1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Is God real?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by n00bslayer_99, Nov 11, 2014.

1. TheDebatheist

TheDebatheist Popular Meeper

Where's the evidence? For ANY of these gods? The fact that we're still wasting our time with this debate should be a wake-up call to our objectivity.

As for your link? The question at the top is malformed. Science cannot claim that 'No, a god does not exist.' It's an attempt to argue from ignorance. 'Science can't prove that there is no god, therefore, I'm justified to believe one does exist!'

The very FIRST line claims that Atheism is a worldview. It isn't. Is the lack of belief in Pixies, a worldview? Atheism is not a worldview. Just as 'Theism' is not a worldview.

The site then goes on to continually link Atheism to science. As if all Atheists, or Atheism, believe in everything that science discovers about the universe we inhabit. This is categorically false.

Do you want to link to a better site? One that doesn't fall at the first hurdle? I mean, this is BASIC stuff, really basic stuff. Something that a Lehmann like me shouldn't be able to swat away without a seconds thought.

2. Historicmush

Historicmush Popular Meeper

LadyCassandra likes this.
  3. SirCallow

SirCallow Legendary Meeper

Where are you getting these numbers lol.

4. TheDebatheist

Again, false. They have a right to believe whatever they want. However, this does not mean that they are justified to believe it.

To be justified, you need justification. Without justification, you are not justified. Giving no justification, you have yet to demonstrate that you are justified in your belief.

Please, stop for a second. Every single reply (to me) is littered with lies and fallacies. The links you post are demonstrably garbage, and just a few seconds of analytical thought is enough to show this.

THINK about what you post, before you post it. Please. READ your links before you post them.

1) The complexity of our planet points to a deliberate Designer who not only created our universe, but sustains it today.

No it doesn't. You do not detect design by how complex it is. You do so by contrasting it by that which is seen in nature. This is the classic 'Watchmaker' argument, and has been thoroughly debunked.

2) The universe had a start - what caused it?

Prove it. Even if you could prove that the universe had a beginning, this would be the 'Argument from Ignorance' logical fallacy. "We don't know, so... God".

You've committed this fallacy on numerous occasions. Do you understand why this argument is fallacious?

3) The universe operates by uniform laws of nature. Why does it?

Another 'Argument from Ignorance'. "We don't know where these laws came from, so... God."

4) The DNA code informs, programs a cell's behavior.

It's not a 'code'. It is 'like' a code. The current scientific consensus is that Abiogenesis is the best explanation for the origins of life on our planet, and Evolution explains the diversity of life. (including DNA)

5) We know God exists because he pursues us. He is constantly initiating and seeking for us to come to him.

Oh, okay. I guess Vishnu exists too. Because Hindus would claim...

"We know Vishnu exists because he pursues us. He is constantly iniating and seeking for us to come to him."

It's not an argument, it's an assertion.

It also asks why Atheists spend so much time on religious arguments. Well, I care about people. I care about my own well-being, and the well-being of others on this planet. And I want to put an end to the suffering and injustice done in the name of Christianity. The minute that you keep your beliefs to yourself, and stop using them to legislate? The moment you stop harming others because your religion said it would be a good idea? We're good. Until then, I'll continue to rail against harmful ideas that promote lies and misinformation. Whether they come from religion, or otherwise.

6) Unlike any other revelation of God, Jesus Christ is the clearest, most specific picture of God revealing himself to us.

Another assertion. It's just... nonsense. Prove that Jesus existed. Prove that the Bible is a reliable source for truth. Prove that your god even exists.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 11, 2015, Original Post Date: Nov 11, 2015 ---
    The Bible. https://www.quora.com/According-to-the-Bible-who-killed-more-people-Satan-or-God

5. Ranger0203

Ranger0203 Celebrity Meeper

People's beliefs need not be respected, but their right to believe does.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 12, 2015, Original Post Date: Nov 12, 2015 ---
    People who study the bible.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 12, 2015 ---
    Thanks a lot, Captain Obvious :p.

6. SirCallow

7. TheDebatheist

'Oh, God didn't kill 25 million, he only killed about 1,000,000, compared to Satan's 10. Pfft!

Why is it so hard for people to address the point being made?

@Heisenberg1999 is trying to illustrate that your god (in the Bible) has committed mass genocide on numerous occasions. Satan, purports to having only killed a fraction of the number of people that your god has. A miniscule amount, comparatively.

Despite your god seemingly being vengeful and blood-thirsty, I don't think it tackles the question of this thread. You might still believe in a god that endorses and practices mass genocide. I know many Christians that do.

What I want to know, is why do you believe in this god? What reasons to do you have for your belief, and why should everyone/anyone else believe in your god?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    Ranger0203 and n00bslayer_99 like this.
  8. Toostenheimer

Toostenheimer Legendary Meeper

Which one? Allah? Jesus Christ?

9. TheDebatheist

Well, that depends on which god/gods you/they worship. Whichever. I'm willing to hear everyone out.

10. Toostenheimer

I can probably help you out on your question:
    In the Bible, dating back into B.C (Before Christ), it talks about the creation of the Earth, the birth of Jesus Christ, the 12 Apostles, etc.
    The reason why my family and I believe in our god is because we know that he lives. I'm not saying that he actually does live (because I know some players aren't just Christian), I'm just saying that because the Bible is basically living proof.

11. TheDebatheist

Okay. Why is the Bible a credible source for truth?

Harry Potter books exist, is he real?

The Baghavad Gita exists, is that proof that Shiva exists (the Hindu god)?

