1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Remove diamond mining

Discussion in 'Denied' started by legendcaleb, Apr 5, 2020.

1. legendcaleb

legendcaleb Celebrity Meeper

There is no excuse for people who xray or in my case, bug abuse, but there have been an abnormal amount of people who have resorted to extraneous methods in order to mine diamonds in the overworld. Simply put, they are too rare. However, just the fact they exist makes people overly frustrated and the game exceeds the point of being "extreme" and just becomes too grindy. There are 2 options here.

The first option is to increase the diamond ore rate, but I don't personally like this strategy because it makes iron gear worthless and I don't think everyone having full diamond is enjoyable. And even then, diamond lower than Vanilla diamond rates is inversely proportional to the amount of people who will cheat. I don't believe it is entirely the fault of those who xray and bug abuse that they ended up doing that. I am almost positive there are others who are currently doing in on the server and just have not been caught yet, and that fact alone already disrupts the balance between iron and diamond gear.

The second option is to remove diamond mining entirely. The amount of people with diamond roughly stays the same except there is no point in xray as they no longer exist. Acquring diamonds can be exclusively from dungeon mob drops or special "diamond mines" throughout the world that can be competed over by various towns. These are just suggestions but removing the vanilla process of mining diamonds will drastically remove the motivation for xray. Xray definitely can't be justified, but you have to look at what exactly the incentives are, and they're quite manageable, but currently nothing is being done to address it. It's not entirely the fault of the player.

It's not extreme, it's needlessly grindy.

riri30, Epicdude141, smk and 8 others like this.
  2. Viperfan

Viperfan Celebrity Meeper Staff Member Game Designer

this idea sounds pretty interesting, adds a good amount of competitiveness to the game as people can fight for the diamonds
    +1

3. IFartOnChilren

IFartOnChilren Celebrity Meeper Elder

I’m starting to like just getting rid of diamond mining all together. It’s an absolutely crazy idea and I doubt it would happen but idk. It’s different.

#FreeJcbetroCalebandShiro

4. bloodyghost

bloodyghost local haunt

This is an interesting suggestion. I like the *concept* of having low diamonds- making diamond gear harder to obtain- but in practice trying to strip mine for diamonds when there is such a low rate borders on anger inducing. I think this suggesting is a little early, as we have not seen the progression of dungeons yet. It has been said a lot more resources can and will be found via these later dungeons.
    However I don't think lack of diamonds is really a great excuse for x-raying. There are many other ways to find diamonds besides simply mining them. People should think out of the box far before they attempt to resort to hacking.

I'm a + for having more ways to obtain diamonds outside of ore spawn buffing, - for removing them from underground altogether, especially just if it's to excuse people who want to x-ray/subvert rules.

5. legendcaleb

legendcaleb Celebrity Meeper

uhhhhh, explain?

Marshy_88 and Pmx728 like this.
  6. bloodyghost

bloodyghost local haunt

I guess "many" was a bit of an exaggeration, but I have had fine luck finding them in mineshaft chests. I do agree more ways should definitely be added.

7. Natsu

Natsu Celebrity Meeper

Excellent suggestion +1

8. builderjunkie012

builderjunkie012 Celebrity Meeper

For the most part, diamond gear in extreme is coming from villagers. E-books are going down the same path as well. When you can trade carrots and potatoes for diamond gear and enchanted books, the spawn rate of diamond ore is really irrelevant. Not to mention, trading with villagers gives xp, so there's not really a need to farm levels in order to use those books on an anvil.

I'm usually of the opinion that the types of people who will x-ray are the types of people who're willing to ruin the game for others, regardless of their "motivations".

I think that dungeons should be the main source of loot such as diamonds, enchanted books, etc. These things can be acquired through other means, but I'd like to see at least a degree of their attainability to be dungeon-centered.

I don't necessarily disagree with your suggestion, but as it stands, I think it's rather pointless. Villagers will single-handedly do more damage to the value of gear than any current game mechanic. I don't think that we're far off from seeing god-book librarians, and I'd imagine that most people with villagers already have blacksmiths with diamond gear. I hope that you've planted some potatoes.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    FatUnicornzz, Natsu, qazini and 4 others like this.
  9. Natsu

Natsu Celebrity Meeper

Although what you are saying is true, villagers in 1.12 only offer diamond chestplates in armor. So there is still considerable value to diamonds

Edit: the thing that really will devalue diamonds is mending.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    BooBear1227 likes this.
  10. builderjunkie012

builderjunkie012 Celebrity Meeper

I think that mending should be fine so long as dungeons remain difficult enough to kill people on a regular basis. Mending doesn't work very well when you lose your stuff routinely *roll safe*.

Natsu likes this.
  11. smk

smk Celebrity Meeper

+1 With the formation of one player shop and a 1% increase in diamonds, we saw diamond value plummet from the value last week (only 30% of what the value last week was; and the economy has inflated since last week -- which means the price went the wrong direction by a lot).

Removing diamond mining would make them rare. Villagers allow for some diamond tools and armor to be available; and honestly if there was only to be villager made tools/armor the game would not be too op, and diamonds would be valuable again.

12. qazini

qazini Neighborhood Panini

Denied. While we are planning on adding diamonds as loot in dungeons, we want to keep the vanilla source as well.

Toostenheimer likes this.