1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

On a serious note; what is this staff?

Discussion in 'Denied' started by nhjed, Apr 18, 2016.

?

Should we loosen the restrictions on chat? (e.g. swearing, sex refs, politics)

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jwarian

Jwarian Celebrity Meeper

you getting owned by fuzzlr

Burritoh likes this.
  2. Burritoh

Burritoh Popular Meeper

Haha, Fuzzlr can roast

Jwarian likes this.
  3. Jwarian

Jwarian Celebrity Meeper

4. _MacintoshWave_

_MacintoshWave_ Celebrity Meeper

I love the server, but toxicity is a huge problem. sarcasm alone can be degrading and condescending. sarcasm is easy to detect when talking to someone in person, but it's hard to tell when it's text over the internet.

5. nhjed

nhjed Celebrity Meeper

@Jwarian @Fuzzlr

My question still hasn't been answered, and this isn't even half of the issue being explained.

Sometimes I wonder if you ever read what I said.

Why was I BANNED over the other person? Is it because I'm nhjed? Staff were on while this person said that, actively chatting in shout actually. But no, they didn't get banned.

I had no intentions of being innapropriate, and saying "I'll pop your mom" means nothing really.

The fact everybody is derailing this thread is dumb, and you should stop because none of you are getting the point

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  6. Burritoh

Burritoh Popular Meeper

I'm not putting you down AT ALL, I promise :) Instead of making it public, why not attempt to have a conversation with staff in private? Don't rant, but instead just have a normal conversation about it, not putting anyone specific at fault. You can use details about it, just don't go off on anyone specific :) this will probably help you a good bit in the situation.

FunGUY and junelawnchaired like this.
  7. junelawnchaired

junelawnchaired neat-o!

nhjed if you want to be taken seriously then I suggest you make a private conversation with the person who banned you or a higher staff member. Obviously you're not going to get answers from the entire meep community, that's why it's getting "derailed". I've had people message me about bans in the past and we've had civil conversations and resolved the misunderstanding. hope that helps! :)

edit: burritoh snagged the words out of my fingers! sneaky..

FunGUY, BooBear1227, 2leah2 and 2 others like this.
  8. Burritoh

Burritoh Popular Meeper

Haha, sorry @junelawnchaired :joyful: Couldn't help it.

junelawnchaired likes this.
  9. nhjed

nhjed Celebrity Meeper

Atleast you admit to it.

Ban appeals are public. Obviously if the person who banned me cant give me a proper reason as to why my ban appeal was denied without answer, and if they're not even giving me a private message on the forums, why shouldn't I post a thread about it?

IF you don't care enough to answer me with an explanation I don't care if its private or not.

FunGUY and Lady_Hestia like this.
  10. Burritoh

Burritoh Popular Meeper

Because people can not post on ban appeals unless they have evidence or something to help out, so it really HAS to be public. This does not need to be, as no one is providing anything creative.

FunGUY likes this.
  11. nhjed

nhjed Celebrity Meeper

I asked for an explanation from a staff member, though. Since they denied it and didn't even feel the need to private message me at this point I don't care

FunGUY likes this.
  12. Burritoh

Burritoh Popular Meeper

They did not deny it, and message them first if you really care.

FunGUY likes this.
  13. junelawnchaired

junelawnchaired neat-o!

locked per request of nhjed - an explanation was given.

FunGUY, 2leah2 and Lady_Hestia like this.
  14. legendcaleb

legendcaleb Celebrity Meeper

This server is far too strict. It's gone past "family-friendly" into a point of "don't have fun"

I understand the points that swearing shouldn't be used for cheap humor, but the words that are allowed can be far worse.

Example : (actual example)

Person A : 420 blaze
    *3 hour ban*
    Person B : Kys <player>
    *Don't say that again*

HOW IN THE NAME OF HELL IS SAYING 420 BLAZE WORSE THAN TELLING A PERSON TO KILL THEMSELVES? I play on servers where swearing is allowed (to an extent) but saying kys is a perm ban with no chance to appeal. Get your act together, because that is totally not correct.

You're strict to the point where if one person says something wrong it turns into :

"omg screenied"
    "reporting"
    "Banned"
    "bye"

To be honest, isn't that more toxic than the original swear anyway? Ease up, though swearing profusely should not be allowed, can't we let mild sex references and drug references slip by? (use discretion) I remember in 2012 where that kind of humor was allowed and everyone was fine with it.

If we truly are family friendly, then why do we cater to the younger audience of said family? It is the older people that bring in donations, which is a necessity for the survival of the server. I don't understand why we don't cater to the audiences of 12-15 when they are the ones that benefit the server the most. I remember when I first joined minecraft, I didn't ever pay attention to chat or other players, and when I did, it was never someone as toxic as some of the people I see today who claim the alias of "supporter of the family friendly server"

I joined minecraft August 2012 (I was 11), and the 3rd server I joined was wear I saw the first swear. My dad warned me when I started minecraft that I would connect with other players who would use bad language, and he said that I could turn the chat off if it bothered me, and he showed me how. So for the majority of my time there I turned off the chat. Eventually I got a bit older and turned chat on again and I was responsible enough not to swear profusely as some of the people I saw.

I know this is pretty confusing because I keep making my argument unclear, but all I'm trying to say is loosen up. If swearing bothers people that much they should be responsible to know how to turn off chat. I understand words such as "F***" or "Sh*t" not being allowed, along with other sexual paraphernalia, but at ease up, and don't be so quick to the ban for mild sex references or drug references.

15. 00000

00000 Guest

I was never given an explanation for my first sex ref ban, and my second was for saying (lmao) "im close to my sweet release". 2days

Staff I am not angry I obviously made a sexual joke but can you pm me what got me banned at first time? it was a @Cooleysworld ban so all im asking for is an explanation

Agree with you on the post though, no one else pls don't derail.

FunGUY and Cherrykit like this.
  16. Enron

Enron Celebrity Meeper

The topic of the strictness of Meep's chat filter and what is considered bannable as a sex ref is a topic that has been much debated for a while, but has been discussed even more often in the past couple months. Many people, including the vast majority of server staff, believe a strict chat filter is necessary to keep younger players on the server. They believe that our server should be "family-friendly", and welcoming to audiences of all ages. On the opposing side, many players assert that the current chat filter is too strict, inhibits conversations, and drives away older players, who make the majority of donations, and also that younger children are either not beneficial to the server or will not be affected by minor inappropriate content.
    This poll was created not to stir up a flame war, but simply to see where the majority stands.
    Should we cater to the lowest common denominator, or drive away children and possible players?
    Feel free to debate in the comments, just please don't get this thread locked.

FunGUY and Lady_Hestia like this.
  17. Enron

Enron Celebrity Meeper

I got a 3-day forums ban for saying "regardless of wether or not you grow the weed yourself, it's still illegal to sell it most places"
    gg staff

FunGUY, BlackJack, Llamazon and 3 others like this.
  18. Burritoh

Burritoh Popular Meeper

Please stop, party chats are being created for this type of thing. :)
    EDIT: Fuzzlr has answered this thread 100% in the thread nhjed posted about an explanation.

FunGUY and Kazarkas like this.
  19. Pmx728

Pmx728 Legendary Meeper

Okay.

Hyori likes this.
  20. Enron

Enron Celebrity Meeper

Fuzzlr said what he wanted to happen.
    If our numbers get low enough though, he'll probably have to rethink his opinion though.

metr0n0me likes this.