1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Pwarp Sorter (Database)

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by J055Y_, Jun 9, 2018.

1. J055Y_

J055Y_ Celebrity Meeper

Alright... So...

This has been a long time coming, something I have been working on for a while (and still haven't finished 100%), but I feel like this project of mine is in a reasonable state to distribute to the public.

What I have for you today is a dynamic database utilizing PHP, MySQL and JSON (plus a sprinkle of HTML and CSS). I fear that the vast majority of you reading won't have a clue what I'm on about, so I'll break down the functionality of the project (so far):
    • User selects a category
    • A list of all of the Pwarps that fit in that category is presented
    I intend to add other sorting mechanisms that target other criteria (such as Pwarp owner). If you have any ideas as to other methods of Pwarp categorization please let me know :) .

I am also working on a separate form that allows users to add Pwarps to the database. That is currently in development, but I am making good progress on it.

I don't know how many of you will use this, but this was just an idea that came across my mind when I was in the process of looking for places to sell stuff and was unsure of which Pwarps you could sell at.

I am aware the the database is not up to date. I started this project about a month ago and since then their have been drastic changes, as can be seen in SuperDyl's thread here.
    The next time I update the database will be when my database submission form is complete and can be used without fault, so don't rely too heavily on the accuracy of the database at the moment.

Additionally, in future developments I intend to implement AJAX into the forms, so as to avoid SQL looping and page reloads. This will probably roll out about the time that I finish the Pwarp submission form.

Anyway, I'll stop blabbering now and let you see what I have so far. Enjoy! :D

Meepcraft Pwarps

- J055Y_

KaiUsesThis, Vexmae, iKitten and 11 others like this.
  2. Sqreix

Sqreix Celebrity Meeper

Good work! Please add /pwarp votekeys for a buy and sell shop of vote keys in the server!

J055Y_ and SuperDyl like this.
  3. evilalec555

evilalec555 Celebrity Meeper

10/10

J055Y_ likes this.
  4. riri30

riri30 Retired veteran

You sir, are a genius!

J055Y_ and onceuponajano like this.
  5. SpongeyStar

SpongeyStar Professor in Wumbology

nou

that's wicked dude! totally should be pinned and bookmarked and used everywhere anywhere anytime! the background is coolio too.

J055Y_, riri30 and SuperDyl like this.
  6. J055Y_

J055Y_ Celebrity Meeper

Thank you :)

If you like the background, here is the stylesheet for it:

HTML:
    <style>
    .rainbowBG {
        height: 100%;
        width: 100%;
        left:0;
        right: 0;
        top: 0;
        bottom: 0;
        position: absolute;
        background: linear-gradient(124deg, #ff2400, #e81d1d, #e8b71d, #e3e81d, #1de840, #1ddde8, #2b1de8, #dd00f3, #dd00f3);
        background-size: 4000% 4000%; /* The higher it is, the slower the animation */

-webkit-animation: rainbow 30s ease infinite; /* Again, the higher the transition, the longer the animation will take */
      -z-animation: rainbow 30s ease infinite;
      -o-animation: rainbow 30s ease infinite;
        animation: rainbow 30s ease infinite;
    }

@-webkit-keyframes rainbow {
          0%{background-position:0% 82%}
          50%{background-position:100% 19%}
          100%{background-position:0% 82%}
      }
      @-moz-keyframes rainbow {
      }
      @-o-keyframes rainbow {
      }
      @keyframes rainbow {
      }
    </style>
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 18, 2018, Original Post Date: Jun 13, 2018 ---
    Alright, so now I'm home for the Christmas holidays and I decided to get back on to work on the Pwarp Database. I spent today re-scripting the website so as to work asynchronously (AJAX). All this means for the general user is that the page won't refresh every time you change the category option. However it has been a real pain for me, so I'm pretty pleased to have it completed now. You can view the updated page here.

