1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Public IG bans with some tweaks

Discussion in 'Denied' started by Muunkee, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muunkee

Muunkee Legendary art supply hoarder

It's been awhile that bans are not public and have not been for quite some time.
    the arguments for keeping bans private are that it's simply private info and we don't need to know. It's valid.

But to keep the bans public, we know things like that play who was advertising was permed, new players see that staff do indeed enforce rules and therefore they should not break them, as well as providing a learning service to people who want staff so they can learn the offences and times and that stuff.

I'm not going to ask to make the bans completely public. But here's an idea
    Noob123 advertises her server. You better believe it's a super cool server. Don't worry, you'll get OP.
    A mod sees this, bans the player. Currently, we don't even know if the player is banned unless we do /seen.
    How about when the mod bans noob123, there is a message in chat saying this
    ''Klutchdecals has banned a player for [advertising]. Length: Perm.''
    It would stay this way, this way the player name is private but we also clearly know that the player was punished in that context.
    We can also see ''SomeStaffMember has banned a player for [theft - Second offense]. Length:2 days.''
    The brackets indicate the ban reason when the staff types /ban and the length is obviously the time.

2. cooey

cooey Legendary Meeper

+1 I would love to have bans public again

FunGUY and HazTheMan99 like this.
  3. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

-1, it's fine as is.

Kling likes this.
  4. junelawnchaired

junelawnchaired neat-o!

I don't really see how this is different from making them completely public again

Burritoh likes this.
  5. Muunkee

Doesn't say the player name therefore keeping it somewhat private while still giving normal players the benefit

6. Qaws

Qaws Popular Meeper

/bantoggle as well cause i dont care about this +1 tho

Empoleon_master, Burritoh and FunGUY like this.
  7. legendcaleb

legendcaleb Celebrity Meeper

I'm pretty sure the reason they removed it was toxicity that followed. Honestly I like knowing who is banned and I'm pretty sure Klutch or Deinen (not sure who( suggested something about having a punishments list on the forums to see who got banned and why

8. OneBreadSlice

OneBreadSlice Celebrity Meeper

For a completely different game, the community I'm with uses a database to track offenses by players that is completely open to the public. Only staff members can add or remove offenses, but anyone can view anyone's offenses by known their ID. I heard that meep tracks its own player IDs, correct me if I'm wrong.

9. fasehed

fasehed Celebrity Meeper

+1

Burritoh likes this.
  10. Klitch

Klitch

I see no overwhelming reason to make them public. -1

11. Enron

Enron Celebrity Meeper

I'm against showing player's bans for small offenses like language, tpa killing and stuff because it's not really relevant
    However, we should be able to see serious bans they have gotten in the past like scamming, rank scamming, and hacking in their /seen
    It would be nice to be able to tell if someone has been trustworthy in the past before trusting them with your town or meebles

12. WeAreNumberUno

WeAreNumberUno Celebrity Meeper

13. Muunkee

Meep tracks players via the UUID which I believe is the account's ID, because of name changes

14. Lady_Hestia

Lady_Hestia Retro, Dance, Freak

I would like it to be public so I can know if there is a new rule. When I was a new player it helped me learn the rules。

15. metr0n0me

metr0n0me Legendary Meeper

Why?

16. Klitch

Klitch

No why necessary.. he just explained it. There is nothing wrong with the current system, and as I said, no overwhelming reason to implement this.

Burritoh likes this.
  17. nhjed

nhjed Celebrity Meeper

I think you mean re-implement it. Or as far as I know, it's always been there.

No doubt this helped me when I was nhnoob back in the primal days of meepcraft.

I don't see a reason to not implement it. I can guarantee no player who logs on this server reads the rules at all. It's a waste of time, energy, and life. Till this day, I still haven't read any of the rules of Meepcraft (with the exception of me being staff to look up how long I should ban a player for). That's no joke, either.

It would be much easier for me to look in chat and say "Hey, he got banned for advertising(or whatever), maybe I shouldn't advertise. I sure wouldn't want to be banned!"

18. junelawnchaired

junelawnchaired neat-o!

I understand what you're trying to get at but I just wanted to point out that most advertisers are first and one time players who are well aware of what they are doing is wrong, and the vast majority never try to appeal. Most players who come back and play Meep tend to not advertise/feel the need to advertise any servers because obviously that would be betraying the server that they are putting time into. So I don't think that is a very good argument.

My stance on this is pretty neutral - I wouldn't mind if it came back but I don't see any reason for it to come back. Towny theft and cursing are common knowledge things tbh. They're going to learn it whether or not they see someone banned for it in the global chat, and there's really no significant trend regarding rise/fall of rule-breakers from before the bans were public and after, which basically invalidates this whole "learning-the-rules" argument. It would take more effort to re-implement this and there isn't really a cause for it, rather than of course, your personal entertainment (which is understandable, but at the end of the day it doesn't make-or-break your decision to stay on MeepCraft; things like the active player base and the content that we have to play are what determines that, no matter how "entertaining" the ban logs might seem, people don't come online just to see those. And before anyone tries to correlate the falling player base with the removal of public bans I wanted to point out that 1. it's the school year and 2. there have been some admittedly bad decisions made, but that's okay because we learn from that!) . So yeah, hopefully that makes sense. If I had to vote it would be a -0.5 .

19. Llamazon

Llamazon Celebrity Meeper

+1, I remember when they were completely public. I like the idea of the name not being on there, even though everyone would probably be able to guess who it was anyway, if they were committing the act in global

Enron likes this.
  20. Muunkee

- New players see that there are rules and they are being enforced
    - New players learn the rules by seeing bans and offenses in chat
    - People who are looking to become staff would better know the times and the like, it helped me a lot and I watched the bans a lot when I applied in 2014
    - Players will see a person advertising in chat, therefore understand that staff are actually doing something rather than the advertiser just disappearing - It looks bad from a player standpoint if nothing happens to the advertiser. And nothing does from their viewpoint. they see staff talking and not enforcing rules, what does that look like?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.