hope to have a large update for you tomorrow. :)

KyloMeep, pug, Pluto258 and 5 others like this.