Now, you will probably have noticed that pretty much everything has stayed the same apart from some minor styling which I will continue upon once I have finished writing this post. All of the pwarp data entries are incredibly out of date, which leads me to the next subject of this post.
    As of yet, I am currently undertaking the hardest part of the database system - the admin panel. This panel will be accessible by selected users who will have the ability to enter and remove pwarp data themselves. So, while I am working on the final system, I have created a form for people who would like to have access to the admin panel. You can access the form here.
    I will be going through the form and selecting users based upon a number of factors including their activity, how long they have been a part of the community, and whether or not they are a staff member. None of these factors is a clear indicator as to whether or not you will be selected as a database administrator, so I urge anyone who would like to work with this system to apply on the form.

I am still debating whether to have a system of administrators with the ability to edit and remove any entity in the pwarp table or a different system. Here are some options I have thought of:

• A few selected administrators with the ability to add, edit and remove pwarp data
    • An option for everyone to add pwarp data that will be peer reviewed by an admin before submission to the pwarp table
    • Pwarp owners given the ability to add, edit and remove their own pwarps (this will be the hardest to implement but I'm willing to do it if necessary)

If you have any feedback or other ideas for administration systems, please feel free to leave a reply here or send me a message. :)

Thanks for reading,

- J055Y_

7. KaiUsesThis

KaiUsesThis Celebrity Meeper

The system is really cool and works quite well, I like it! (I don't play anymore, but was pretty addicted when I was younger :p)

Quick feedback on the site: when server-request.php is called to get the list of pwarps, instead of returning HTML in the form of a list, and having to parse that list (ew), it would be waaaaay more efficient for server-request.php to return JSON, and for the code in ajaxStuff.js parse the JSON instead. JSON is the ideal way to communicate with ajax. It'll also help when you start including more data in the response, since it'll be easier to parse.

J055Y_ likes this.
  8. J055Y_

J055Y_ Celebrity Meeper

Yeah I totally agree. The only reason I haven't done that is purely to do with ease. In this stage the system isn't really operational per-say. Think of it as a working draft if you will. Having the php parse a list is much easier for me to troubleshoot and visualize than JSON. I know that's a pretty terrible excuse (lol) but rest assured I will be using JSON to parse the data in the final iteration of this project.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 19, 2018, Original Post Date: Dec 19, 2018 ---
    OK, so brief update:

I have done a little bit of work on the styling, namely creating and implementing a script that changes a background image randomly without sequentially changing the same image in a given sequence. This was a pain to do, and there are still a few quirks that need to be worked out of it, but once that is taken care of I will publish the script either here or on GitHub for those of you who are interested in that sort of stuff.
    Now, as for the images themselves, all I did was hop on to the server and get some screenshots of spawn which aren't particularly artistic; if any of you have cool screenshots with shaders and all that fancy graphical eye candy then please send me some of them (pretty please?). :)
    Now... Onto the admin panel.

NinjaRoxy and KaiUsesThis like this.
  9. WhoNeedsJimbo

WhoNeedsJimbo Popular Meeper

biggie smalls is the illest

10. J055Y_

J055Y_ Celebrity Meeper

Due to issues with my hosting provider, the site (and the rest of my stuff) will be down for a few days. I have begun work on the admin panel having concluded the following structure:
    • User will access pwarp submission panel
    • User will enter data for pwarp
    • System will verify whether the pwarp already exists, if not, then continue to the next step
    • Pwarp submission will be reviewed by one of the database staff (applications still open here)
    • Database staff will see if it meets a list of criteria (namely that it is a real pwarp, is not a troll, doesn't contain any inflammatory or hateful remarks, etc) and if so, will confirm it to be added to the database.
    Later on I will also set up a form that allows users to propose changes to individual (maybe multiple?) pwarps, whether that be to have a pwarp removed from the database or some of the basic data.

Thanks for reading,

- J055y_

11. Puloo

Puloo Meeper

That would actually be a great help for not only the buyers but the sellers.

J055Y_ likes this.