1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Is God real?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by n00bslayer_99, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Lord_Walrus

Lord_Walrus Popular Meeper

God is reel becuz i sed so
    proov me rong

2. MoonlitMadness

MoonlitMadness Celebrity Meeper

I agree Walrus. Personally I don't think this is right for forums @Mockingbae2 . But its in debates so here I go.
    I believe in god for one reason alone. Faith. While lots of people have lost a loved one or lots of things, many people stop believing because "How can he do this!' Or "Why would he do this?" God works in mysterious ways. Sometimes they might be cruel, sure! But God is out there. I mean, How would humanity get here. Spring out of the ground? No. God created us for a reason. I Love him for what he gave me, and while there isn't any evidence to prove it, there isn't anything to prove it wrong either

3. 2leah2

2leah2 Celebrity Meeper

I have no beliefs, i don't deny his existence but i don't actually believe in God. I understand people who choose to believe God is existing, it must be nice to know what will happen after you die. Heaven. Sort of like a safety-net. It'll catch you when you fall, or at least that's what you think..

Maneo and MoonlitMadness like this.
  4. MoonlitMadness

That's a good way to think about heaven @2leah2 because no matter what (at least I believe) that whenever I die. God will be there to catch me in his loving arms, which is my safety net
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 24, 2016, Original Post Date: Feb 24, 2016 ---
    Also how can you call someone a name if they aren't real? Just an opinion

5. TheDebatheist

TheDebatheist Popular Meeper

Let's see what you said, and look for the claims that were made.

"There isn't really a substantial amount of evidence proving or disproving his existence
    (it could also be a girl, I'm not sexist)
    The way I've always seen is it this:
    Religion is without a doubt not for everyone. It is why our world (though some parts of the world don't have this advantage) generally embraces all cultures and religions. I think that's very important. Because until someone can completely disprove gods existence, there's no need to prove it. Thats my view on the matter. A lot was left unsaid of course but I don't find it that necessary to go into too much detail."

Claim 1 -- "There isn't really a substantial amount of evidence proving or disproving his existence"

There need not be. The onus is on the person making the claim. If you claim a god exists, it's up to you to prove that your god exists. Without justification, you are by very definition, Unjustified to believe. The very reason I don't believe in the supernatural, is because I have yet to see any justification to do so.

Claim 2 -- "Religion is without a doubt not for everyone."

Agreed.

Claim 3 -- "our world... generally embraces all cultures and religions"

I would disagree. People generally fear and dislike that which is different. Multiculturalism has by and large, failed worldwide. And that's in the more civilised nations.

Claim 4 -- until someone can completely disprove gods existence, there's no need to prove it.

Then I'm afraid you don't understand the burden of proof. I'm not trying to be mean here, but I heavily recommend that you click on the links that I cited.

What if someone that believed in Unicorns, said to you: "Until you can completely disprove the existence of Unicorns, there's no need for me to prove that Unicorns exist".

Is their belief in Unicorns justified or rational, just because we can't conclusively prove that Unicorns don't exist? No. They're being a bit silly. The same goes for Pixies. Ganesh. Bigfoot. God.

I'm a little shocked here. You are openly reveling in your own ignorance, and I don't think this is a attitude we should promote or condone.

Just to ensure that people don't mistake the above for an insult.

Wikipedia --- Ignorance -- Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge)The word ignorant is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware and is often used to describe individuals who deliberately ignore or disregard important information or facts. Ignoramus is commonly used in the UK, Ireland, and the US as a term for someone who is willfully ignorant. Ignorance is distinguished from stupidity, although both can lead to "unwise" acts.

Don't be ignorant. Be smart. Be knowledgeable. Comprehend the universe and everything in it. Soak up the richness of the work of our ancestors, lead a life where you are brave enough to accept harsh realities over comforting white lies.

Maneo likes this.
  6. Lord_Walrus

tmw someone takes your bait seriously

Enron and TheDebatheist like this.
  7. Maneo

Maneo Popular Meeper

I suppose I'll stay out of political / religious topics and keep my feedback mainly game-related. Thanks for your comments.

8. Lord_Walrus

TMW you want a girlfriend but knowledge is bae

9. SirGiggly

SirGiggly Celebrity Meeper

I don't believe that all beliefs should be immediately accepted/respected just because some idiot puts their faith into it.

10. MoonlitMadness

That's not really what we say. I believe in God because how else could the bog bang happen? I mean. What else documents the creation of all things, that's right, the bible
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 26, 2016, Original Post Date: Feb 26, 2016 ---
    This is most likely the best argument I have ever seen for God. Ty. :+)

11. Maneo

Maneo Popular Meeper

Bog Bang... :wtf:

MoonlitMadness likes this.
  12. SirGiggly

SirGiggly Celebrity Meeper

First off you completely misunderstood my point, second lack of knowledge does not give leeway to knowledge lacking substance.

13. MoonlitMadness

my bad ;-;

Maneo likes this.
  14. _Gimble_1.

