1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Gay Rights

Discussion in 'Debates' started by scoowby, May 7, 2014.

1. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

I disagree. If we look at recent trends, like North Carolina, it's beginning to show society is no longer tolerating this type of mentality. Sure there are pockets that support bigotry but society has been slowly killing off this ideology just from liberalization over time. Letting society kill off the idiocy, rather than legislation, removes a cohesion that belongs to the group. People should be free to make dumb decisions and then suffer the consequences from that decision, otherwise how will we learn?

metr0n0me and Ranger0203 like this.
  2. Supreme_Overlord

Supreme_Overlord Popular Meeper

I mean, someone could find out about who someone is attracted to and discriminate against them on that basis. There are therapists that have private businesses; a client could tell their therapist that they're homosexual and they're therapist could then deny them any more service. Regardless, I agree that people who discriminate against homosexual people are usually always doing it based on them acting gay, but my point then is that it should be defined as discrimination against those who act gay, not against homosexuality itself.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 23, 2017, Original Post Date: Apr 23, 2017 ---
    It's hard to say without it actually happening, but I might agree. If we were living in a different time period when discrimination was way more widespread, I would certainly be against allowing it, but you're right that people might not get away with it socially today (in first world countries, that is). I'd be worried about legalizing it though because there's always a chance that society could go back to more discrimination.

Deinen and MeepLord27 like this.
  3. Killer2themx

Killer2themx Celebrity Meeper

Love who you love, let others love who they love. Stop the god damn hate.

Cherrykit likes this.
  4. SuperDyl

SuperDyl Popular Meeper

I don't hate the people, just not personally fond of the actions. I won't treat you worse for being gay than someone who isn't, but I may express my opinions on the matter.

Ranger0203 likes this.
  5. MeepLord27

MeepLord27 Popular Meeper

I guess this is old news, but to be allowed into the boy scouts you should be a boy.

Ranger0203 likes this.
  6. Ranger0203

Ranger0203 Celebrity Meeper

That's different than being gay.

SuperDyl and metr0n0me like this.
  7. MeepLord27

lgbtq? it seemed like the most relevant thread to talk about it in?

Ranger0203 likes this.
  8. Muunkee

Muunkee Legendary art supply hoarder

I do not understand how this is relevant to the thread

riri30 and SuperDyl like this.
  9. MeepLord27

See my response to ranger. If its really a big deal you guys can report it as off topic.

10. Muunkee

I still dont get it
    Being gay is not the same as trans

if I'm gay I go to girl scouts
    if I'm straight I go to girl scouts

If I am trans I go to the gender I am which in my case would be boy scouts because presumably if I were trans I would be male

still confused

riri30 likes this.
  11. MeepLord27

The issues are frequently intertwined, I saw people tangentially talking about trans ppl a few pages ago, if you think its off topic, report the post.

metr0n0me likes this.
  12. Ranger0203

Ranger0203 Celebrity Meeper

That's the problem though. Girls don't go to Boy Scouts even if they're trans. It's a bad idea.

metr0n0me likes this.
  13. Muunkee

I wouldn't know about the policy tbh I've never been involved in either, I just kinda figured that'd be the case that a boy would go to boy scouts regardless *shrug*

Ranger0203 likes this.
  14. MeepLord27

But there not a boy, there a girl pretending to be a boy.

metr0n0me likes this.
  15. Grandblue

Grandblue Celebrity Meeper

Boy scouts and girl scouts are not divided by gender, just saying. It's whether or not you have that Y chromosome. Males have completely different builds than women. We are better at different things. There is a reason people have split them up, and it's not because of sexism. I proudly support all of the movements like feminism, transgender and gay rights movements. They should be able to do what they want on a legal level: marry who they want, act however they want, etc. Unfortunately, they can't be something they aren't.

Personally, I want to go into a career that lets people be who they want in the future.

16. metr0n0me

metr0n0me Legendary Meeper

This is also a super late response, but you need to let people talk about things in public and have free speech. The government should not act as the thought police--if you ban hate speech or hate ideas, you lend credence to hateful people's ideas and that leads to their spread underground. Look at the rise of Neo-Nazism in Europe as an example--people banned hate speech and Nazism, and these kind of cultures festered underground for years before resurfacing as ugly movements.

Contrast this with the death of the KKK in the US. As people's culture and attitude to people changed, the KKK slowly died off. Now it's a shadow of its former self, and is basically a few old bitter rednecks drinking beer all day. They don't really even do anything harmful anymore.

17. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

I never said they shouldn't be allowed to talk?

I said society should relegate them to non relevance, and not through legislation

18. metr0n0me

metr0n0me Legendary Meeper

ya I was more agreeing with you and disagreeing with supreme_overlord, sorry if that was unclear.

Deinen likes this.
  19. Supreme_Overlord

Supreme_Overlord Popular Meeper

I agree with you on free speech and ideas. I'm a strong supporter of free speech/ideas and I don't think that the government should really police either, but there has to be some sort of line that is drawn to prevent certain actions. For example, if the KKK still were a big thing, I think that there should definitely be a line that's drawn somewhere to prevent them from lynching people. Denying service based on sexuality (or race, gender, etc.) is a discriminatory action that's beyond the point of homophobic speech or ideas, which is why I was discussing it. As I said in an earlier post, however, I agree that it's possible that discrimination in the form of denying service would die away on its own because society is going against it, and that it would therefore be fine/potentially even better to have it be legal, but it's hard to say for sure without it actually happening.

20. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

What inherent right gives you the ability to dictate how a person who has labored and paid for his business, should run it? I fully support you're ability to protests and boycott the business in response, but a business should be able to run itself the way it deems fit, which means the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. A bakery won't bake you a cake for your gay wedding? There are many other options out there and it is an action in no way that actually harms you.

Should I be able to yell racial slurs at any given race, should I see fit? Absolutely. While I absolutely do not condone doing that, our inherent freedom of speech - and any other right - should be carefully considered before legislating behavior purely due to the slippery slope. Once we begin dictating what we can and cannot say, what prevents us from entering a scenario where you might be in trouble for insulting a Congressman, Senator, or President?

The simple truth was given to me by my father when I was a teenager. "The world is full of a**holes."

You can't legislate them away but they will disappear and be replace by our generations jerks, and the next generation. Humans suck, always have - Get a thicker skin. (This is not applying to a scenario of constant or intimidating harassment.)

On a related note: Are you European?

Erebus45, Ranger0203 and metr0n0me like this.