1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Can god create a rock that he cannot lift?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Soccer4232, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Soccer4232

Soccer4232 Popular Meeper

Well the christian god can't because then he wouldn't be all powerful. It's impossible to have a god that is all powerful, he cannot create a rock that he cannot lift. However I'm more powerful than god in this way because I can create a rock that I cannot lift. I'm not all powerful so it doesn't matter. The question "can god create a rock that he cannot lift?" is a reason why it's impossible to have an all powerful god. The question isn't illogical it just can't work for an all powerful god. I can create a rock by adding more and more layers to it until it's to heavy I can't lift, god however can't do that. Being not all powerful does have advantages.

Please comment.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  2. Redolwolf

Redolwolf Popular Meeper

Can lift create a god that he cannot rock?

3. Toostenheimer

Toostenheimer Legendary Meeper

This makes no sense. God is the creator of the universe, he can create anything and lift it with his will. No, God can create a rock that he can lift. It's impossible to create a rock he can't lift. Unless if you go into better detail in this, I'm just going to say that this debate makes no sense to me.

4. Soccer4232

Well I can create a rock that I can't lift. However he can't because it would be contradictory. I'm saying it's impossible to be omnipotent, if you are a god or not a god. If god can't do something like create a rock then he doesn't have all power.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 11, 2016, Original Post Date: Jan 11, 2016 ---
    No because he god cannot rock what he cannot lift. Do you even lift brah?

Ranger0203 likes this.
  5. Toostenheimer

He and Jesus Christ made Earth and the universe. It's basically impossible for God to create a rock that he cannot lift. Be specific in "creating a rock he cannot lift". Again, you're making no sense.

6. Soccer4232

This means god is not omnipotent/all powerful because he can't do everything...
    I may be an atheist, but wasn't jesus created after the Earth was made?

7. Toostenheimer

Yes he can. He created the universe and everything that lives. He created matter and non-matter. He created EVERYTHING. Again, I'm asking for more detail into this because all you're asking is "Can God create a rock he cannot lift?" Be more specific. Go into further detail. You're making no sense and this debate can't continue if you can't explain this more.
    No, he and God created the Universe. Jesus was still living in the spirit/premortal world with Heavenly Father/God before and after the Earth was created. He was responsible for creating the Earth, animals, land, water, and everything else. You're thinking about when he was BORN, not when he was still a spirit.

8. Soccer4232

Ok, you can create everything and not be omnipotent. You have can the power to create but not the power to destroy. Omnipotence is not possible in any situation. Also, maybe you can explain the basics you don't understand.
    more.

No, he and God created the Universe. Jesus was still living in the spirit/premortal world with Heavenly Father/God before and after the Earth was created. He was responsible for creating the Earth, animals, land, water, and everything else. You're thinking about when he was BORN, not when he was still a spirit.[/QUOTE]
    Doesn't that sound just a little bit crazy?

9. Toostenheimer

No, it's because I learned this and I'm a complete geek on this subject.

10. Supreme_Overlord

Supreme_Overlord Popular Meeper

The reason it doesn't make sense is because it's a paradox.

This paradox is known as the God Paradox or Omnipotent Paradox because it discusses a paradox with omnipotence.

The Christian God is omnipotent, A.K.A. all powerful, meaning that he has the power to do anything. If he can't create a rock that he can't lift, that means that there's something that he can't do. On the other hand, if he can create a rock that he can't lift, that also means that there's something that he can't do, since he can't lift the rock. Either way, there's something that he can't do, which creates a paradox, since he's supposed to be able to do anything.

TheDebatheist and Cherrykit like this.
  11. Soccer4232

whatever about that part, I can't really disprove that part.
    However you can't be omnipotent. It's not possible. Can god create a rock he can't lift?. This is the reason why there can't be omnipotence because
    if he answers yes, he wouldn't be able to lift the rock.
    if he answers no, he wouldn't be able to create anything.
    Omnipotence isn't possible. I can create a rock that i can't lift. The question just doesn't make sense because omnipotence isn't possible because omnipotence is contradictory.
    EXACTLY!!!!
    The problem isn't the question, it's god. He just isn't possible.
    If you switch out god for me in the question and ask "can I create a rock that I can't lift?" the answer is yes I can. God just isn't possible.
    It's not the question that is contradictory it's omnipotence.

12. FatIsNoob

FatIsNoob Celebrity Meeper

Love me pls Mom <333

YOUR MOM likes this.
  13. LIAHKIM55

LIAHKIM55 Popular Meeper

JUST STOP THE DEBATE ABOUT CHRISTIANITY

14. TheDebatheist

TheDebatheist Popular Meeper

The question is malformed. If you speak to anyone that's worth their weight in salt regarding theology, they won't claim that their god can do anything.

Omnipotence has long been defined as, "All powerful that is logically possible.".

Instead of being an interesting question that has a lot of depth and talking points, this thread just creates confusion and resentment.

I would have thought non-Christians using this argument would be better than this. You don't need to pull silly paradoxical tricks to show how illogical the Christian doctrine is. Just read the Bible.

15. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

The Christian God is not a physical being, so how are we defining "lifting"?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 13, 2016, Original Post Date: Jan 13, 2016 ---
    Or just don't go into the debates section? That mentality is what makes America sucks "I don't like this, therefor nobody can do it"

16. SirCallow

SirCallow Legendary Meeper

Well, the question is an odd one, but I have heard it many times. God is all powerful, but even so, he cannot do certain things, such as lie. He is 100% good and perfect, so he cannot do anything that would contradict that. A rock so large that he could not lift could not possibly exist, because he is omnipotent (all powerful).

17. iiTzJDL

iiTzJDL Legendary Meeper

dwayne "the rock" johnson.