_Gimble_1. Popular Meeper

This is the conundrum that believers and nonbelievers have come across throughout all of time since creation. (Yes I personally do believe that their is God and that he exists.) But here is the thing. As long as one person believes that God exists, he exists. On the other hand, as long as one person believes God doesn't exist, he doesn't. It all comes down to each and every person's own individual belief. I believe that every person has the right to believe what they want to believe and I respect those who say their isn't a God. In saying that, it doesn't mean I won't raise hell if someone who doesn't believe in God or believes in something different tries to force their beliefs upon me.

CluelessKlutz and cooey like this.
  15. Supreme_Overlord

Supreme_Overlord Popular Meeper

First of all, there are other religions that document the creation of the universe; the Christian Bible isn't the only religious documentation that supposedly explains the creation of the universe.

Second of all, the fact that we don't know how the universe was created doesn't prove that God exists. "We don't know, therefore God," is a huge fallacy that I see pretty often. Not knowing something doesn't mean that you can assign any explanation to it. I do agree that the fact that we don't know means that God definitely could exist, but without having proof for something, the logical stance is to be open to it but to not believe in it without further evidence/proof.
    Are you referring to "God" as an idea? Because, regardless of what people believe, "God" as a deity either exists or doesn't exist.

16. _Gimble_1.

_Gimble_1. Popular Meeper

Would rather not walk deeper into this argument that will not end so I'll say this, what I said is open to interpretation. If you think I mean God is an idea, you possibly could be right. If you think God is real, you possibly are right. If you believe God does not exist, you possibly could be right. Etc.

17. TheDebatheist

TheDebatheist Popular Meeper

Hi @Dawn . I think I've tried to have a conversation with you before, with unpleasant results. Benefit of the doubt though. Let's go for it.

> I believe in God because how else could the bg bang happen?

This is paradoxical. You're saying: "I can't explain something, therefore, I can explain it.". Let me level with you for a sec. 'Not knowing' is acceptable sometimes. It's incredibly honest and endearing. If you don't know how The Big Bang happened, why not just say so? Heck, that's where I am. I don't know either!

There are infinitely many explanations for how The Big Bang came to be, yet you're picking the one that 'feels right', to you. Is this intellectually honest? Or should we try and find out the answer, together? Should we rely on the generations of human knowledge? 1000's experts in their field? The observable evidence and mountains of data? Or should we rely on our own gut instincts? When you and I only know a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the knowledge that 1 Astronomer does?

Let's be honest, together. Let's figure out what the answer is. What to believe. Because honestly? I don't know sometimes either. But I wouldn't want to stop looking for the truth, just because I already have an answer in front of me that makes me happy.

> What else documents the creation of all things,

Woahh there. So when you use the word, "creation", that means that there must have been a creator, right? Well, I don't know of any "creator of all things". I've never seen one. I've never touched one. I've never smelled one. I've only read about one in books. Well, more than 1 actually. 100's actually. In 100's of different books.

I think the problem here is that you're unintentionally smuggling in the word "creation". If you use the word creation, of course you must think that there is a creator. But what if we rephrase your question?

"What else documents how all things came into existence?"

Ah-hah! Now, that's an honest question. Let's find out.

What if the universe was... always there? What if it brought itself into existence? What if it was a god? These are some of the most difficult questions humans have ever faced. And how do we find out stuff? We look into it! We research. We study. We pool together all the information that we have, and see if we can figure out an answer. If we don't have one yet? We study some more. Then we try again, and again, and again, until we find the answer.

We do not, guess. Or go with what "feels right". We could guess the right answer this way, but so could I on a Roulette table if I just went with whatever feels right. The more difficult the question, and the more answers available? The less likely you'll be right.

Let's look at the facts. What we do know about our universe. And that's the great thing about science. We can know... what we don't know. We don't know the answer yet, and we should keep looking. Though, we have some pretty good hypotheses. (An informed guess that takes into account everything that humans know about the universe)

> that's right, the bible

You're right, in a sense. The Bible does give an account for that. But... so does the Q'uran. And the Bhagavad Gita. And so does that hillbilly down the street that thinks he knows the answer too. It's one thing to describe how you think the universe came to be. It's a completely different thing to prove it. THAT'S what we should care about, right?

There are infinitely many accounts of how the universe came to exist. How do we know which one is correct?

You got it, we test them! We study. And if none of them pass our tests? Well, that just means we have to keep looking for answers.

The Bible is, at the end of the day, a book.A **very** old book. A book that makes a lot of claims. More than just the one about the universe, and many of which we know to be factually untrue. Here are just a few.

The Bible says:

- Various birds (fowl) crawl on all 4 legs.

- Rabbits (Hare) chew the cud. (That they have 2 stomachs, like a cow)

- Camels have hooves that don't split.

- Whales are fish. (They arn't!)

- Jews were never enslaved. (in bondage)

I look forward to your response, along with anyone elses.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    Enron likes this.
  18. Ranger0203

Ranger0203 Celebrity Meeper

Voldemort
    Harry Potter
    Percy Jackson
    Sherlock Holmes

None of these people exist, but they have names.

19. Marshy_88

Marshy_88 Celebrity Meeper

What about certain religions in which you are reincarnated?

20. Ranger0203

Ranger0203 Celebrity Meeper

It's like it was before you were born.