12. SirCallow

I have acknowledged your post. My WiFi will be out until Tuesday night, and it is very difficult for me to type out multiple paragraphs on a phone. I will provide my answer around then. Thank you for keeping the conversation going about these types of things, I do so love them. <3

13. Toostenheimer

1. (answered on my profile)
    2. Harry Potter is fictional, so are most books that are made.
    3. If people believe in Shiva, they can since they are apart of that religion. But in Christianity, we do not believe or praise false idols (of course, some kids praise things as a joke, which I think is funny). Since I don't understand what The Baghavad Gita is, I'll just assume it's something like the Brass Plates, correct?
    I won't go into full debating mode since it's really late at night right now, but I'm just going to say that people can believe in their god and what living 'proof' they have, I respect what they believe. But I won't agree with them.

14. TheDebatheist

1. I had no idea what that had to do with my question.
    2. But there are things in the Harry Potter books that are true, does that mean Harry Potter exists? No. The same goes for the Bible.
    3. The Baghavad Gita is the Hindu holy book. The Bible is the Christian holy book. Both of you claim that a god exists based on your own holy books. Why should anyone believe any of you?

4) Please don't go do this road. No-one is saying that you don't have a right to believe what you believe. I'm asking, why you believe it. Why should anyone else believe it? What reasons and justifications do you have for believing that your god exists, AND that your holy book is different from every other holy book out there. That it's true.

15. Soccer4232

Soccer4232 Popular Meeper

Whoever here is a christian go watch all of the videos by Darkmatter2525. He will literally show why believing in god is unjustified and he will do it in a hilarious way.

WATCH DARKMATTER2525 YOUTUBE VIDEOS. THEY WILL CHANGE YOUR MIND!

16. TheDebatheist

If they had any interest in changing their minds, they wouldn't run from any conversation that I try to have with them. Civil, productive discourse seems to be something that Christians on here arn't a huge fan of. They'd rather just preach, without engaging in a reasonable discussion. (This does not apply to all Christians on here, and I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong! Let's chat!)

I'll throw in... 'Thunderf00t' and his "Why do people laugh at Creationists?" series. Oooh, and... TheraminTrees & QualiaSoup.

Mjr_Minor and n00bslayer_99 like this.
  17. Soccer4232

Um they aren't debates, They are just comedy videos made about Christianity. It doesn't have any conversation in it.

Watch this video it's hilarious and makes a good point.

18. TheDebatheist

So... in an attempt to change people's minds, you want to link them to videos in which their beliefs are mocked? Do you honestly think that this is the best way to change their mind? They're going to be mildly insulted at best.

We should be appealing to their critical faculties. DarkMatter's stuff is great, but is moreso comedy content for those that are already an Atheist. I would not recommend any religious person to watch much of DarkMatter's content if they genuinely have an open mind, and want their beliefs to be intellectually challenged.

19. Soccer4232

Yes because it is possible to challenge an Christian with using good hard evidence. It's not like people have showed millions of christians through the evidence of evolution with undeniable evidence of fossils with radiometric dating. It's not like people have made millions of reasons why Christians don't have any evidence to prove their ideas.

This video is just a different way of expressing reasons why Christianity doesn't work.

You don't have to be a professor to explain why Christianity doesn't make sense as long as you can give testable evidence of why it's unreliable.

20. TheDebatheist

Yes because it is possible to challenge an Christian with using good hard evidence.

That's exactly what I'm in favour of. Good, hard evidence. Not 'Videos that are just likely to offend'. If you genuinely think that out-and-out mocking their beliefs is a better way to get through to them (not to mention, how callous that is) than to critique what they believe and why? Then you are the reason why Atheists have such a bad stereotype online. The fedora-tipping know-it-alls that seem to be more interested in showing their superiority than actually educating and helping people

It's not like people have showed millions of christians through the evidence of evolution with undeniable evidence of fossils with radiometric dating.

Really? Says who? Prove it. The idea is to get people to question their holy books. Once you show it's fallibility, their worldview can crumble relatively quickly. Evolution is a good way to go about it, but I'd never start there. You can be a Christian and believe in Evolution. I'd rather point out fallacies and flaws in thinking, than tell them how stupid I think their god is. That'll just get their backs up, especially knowing that thousands of Atheists are laughing at their expense. It breeds hostility, not education.

It's not like people have made millions of reasons why Christians don't have any evidence to prove their ideas.

Yes, and they should be challenged on their lack of evidence. Citing videos where Atheists laugh at their core beliefs doesn't do that.

This video is just a different way of expressing reasons why Christianity doesn't work.

We can do better. MUCH better. There's a way to go about it. The ends don't always justify the means.

You don't have to be a professor to explain why Christianity doesn't make sense as long as you can give testable evidence of why it's unreliable.

Well, why don't I see you refuting points and arguments then? You tend to talk down to others, instead of exposing fallacious arguments or debunking claims. Let's see more of THAT, and less of 'Here's a video in which your beliefs get laughed at by hundreds of thousands of Atheists!'.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 21, 2015, Original Post Date: Nov 21, 2015 ---
    It's worth adding that... what if they're right? Sure, I find it incredibly unlikely that evidence for any god will surface any time soon, but that doesn't stop me from being open-minded to any sufficient evidence that presents itself.

Some elements of Christianity may sound silly, but that never stops me from ruling it out entirely. Let's not burn bridges. Stay skeptical, be reasonable. Always be open to evidence of the contrary.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015