1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Stock Market

Discussion in 'Denied' started by denden1088, Jan 8, 2017.

1. denden1088

denden1088 Popular Meeper

I wanted for the stock market to be back in the game as it was a very cool feature, how every sadly removed due to players abusing it. But I came up with another idea, why not have players make in-game companies and have players buy shares of in-game companies, However you could just scratch that idea if we could have found a faster updating api.

2. Khafra

Khafra Celebrity Meeper

What would stock price be determined on? It would be near impossible to track every single purchase every single player makes from every single chest shop.

Also Insider trading would be a large problem where people deliberately increase stock prices, which in turn would be abused.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  3. Kazarkas

Kazarkas Legendary Meeper Elder

I love the idea of a stock market on real companies but the lag involved has a huge potential for abuse. When it comes to in game companies per say, insider trading and lag still plays a role.

4. denden1088

=(
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 8, 2017, Original Post Date: Jan 8, 2017 ---
    Yes, but to deliberately increase stock prices, you would have to pay money of your own.
    You would also have to buy the shares like the old way, through the lobby where it's easier to track as its the only place you buy and sell.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  5. builderjunkie012

builderjunkie012 Celebrity Meeper

I think that the problem that stocks had with people buying at the market close and selling at the opening in the morning for guaranteed profit could be solved by a tax, similar to the american capital gains tax, where short term income is taxed at a higher rate than long term income. Otherwise, there could be a waiting period such as a week before stocks became sellable. The only problems i can see would be the server being unable to pay out for dividends and stock splits. Also the only exploit I see would be buying a stock at the close, then giving it to someone else to sell at the open, but that can easily be remedied by the cooldown/tax being exclusive to the note itself much like the old /fixed item lore.

6. Kazarkas

Stocks just open a can of worms.....

7. builderjunkie012

Then go fishing

00000, Natsu and Kazarkas like this.
  8. Kazarkas

So clever.

9. XxNine_TailsxX

XxNine_TailsxX Legendary Meeper

If someone plans on buying or selling a large amount regardless of financial gain, if they let a friend of theirs know or someone within their company then they will have an advantage over others if they know whether a stock will rise or fall. You can make it so your stock rises a ton while your friend invests a lot of money into your business and boom that creates money out of nowhere.

10. Kazarkas

We have had a stock market before and it was exploitable....

We have had a dynamic gold exchange before and it was exploitable....

It doesn't work.

11. Natsu

Natsu Celebrity Meeper

-1 as described above and in Twomoo's thread

12. denden1088

Well klutch told me what Happend, If we could find a API as fast or like the live stock exchange, maybe it would work.

13. Wiggle_Waggle

Wiggle_Waggle Popular Meeper

just no, this infused a lot of eco inflation and it could be all rigged by one company. -1

14. builderjunkie012

15. Kazarkas

The problem is you really won't, especially because server lag also has to be taken in account. Even in "real time trading" there are still computers that are able to trade faster than humans because they receive data quicker that make pennies but are able to make trades like this all day. The development time spent to make this system even close to functional with minimal exploits (I say minimal because people will still find a way) would outweigh other projects that would most likely be more beneficial.

For that reason -1, but I really would like a stock exchange because I like trading... But for the above reasons I still don't think it can be done effectively.

16. buttfly29

buttfly29 Popular Meeper

rigged by pseudocorp dur

17. Courtneyyy

Courtneyyy Admin Princess Staff Member Helper Media Elder

We'd like the get the eco balanced and in a nice spot before we start adding anything else. Will move this to the accepted folder so that we can refer to it at a later day.