1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

On a serious note; what is this staff?

Discussion in 'Denied' started by nhjed, Apr 18, 2016.

?

Should we loosen the restrictions on chat? (e.g. swearing, sex refs, politics)

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

I wasn't referring to you. There is blame on both sides, really.

You have children who push the limits just to push the limits, which triggers a harsher and harsher respond by the moderation team.

The solution is: Staff need to ease up and let the atmosphere be enjoyable, even if it's a little harsher for people to read. Kids need to stop thinking they have to be vulgar and curse. It doesn't matter if MeepCraft isn't a classroom, bible study, ..., ...

It's a business with customers, and one should try to let the customers have their way as much as reasonably possible. Is prohibiting someone talking about Greek Mythology (just an example) worth limiting your customer? Is stopping some brief history discussion worth hassling your customers over, especially if nobody gets hurt?

Quite frankly, though, it's their server and they can do what they wish with it, they do the work. However banning is literally the most destructive punitive action to use, because it removes customers.

FunGUY, HazTheMan99, cooey and 3 others like this.
  2. 00000

00000 Guest

Are we not allowed to curse in case we don't corrupt the minds of the kids who curse? ;)

3. Fuzzlr

Fuzzlr Owner Staff Member Owner

Think about it this way, using inappropriate language is a choice but being exposed to inappropriate language is not really a choice. Many more people would be turned away by the use of inappropriate language than by our policing of it. There are many mature things to discuss that don't require inappropriate language.

I 100% disagree with your business logic, @metr0n0me, allowing inappropriate language throughout the server would be extremely unprofessional and would definitely be unappealing for many people who wish to invest their time and money in the game.

If you wish to use inappropriate language you still can, in a private channel. There are many times in life when sexual language or swearing is appropriate, but not on global channels that broadcast to an entire community of players.

FunGUY, Lady_Hestia, 2leah2 and 12 others like this.
  4. 00000

00000 Guest

Fuzz, please work on giving us party chat so I can invite all ten of my friends on at one time. They want to hear my joke and I want to tell it to them, so it can happen without upsetting other people.

5. Fuzzlr

Group chats are already on the list of things to be developed.

FunGUY, HazTheMan99, Burritoh and 7 others like this.
  6. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

Your argument is moot, vulgarity is not a necessity. In fact, outside of "children" it provides a very abrasive atmosphere for adults too, and they, by far, provide the most to this server.

My overall point is that it's not one sided, there is a middle ground. Sometimes staff (not saying this staff, or this instance) do, over time, become harsher in their interpretation and sometimes needs a re-evaluation, and it's something that should always be cautioned for, really.

While shutting down semi-controversial but legitimate topics may be a step too far on the moderation side, so is the outright push to allow vulgarity in obscene forms.

metr0n0me likes this.
  7. 00000

00000 Guest

Yeah...that was a joke considering you said that kids curse, and the point (whether or not true) that we can't curse as so children do not see it and their innocence is taken.

so, yes, that was satire, essentially

FunGUY, metr0n0me and Deinen like this.
  8. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

/s

00000 likes this.
  9. Burritoh

Burritoh Popular Meeper

oh my lord ; -; this was too funny, my side hurts..

10. metr0n0me

metr0n0me Legendary Meeper

@XxX_SpiderStrike_XxX , you seem to interpret sexual "jokes" as a sign of maturity, when in fact, the opposite is true. Sexual references don't actually add to the community; and @Fuzzlr and @Klitch are correct in that we really don't need "jokes" of this kind on the server.

I'm more referring to @Deinen 's point, that staff members shouldn't terminate intelligent discussions about real-world issues because MeepCraft "isn't an appropriate place to discuss such issues."

FunGUY and CluelessKlutz like this.
  11. 00000

00000 Guest

Don't strawman my argument I never said anything resembling that, simply that humor is subjective and a mature player could find sexual humor funny

FunGUY and HazTheMan99 like this.
  12. metr0n0me

metr0n0me Legendary Meeper

I'm sorry if I worded my post badly--I never intended that "inappropriate language" (at least, how I define inappropriate language) should be allowed on the server. However, I'll restate that some members of the moderation team should allow deeper discussions in shout (and maybe standardize a policy of warning players about saying "fuck" or "shit" once in a while, instead of leaving punishments so open-ended).
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 18, 2016, Original Post Date: Apr 18, 2016 ---
    Sure, but not everyone necessarily finds it relevant or funny, whereas having actual discussions in shout would, in my opinion, be actually constructive.

FunGUY likes this.
  13. Fuzzlr

That's a bit off topic, but I'll discuss it anyways. If someone is mature, they will be able to handle other people's strong beliefs without being offended or getting heated, but that's not the way it is for everyone because not everybody is mature. Some people are just out there to pick a fight and when that happens it ruins the fun for everybody. Some people might enjoy a heated discussion, but for the vast majority it can be stressful and not quite the kind of community environment they are looking for. We don't need that conversation to be broadcasted to the entire server and that's why we have a debate section on the forums so people can choose to participate in such discussions.

14. nhjed

nhjed Celebrity Meeper

>when the op gets completely ignored and your thread gets derailed

15. M0W0G

M0W0G Celebrity Meeper

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  16. OKNEM

OKNEM Celebrity Meeper

I've had the same thing done to me: I said "deez nuts" in global chat and got a 3hr sexref ban, yet I've seen countless citizens say it, nothing happened.

FunGUY and BlackJack like this.
  17. Telinus

Telinus Celebrity Meeper

teloinus for admin

18. PeriHeika

PeriHeika Celebrity Meeper

What I believe is hard for people to understand is that talking and writing are different things. When you type on a keyboard to place something on the internet, not only is it there forever, but it can also be misinterpreted very easily. I have seen so many teenagers get into bad drama situations because someone else was joking. The hardest part is trying to figure out what went wrong because as the accidental offender you have no idea what went wrong. People do not understand that sarcasm does not transfer in writing.
    My point is, I try to avoid joking around in chat compared to say, Teamspeak, because you can actually hear my tone of voice and understand the point I'm trying to get across. Cursing and drama in chat is going to be misinterpreted by someone (we have 100 different people looking at chat on average with different minds and other POVs) and then it is going to be a bad day for everyone.
    I am a common player on servers that allow all kinds of language and conversations. The largest server has 50 players at most, and many of the new ones leave because there is no chat filter. Anarchy servers are a common joke because they are poorly matinenced servers. Minecraft is a rated E game, but it is so easy to stray away from that with server policies.
    I'm very rocky on this conversation because I believe that both sides have a valid point, but my brain has listed more reasons why not to use language.

19. _MacintoshWave_

_MacintoshWave_ Celebrity Meeper

if bullying is still an issue on this server, than meepcraft isn't exactly child-friendly. just ask @Burritoh

20. Burritoh

Burritoh Popular Meeper

Not child friendly at all unless staff can bully them and people can tell them to go die :)
    Other than all the toxicity, which is a extensively large portion, it's a really good server, and I enjoyed the experience! :)

EDIT: Ah, I'm sorry, didn't mean to bring this onto this thread, as I thought it was a different thread :( please do not discuss this issue here, but I'm leaving this post up because of the comment above

_MacintoshWave_ likes this.